Pakistani kite massacre festival

Balthamael

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/26/...in2514554.shtml

I am truly fascinated by this phenomenom. Every year lots of people end up dead or severely injured, and yet they never seem to learn that coating kite strings with glass is a bad idea. Oh yeah, and bonus points for firing into the sky near crowded areas, as well.

I always love hearing about their kite festivals. Especially the ones they have on the border with India.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Human stupidity at its finest.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The festival is regularly marred by casualties caused by sharp kite strings or celebratory gunshots fired into the air.

Well, what goes up sooner or later must come down.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Anybody have any idea where to look for statistics for fireworks/explosives related deaths on Independence day?

Welll, I... hey goddamit! _I'm Spider Jerusalem_!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I blame violent video games.

Or.

Sounds like a serious case of kite cancer.

I blame Mary Poppins. Let's go fly a kite, indeed! 8)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Kite flyers often use strings made of wire or coated with ground glass to try to cross and cut a rival's string or damage the other kite, often after betting on the outcome.

Come on, it does sound rather fun, doesn't it? Is there a video game verson yet? Kite Warriors 2, or something along those lines. And when will Jack Thompson tackle the kite-flying menace?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I think independence day deaths just reinforce the notion that we shouldn't try retaking the colony yet. Shows determination and aggression on your part.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.