Books

metadigital

Promise of the Witch King by R.A. Salvatore

After I finish book 3 in that trilogy (promise is only book 2), I'm going to read http://www.jonathanstrange.com/ Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Friend keeps recommending it every time I mention how much I love The Prestige.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I got the latest Wheel of Time book for christmas so I'm rereading the series before I start that. Its amazing just how much I missed when I started reading the series over 10 years ago. Though I'm dreading getting up to the more recent books with their 800 pages of nothing.

After I'm done that I have to read Naked Empire, the next one I haven't read in the Sword of Truth series, which people had told me wasn't as good as Wheel of Time and I now call them filthy filthy liars as it is far better. Richard is a far more interesting character than Rand, and theres not as much boring filler.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Just finished rererererererereading Jonathan Livinston Seagull, one of the wisest and best books ever written. I still think same way I did after reading it for very first time: Everyone should read it at least once.

I've read some 60 pages of Dostoevsky Crime and Punishment. I doubt that book needs introduction.

I am also rereading Eiji Yoshikawa's Miyamoto Musashi after 3-4 years. It's still best sold book in Japan. Great and epic book about live of Musashi, propably greatest samurai of all time and national hero of Japan. I love this book. :wub:

Hyperion By Dan Smith currently

I just finished The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

Dan SIMMONS :thumbsup:

Maybe THE scifi book of all time

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

5832_15304_1.jpg
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think I will eventually finish the series, it's just that the last three books have been so utterly boring. The only high point was the cleansing of...well you know.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

The final WOT book might be a long time in coming. Mr. Jordan has been fighting a usually terminal blood disease this past year. The good news is, he is doing better. Much better in fact. I know he says he is comitted to finishing his series. But I think concerns like that are secondary to him right now.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just finished Birthday Stories; there were one or two good pieces in there. Any males wanting to understand how women think, I recommend talking to intelligent (and trustworthy) women; failing that, you will get a good start by reading Andrea Lee, who wrote one of the stories in this anthology (The Birthday Present). I really enjoyed the first story, too.

It was a good break from "real" reading, so now I shall re-commence with Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus, or The Art of War, and probably the latter as another novel would not be as fun unless as a change. I bought The Book of Five Rings (Miyamoto Musashi, translated by Thomas Cleary).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The final WOT book might be a long time in coming. Mr. Jordan has been fighting a usually terminal blood disease this past year. The good news is, he is doing better. Much better in fact. I know he says he is comitted to finishing his series. But I think concerns like that are secondary to him right now.

I think its been said that if he dies before finishing it, his wife will finish it, as she's been his editor/proofreader/whatever since book one and knows how its all sposed to turn out and such.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

5832_15304_1.jpg

:thumbsup:

Where did you get that? How much did it cost?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Bought it from Helsingin Fantasiapelit last friday, 40

kirottu said:

(Joseph Heller's) Something Happened - I wish I had the time and composure to quote the actual book (there's a childhood reminiscence near the end, I really enjoy), but seeing how that's not going to happen, I'll just paste (and copy, and cut, and keep the essential part of) Vonnegut's review:

There will be a molasses-like cautiousness about accepting this book as an important one. It took more than a year for "Catch-22" to gather a band of enthusiasts. I myself was cautious about that book. I am cautious again.

The uneasiness which many people will feel about liking "Something Happened" has roots which are deep. It is no casual thing to swallow a book by Joseph Heller, for he is, whether he intends to be or not, a maker of myths. (One way to do this, surely, is to be the final and most brilliant teller of an oft-told tale.) "Catch-22" is now the dominant myth about Americans in the war against fascism. "Something Happened," if swallowed, could become the dominant myth about the middle- class veterans who came home from that war to become heads of nuclear families. The proposed myth has it that those families were pathetically vulnerable and suffocating. It says that the heads of them commonly took jobs which were vaguely dishonorable or at least stultifying, in order to make as much money as they could for their little families, and they used that money in futile attempts to buy safety and happiness. The proposed myth says that they lost their dignity and their will to live in the process.

It says they are hideously tired now.

To accept a new myth about ourselves is to simplify our memories--and to place our stamp of approval on what might become an epitaph for our era in the shorthand of history. This, in my opinion, is why critics often condemn our most significant books and poems and plays when they first appear, while praising feebler creations. The birth of a new myth fills them with primitive dread, for myths are so effective.

And David Lodge('s) Thinks ... - which has a great scene in Messenger's laying of the shepard's wife, but is a little hampered by its structure; I'm sure all our resident wannabe atheists (+ science nerds) would love Messenger - while on a furlough (away away away) from Something Happened.

It is no casual thing to swallow a book by Joseph Heller, for he is, whether he intends to be or not, a maker of myths. (One way to do this, surely, is to be the final and most brilliant teller of an oft-told tale.) "Catch-22" is now the dominant myth about Americans in the war against fascism.

I really didn't like Catch-22 that much. And I disagree that it has become "the dominant myth about Americans in the war against fascism," too. It was okay, and well worth reading, but I got really, really bored before the end. And I don't think that it speaks to every citizen of the USA, and I don't think it is regarded that highly by them, either.

Just finished The Art of War (Sun-Tzu and translated by John Minford).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Dead Zone/Stephen King.

I'm so pedestrian re: books. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I really didn't like Catch-22 that much. And I disagree that it has become "the dominant myth about Americans in the war against fascism," too. It was okay, and well worth reading, but I got really, really bored before the end. And I don't think that it speaks to every citizen of the USA, and I don't think it is regarded that highly by them, either.

Right, and he should have at least restricted his comments to the literary world (Rah-Rah action films have had, I think, a greater influence on the average citizen's mentality), but one can't really deny its (clout and) impact on the way art has subsequently tackled the - whatyoucallit - "insanity of war"; The Good Soldier