Books

metadigital

Just finished Bad Monkeys, which has a brilliant dustjacket and beginning, but unfortunately it descends into a mediochre mess before it's halfway through.

Still worth a read of the back cover and first chapter (which is what triggered me to buy it).

11uA0AruteL.jpg

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Rereading The Sea Wolf by Jack London. This was far and away his best work.

Wolf Larsen: "Look at him now. True he is not what you would term muscular, but he has muscles, which is more than he had when he came aboard. He also has legs to stand on. You would not think so to look at him but he was quite unable to stand alone at first."

Van Weyden: "I stand on my own legs and I have yet to stamp upon others with them"

Wolf Larsen: "Your education is only half completed then."

Literary gold

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Children of Dune

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The Princess Bride

love the movie, thought i'd check out the book :)

I found both greatly enjoyable, although I like the book a shade more.

I just finished the last Harry Potter book. It was good ending to the series and I enjoyed all seven books thoroughly.

Next up is a Korean book titled 'Sword' which chronicles the exploits of Admiral Yi during the Japanese Invasion of Korea under Hideyoshi. I find this part of Korean-Japanese history fascinating.

• 3 weeks later...

Miami Ice by Dave Rosenbaum. It's about the founding of the Florida Panthers NHL team cuminating with the 1996 Stanley Cup run. The end of game 4 was the only time I have ever cried at a sporting event. Not because the Panthers lost, but because the season was over. Anyway, the book is a great read if you like hockey.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Koushun Takami's Battle Royale

I bought this from a bargain shelf in a dingy little Monmouthian book shoppe. So far, pushing 200 pages, I'm not disappointed on the lost 4 and half pounds and hours. I've intentionally yet to watch the movie, having bought the book a year ago and been able to watch the movie several times but deciding against it, simply because I don't wish to spoile yet another pulp classic. Yes, that was a pure assumption, I get it. However, I might give the book a rest and watch the movie, since I have no doubt that there's a ton of nuances and flavor lost in translation and the action doesn't seem to transfer well in to text form, or rather that the translator has messed up all the fight scenes.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Halfway through Wolves of the Calla. Finally commiting myself to finishing this series. I intersperse chapters with a few minutes of Phantom Hourglass (or Brain Age 2) so that I don't feel I'm neglecting das Videospiel.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Just finished The Dreaming Void by Peter F Hamilton. Set 1500 years after Pandora's star/Judas Unchained.

How is that series? I have Pandora's Star but I never got around to reading it yet. Is it worthwhile?

Thomas Sowell

It's been a while since I read it, but from memory I liked it.

It's not as dark as Night's Dawn - there is less poverty, sexual abuse (which actually disturbed me about Night's Dawn), etc. And because people are essentially immortal, death has a different meaning. But it's definitely worth reading. The alien enemy and the rogue artificial intelligence were my favourite parts.

My favourite part of The Dreaming Void was the chapters on the dreams. It was an interesting mix between mediaeval fantasy and futuristic sci-fi.

Rereading The Sea Wolf by Jack London. This was far and away his best work.

Wolf Larsen: "Look at him now. True he is not what you would term muscular, but he has muscles, which is more than he had when he came aboard. He also has legs to stand on. You would not think so to look at him but he was quite unable to stand alone at first."

Van Weyden: "I stand on my own legs and I have yet to stamp upon others with them"

Wolf Larsen: "Your education is only half completed then."

Literary gold

I heard the radio adaptation of this. Really very good. Made me think of Sando.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Abnett: "The Armour of Contempt"

My favourite in the saga of Gaunts Ghosts so far.

I mostly (when I eventually get the time) read Black Library books these days. A very mixed bag quality wise, some not being worth the paper they are printed on and some being very very good.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm reading two books right now.

An Inconvenient Book by Glenn Beck. Very witty and insightful. Something all of you should read.

Birthplace of the Winds by Jon Bowermaster. It's about Sea Kayaking in Alaska's Aleutian Islands. I'd move to Alaska tomorrow if I could find a job there.

Thomas Sowell

Dan Abnett: "The Armour of Contempt"

My favourite in the saga of Gaunts Ghosts so far.

I mostly (when I eventually get the time) read Black Library books these days. A very mixed bag quality wise, some not being worth the paper they are printed on and some being very very good.

I like dthat one. The newest one is on my Christmas list. But no-one ever pays any attention to my Christmas list.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished Ernest Hemingway on Writing today. It's a collection of Hemingway's quotes on writing. Quite good, and helpful.

Also, I'm a third of the way into The Principle of Relativity. It's a collection of essays on Relativity, both Special and General, including Einstein's original papers, and Minkowski's treatment of Special Relativity. It's awesome.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Reading A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffet. Unlike most of his other stuff this is not a long winded version of one of his songs. It is a pretty good story. Just started The Wild Within by Paul Rezendes. This book was seriously overated so far but I'll stick with it.

Thomas Sowell

I finally lured myself into reading "Sojourn" from the Dark Elf Trilogy, with the aid of some books I bought for Christmas, including the one I am starting now, Le Guin's "Tales from Earthsea".

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

i've never actually gotten around to reading the Earthsea stuff

i keep hearing about it, and getting told to read it, but i always just sort of forget

i read Salvatore's stuff a while ago. i have to say i wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for Cattie-Brie

the way he writes the dialogue for her is just so annoying

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Le Guin is my all time favourite autor :)

Tales of the Earthsea are awesome

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)