Second Life

LadyCrimson

Has anyone here tried this? I've been reading articles like this one, watching YT videos about it, and listening to people who have joined up, and it's kind of intriguing. I'm not sure I'd want to get into it myself, since it sounds like a serious time-sink, but the concept is interesting; the ultimate on-line Sims w/some real life business/creativity potential, perhaps? I'll be curious to see where it goes - if it goes anywhere. Perhaps Obsidian could open up a virtual booth? :sorcerer:

The actual game site is here.

Rueters has a video about it and their own involvement here.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That game has incredible grief potential. You should hear about some of the things goons have done.

Just saying.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm not sure what's meant by grief potential...

It's in it's early stages - whether it turns into something with bigger possibilities for the masses or slumps down into a nothing more than Sim titilation remains to be seen. Kinda depends how the company handles things I guess?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That game is enormously hyped here, almost everyday they write something about it in the newspapers: How much money one can make playing this game, cracked servers, in-game presence of real-life firms etc. It sounds quite boring to me, the typical possibility to escape for people without real life, as it seems to be not much but a life-simulation where you can pimp your avatar. I wouldn't waste my time and money with this platform for self-display...

Note: This is a completely biased opinion, and not based upon ever playing the game :sorcerer:

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I wouldn't say it is in its early stages. The game is several years old, now.

Grief potential: People have built vehicles that caged up other people. People building guns that did the same. Goons built a monument featuring a plane flying into two buildings. People running around on flying dongs.

Look up Second Life Safari. Youtube apparently is banning the videos, but you can find a few on google vids.

Edited by Tale

@ samm - I kinda of agree. I wouldn't have the time or energy it sounds like it would take to get really 'serious' about the game. The toolsets and making stuff, setting up shops, all that, could be fun maybe, but too much work. At most it'd be a fun kind of virtual chat engine for me, I think. :)

There's a video on YT showing the S. Vega bit - it's kind of weird watching a frozen-faced Sim-like avatar sing and talk in a 'stars' voice.

@ Tale - ah...well, that's to be expected in a virtual world where people can build their own things.

The game's been a few years, but it sounds like for a while there weren't many regular users until they changed some things around. And imo, a virtual reality type of environment can take years to really develop fully.

Really? So you'd log in and listen to the teacher avatar and such? Interesting! :)

Yeah, I'm sure like w/any on-line game, finding a group of like-minded people to hang out/play with is important to fun-factor. :)

I may try installing it just to walk around a bit...I'm getting more and more curious to see what the 'fuss' is about.

Heh, yeah, apparently virtual terrorism is becoming a problem in SL. But the sad thing is that it's not common trolling, it's committed by people who have some kind of virtual "political ideology". FFS, if you're going to throw rendered **** at people, do it because it's fun, not because the internet real estate board is corrupt.

Heh, yeah, apparently virtual terrorism is becoming a problem in SL. But the sad thing is that it's not common trolling, it's committed by people who have some kind of virtual "political ideology". FFS, if you're going to throw rendered **** at people, do it because it's fun, not because the internet real estate board is corrupt.

That seems to be a growing problem for all interactive net ventures, whether myspace, youtube, or SL. The balance between profit and user desires causing malcontent, I mean.

Does sound sad, tho, to organize it and wage some kind of agenda-war like that. It's a virtual world - sheesh. Don't like changes to environment, time to move on. Either that or just accept changes come to any world. <_<

Yeah there's quite a lot of goons there, but also furries and pervs. Not that most goons arent furries or pervs.

What? I heard they rounded up all the furries into a special forum concentration camp then banned (executed) them. Some people point to it as a classic case of "fursecution."

Yeah there's quite a lot of goons there, but also furries and pervs. Not that most goons arent furries or pervs.

What? I heard they rounded up all the furries into a special forum concentration camp then banned (executed) them. Some people point to it as a classic case of "fursecution."

There will always, ALWAYS be furries.

Especially virtual life!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.