Books

metadigital

Haven't gotten time to go to the library, for a while, but the last books I read were Bartimaeus, (for what, the fifth time..?), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, (what, for the tenth time?!), and some R.A. Salvatore books, based upon Drizzt Do'Urden. Realistic books are boring books, to me. I could just go watch a movie if I wanted to do that, you know...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Haven't gotten time to go to the library, for a while, but the last books I read were Bartimaeus, (for what, the fifth time..?), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, (what, for the tenth time?!), and some R.A. Salvatore books, based upon Drizzt Do'Urden. Realistic books are boring books, to me. I could just go watch a movie if I wanted to do that, you know...

And I could just go play BG for the nth time if I wanted mindless escapism, you know...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think i've broken some kind of personal record, as I now have more than 10 books on the go at once. There's three open in each bathroom!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished "Legion" by Dan Abnett.

Seventh book of the "Horus Heresy" series, which has quicly turned into my favourite fiction series. The ending of the book was a genuine surprise... :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest The Architect

I finished Twilight last week and am looking forward to the sequel when I get my hands on it later this week.

I'm finally reading that last 3 books of Robert Jordans WoT. Heart of Winter was great, Crossroads of Twilight was slow and hard to get through. Knife of Dreams has been pretty good. Nice to see some plots actually concluding. Looks like the last book will have to tie up a lot of unfinished business though.

Am I the only one who wants to see Tam and Rand meet one more time before the end?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

crossroads of twilight was a test of patience

it was pretty much a book of minor characters, and almost nothing about the key characters

knife of dreams seemed kinda... i dunno... kinda hurried. almost as if RJ realised that "oh **** i gotta finish everything in these next 2 books!"

i can't recall off hand, but when did Rand last see Tam?

is it since Eye of the World?

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

• 2 weeks later...
i can't recall off hand, but when did Rand last see Tam?

is it since Eye of the World?

Yep. Heck, Tam only found out who Rand really was at the end of "Knife". The biggest problem with this series is there are long streches of writing where the story does not advance. I remember taking creative writing in college and one of the rules is that every paragraph, every sentence, every word must advance the story.

Well, I've read every book I own (some more than once) and I need to hit Amazon tonight. I'm in the mood for something similar to WoT or GRRM's Ice and Fre series. Anyone ever read Raymond Feists work? He has a few series that I gather are interconnected. Or Stephen Eriksons "Mazlan" series? I usually steer away from fantasy because so much of it is just crap. Any good ones out there?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm reading the 4th book in Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series, Sword Song. It follows the story of a fictional Saxon warrior during the rise of Alfred the Great. It's extremely awesome, it reads like a great fantasy novel, but it does it's best to stay as close to the known history as possible. The struggles between the relatively young Christian religion and the strong Pagan believes of the Danes and Saxons is incredibly well done.

The biggest problem with this series is there are long streches of writing where the story does not advance. I remember taking creative writing in college and one of the rules is that every paragraph, every sentence, every word must advance the story.

Funny that, I just finished Paul Auster's City of Glass which is notorious for having long passages that can be interpreted as having hardly anything to do with the actual story. Not to mention, it's never clear in the disjointed and fractured world(though not narrative) what the heck is connected and what is the actual story about. On the surface, it is crime/detective fiction, but soon it starts to deal with metafiction in the form of how detective novels are actually constructed and soon alienates not only the reader, but the focalizer(I mean, the author is a character in the story ffs) and the main character as well.

I really loved it.

Well, I've read every book I own (some more than once) and I need to hit Amazon tonight. I'm in the mood for something similar to WoT or GRRM's Ice and Fre series. Anyone ever read Raymond Feists work? He has a few series that I gather are interconnected. Or Stephen Eriksons "Mazlan" series? I usually steer away from fantasy because so much of it is just crap. Any good ones out there?

Well, Wheel of Time is so diluted nowadays that I almost feel like it's better to read a story synopsis from Wiki for each novel and not have to drudge through that brickhouse of a book series again,

Anyway, you should consider Feist. Start with Riftwar and Serpentwar and decide for yourself if you like them enough to branch of to the various sequels and prequels. He's one of the few fantasy authors who can still grab me. Writes in a satisfyingly martial and figurative style and yet never tries to anything but a fantasy author(unlike a certain Goodkind). The world isn't original, but he has a nice planar-thing going on and creates similar power plots and schemes as R.R Martin. Feist is up there with Robin Hobb and her masterful Assassin and Fool books in my favorite fantasists.

You might also consider Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone(aka "Stormbringer") books. He loves his multiverses, alternate timelines and realities and has an ample amount of swords and sorcery to bolster a great grip on allusion and intertextuality. Consider The Skrayling Tree for instance, where he merges Longfellow's Hiawatha into a Scandinavian underworld journey onto the East Coast and colors it with Post-WW2 drama and his ever-present idea of reality being "just" a battleground between forces of creativity and order. Moorcock is awesome and should be mandatory reading after Planescape Torment.

I'm trying to find Sword's Song myself, I've really liked Cornwell's Saxon books and his Warlord saga(post-Roman Britain and his vision of King Arthur) is my favorite historical fiction. It is so personal and yet to epic.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Letters To A Christian Nation by Sam Harris

Great book - how do you like it so far? :lol:

Its like a condensed End of Faith narrowed on Christianity. I liked it but some of the stuff he really glosses over like Morality i thought. His points are solid and the bible verses are gold. Can't disagree with him. Have you read the God Delusion by Dawkins? I totally love his point to openly criticize belief in the supernatural just like one would with alchemy and unicorns. Theres definitely a problem when issues like stem cell research, teaching abstinence in Africa, Pastors giving the president foreign policy aide. I think Harris's method of criticizing, is one of the necessary ways to help our society see true pain and suffering.

Overall good stuff :*

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Halo: Ghosts of Onyx by Eric Nylund

Book Four in the Halo Series

Based around post-Halo 2 era, Spartan-III and Spartan-IIs work together to stop the Sentinels and Covenant forces on the shield world Onyx. (Halo being the weapon world.)

Twitter | @Insevin

Have you read the God Delusion by Dawkins? I totally love his point to openly criticize belief in the supernatural just like one would with alchemy and unicorns.

Yeah, that was great. You might also want to check out God is not Great and The Tower of Babel, although the latter book on the ID movement is now outdated in some regards.

Also, getting back on the topic of books that are being read, I am reading "Japan 1945: A U.S. Marine's Photographs from Ground Zero" as well as about two dozen other books on the bombings and the Manhattan Project. If anyone knows of particular gems that I should read, and that are accidemically sound, feel free to comment.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Well, last night I ordered the first four books of Bernard Cornwells Saxon series. I also ordered Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote, and Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. I should be good for a while. Thanks Hurlshot and Musopticon for the ideas.

Thomas Sowell