Books

metadigital

Im currently reading Perdido Street Station, by CHina Mieville. It was recommended by someone here on these boards a long time ago, and I've finally gotten around to reading it. So far :thumbsup:

Unread I have

Knife of Dreams, by the aforementioned Robert Jordan

Shaman's Crossing by also-mentioned Robin Hobb

The Illearth War, The Second Book of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Steven DOnaldson

and The Darkness that Comes Before by Scott Bakker.

It has been a LONG time since I've had 5 unread books in the house. I finished George Martin's A Feast For Crows last week -- Damn he's good. My favorite author out there.

Further out I need Steven Erikson's House of Chains, and if I feel rich I'll order the next 2 books in the series from Canada. Somewhere in there I will need a little non-fiction to keep me rooted here on earth, not sure what yet though.

Sorry -- rambled a little bit its 5 am here >_<

As capable of inconvenience, and of some damage and debt to those that would act against my interests, I cannot f*^ng argue with dangerous.

I just finsihed The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway, which is one of my fovorite books ever. I'm starting The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald which I haven't read in a very long time.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The Annals. Tacitus.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

I just finsihed The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway, which is one of my fovorite books ever.

I agree, excellent book. But I am a Hemingway fan anyway. To Have and Have Not was my favorite.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Illearth War, The Second Book of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Steven DOnaldson

Excellent series, IMO.

His Mordant's Need 2-book novel/series is pretty good too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i only read the first book in the Thomas Covenant series

it bored the pants off me so badly, i ended up wearing a skirt! :)

i mean.... wait, what? :)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Eragon, Christopher Paolini

An Introduction to the Old Testament: The Canon and Christian Imagination, Walter Brueggemann

The Prophet, Kahlil Gibran

Note including magazines :woot:

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Lodge, Art of Fiction

Bryson, Down Under

Pratchett, Thud!

Various, Ways of Reading

Chomsky, Wealth and the People(eng?)

Some X-men, what we get imported tends to be so very random.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I so want to read that book. My Canadian linguist teacher practically praised it from Earth to Heaven.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The Black Company by Glenn Cook

Best Line Ever written: "Evil is relative Annalist. You can't hang a sign on it. You can't touch it or taste it or cut it wit ha sword. Evil depends on where you are standing, pointing your indicating finger. Where you stand now, because of your oath, is opposite the Dominator. For you he is where your Evil lies."

Too bad the series goes way downhill after the third book but fortunatly the last book is insanly good.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I love the Black Company books! Croakers perspective especially - he's got a lot of great quotes. Haven't finished the series yet, good to know that it pickes back up.

As capable of inconvenience, and of some damage and debt to those that would act against my interests, I cannot f*^ng argue with dangerous.

I so want to read that book. My Canadian linguist teacher practically praised it from Earth to Heaven.

It's okay ... more a short walk through the History of Science, but if universities can teach history of art, then I think books like this are well overdue. :p

I read a similarly excellent analysis on the subject called Timescale: an Atlas of the Fourth Dimension, but I think it's well and truly out of print now (I read it mid-80s).

I didn't find too many errors in the text, just a couple in the first chapter(s) about the beginnings of the universe (lots has happened in the last few years in this area) and towards the end Bryson would have done well to read Deacon's The Symbolic Species to explain the expansion of homo sapiens' brain volume (above that of the superior neanderthals).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Finished The Great Gatsby. Didn't remember any of the second half. Don't know what to think. The first half had a very organic feel, while the second half had a very heavily plotted feel which made it feel like two different stories.

ALso read When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger, a sort of Islamic SF/private investigator story. Very much casual reading but enjoyable. The Islamic take gives some of the cliches an interesting spin.

Currently wading through Moby ****. Melville's prose is a bit irascible in places, but overall quite entrancing. Preferable to John Grisham anyway.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Finished The Great Gatsby. Didn't remember any of the second half. Don't know what to think. The first half had a very organic feel, while the second half had a very heavily plotted feel which made it feel like two different stories.

ALso read When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger, a sort of Islamic SF/private investigator story. Very much casual reading but enjoyable. The Islamic take gives some of the cliches an interesting spin.

Currently wading through Moby ****. Melville's prose is a bit irascible in places, but overall quite entrancing. Preferable to John Grisham anyway.

I couldn't stand the great gatsby. Theres a chapter that does nothing but list who he invites to a party. Not my opinion of quality writing. I gave up halfway through because it was so bad. Which considering how short the book is, is pretty bad.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I remember liking the film version of Gatsby. I saw a lot of those in history/english classes in highschool. The book is a bit boring for my tastes tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I love the Black Company books! Croakers perspective especially - he's got a lot of great quotes. Haven't finished the series yet, good to know that it pickes back up.

Murgen's books are confusing, Sleepy and Lady don't have nearly the grumbling about the life Croaker has because they lead rather than start out following. Of course, by the fourth and fifth books Croaker gets a little bit out of his character. Fortunatly Soldiers Live is right back in his element.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.