Books

metadigital

We just finished reading Always Running in class. I recommend it to teenagers and young adults.

Your not all ways being honest when your telling the truth.

Everything slows down when water's around.

• 1 month later...

David & Stella Gemmel: The Fall of Kings.

Excellent conclusion to his "Troy" series. Sadly he (David) died before finishing this last book. Excellent "alternate hostory" trilogy about the events leading up and destruction of Troy.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Gemmel is dead? Since when?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Gemmel is dead? Since when?

July 2006. His wife finished the second half of his last book (The Fall of Kings) in 2007

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh, damn. I really liked the few books by him I managed to find.

RIP David.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

David Gemmel books were a huge part of my teenage years. Without him I might not have become such an avid reader. He will definitely be missed, his books were quick and he had an amazing way of making action scenes easy to follow.

Right now I'm into these Vampire Earth books by EE Knight. I thought they would be lame, given most vampire stuff is, but they really aren't. They move fast and have a very solid post-apocalyptic setting. The vampires aren't really standard definition vamps either.

The Islamist

It's a book by a guy who became a jifascist, and then why he quit. It's politically fascinating, but is also a surprisingly engaging description of growing up. It could easily be appreciated without the politics. I can't recommend it highly enough.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How do you read a book?

Hahahahaha :bat:.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

The Islamist

It's a book by a guy who became a jifascist, and then why he quit. It's politically fascinating, but is also a surprisingly engaging description of growing up. It could easily be appreciated without the politics. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Portmanteau from jihadist and fascist?

I tried googling it and the only two hits were you using it in threads on this forum.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Some time ago, some of us agreed to use "jifascist" when speaking about terror caused in the name of Islam instead of "jihadist" to differentiate between someone who supports, lives in or/and wages a Jihad and someone who abuses Islamic institution, law and religion in order to justify terrorism, etc.

Is this correct, Walsh?

kirottu said:

The Two Swords by Salvatore.

When I finish this, I might give Good Omens the second read it's deserved for over a decade.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Just finished "A Secret Atlas" by Michael A Stackpole...

it's different than the other works of his I've read.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I just finished The Afghan by John Forsyth. I can't really say I reccomend it, it was not that good. Next up is The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stien.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Islamist

Portmanteau from jihadist and fascist?

I tried googling it and the only two hits were you using it in threads on this forum.

As Muso says, jihadist implies that jihad - a requirement of the faith - equates to political violence. I prefer jifascist or just 'jif', since it makes plain that these radicals have more in common with fascism than Islam. Why allow them to purloin a nobler title?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

just 'jif'

Choosy moms choose Jif!

My favorite series/author/character. Actually I guess its not a series so much as 15 or so books, arranged into trilogies and such, with the same major characters. :)

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

My favorite series/author/character.

Sorry, but you have quite horrible taste when it comes to books then :mellow:

I'm currently reading:

couple of rather well known and groundbreaking scientific books, namely Dr Schwarz's The Mind and The Brain and Henry Stapp's Mindful Universe. I'm also considering taking a shot Mario Beauegard's The Spiritual Brain: Neuroscientist's case for the existence of soul purely out of curiosity. It contains a lot of important and relevant scientific studies even if you dismiss the religious overtones.

As for novels, I'm reading Kafka's famous work, The Castle.

Boy isn't it good

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The Napoleon of Notting Hill by G. K. Chesterton

Oooh! GK Chesterton!

Have you, by any chance, been prompted by Deus Ex?

-Elwood Blues

My favorite series/author/character.

Sorry, but you have quite horrible taste when it comes to books then :mellow:

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say he's probably still a teenager. That's like berating a toddler for being into Bob the Builder. Salvatore is a decent pulp action writer and it's good that he's keeping young people reading. Hopefully as "I want" grows up, he will keep reading and broaden his horizons.

I think I read all the Salvatore books in college. They were fun.

I was given a Salvatore book for Christmas a couple of years ago. I love to read and thought I might enjoy getting into some of the fantasy writers... but I couldn't get very far. His description of the first character irked me to no end. Honestly... I don't want characters described in a data dump, especially not if they're as "perfect" as this one seemed to be... it just feels so... fake.

Ok, I know, it's fantasy... but seriously...

Of course, the last thing I read was "Princess Academy" (it won a Newberry Award!), so take that for what it's worth...

What? I like juevenille fiction... :p

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

Sorry, but you have quite horrible taste when it comes to books then :p
I wouldn't go that far. I'd say he's probably still a teenager. That's like berating a toddler for being into Bob the Builder. Salvatore is a decent pulp action writer and it's good that he's keeping young people reading. Hopefully as "I want" grows up, he will keep reading and broaden his horizons.

I think I read all the Salvatore books in college. They were fun.

Did it suddenly get douchebag in here?

Yeah, you're right, they are fun. The action is fun, the bits of humor are fun. Almost every book is tons of fun to read.

Spine of the World was terrible, though. The Wulfgar bits were good, but I can't really be interested in hearing about some some tart's idiotic love problems and engangement to an airheaded prince. Also, Drizzt's section intros should be shot and killed.

i don't mind Salvatore

sure it's not great, but it's not terrible

though admittedly the way he writes the dialogue for Cattie-Brie... :p

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!