S.t.a.l.k.e.r.: Shadow of Chernobyl (impressions video inside)

Lare Kikkeli

I still remember when this game was supposed to be released summer 2003.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh crap, I'm hyped to hell about this game already. That awesome french video REALLY didn't help me get back on earth either! I shouldn't have watched it!! AAIIEEH!

One thing that annoys me about this game is what those french dudes were discussing. You don't level up in the ordinary way in this game, using experience points and all that crap. The way you level up is by finding new weapons and equipment, which are pretty scarce. That's also one of the key design choices I've made for my own dream project too!! I can't believe these Russian guys stole my fabulous idea :o Still, it will be cool to see if it actually works in a game. The dangerous thing about such a "leveling" system is that if you find too good a weapon too early, you'll be too powerful too early and you'll feel like you've stagnated if you never find anything better than that weapon again. That happened to me in Silent Storm early on and it really takes away a lot of the fun in a game. Game balance really is vital. Also, there has to be a plethora of highly different weapons for this idea to work properly.

Anyhow, the delay was announced back in January so it's not really new news. Only a month to go!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Boo, I missed the Closed Beta.

I applied but I was not chosen. It doesn't bother me too much though, it was only the multiplayer parts they were (are?) beta testing.

And I can't believe they bothered to implement multiplayer but they didn't make a co-op mode! ARGH, STUPID RUSSIANS!

You know.. everything east of Finland is Russia to me. Actually.. some parts of Finland are probably Russian too, now that I think about it. :woot:

Yeah, well people always called the Soviets "Russians" as well. Can't be too surprised I guess.

EDIT: Also, was that the original Diablo Town music playing at the beginning?

EDIT2: I'm not looking forward to those things at the end of the video.

Edited by alanschu

The graphics seem good enough, and secondary to what interests me in this game.

I agree, and the graphics seemed pretty decent, anyway, but the gameplay is certainly very interesting ... :yes:

Oh crap, I'm hyped to hell about this game already. That awesome french video REALLY didn't help me get back on earth either! I shouldn't have watched it!! AAIIEEH!

One thing that annoys me about this game is what those french dudes were discussing. You don't level up in the ordinary way in this game, using experience points and all that crap. The way you level up is by finding new weapons and equipment, which are pretty scarce. That's also one of the key design choices I've made for my own dream project too!! I can't believe these Russian guys stole my fabulous idea :) Still, it will be cool to see if it actually works in a game. The dangerous thing about such a "leveling" system is that if you find too good a weapon too early, you'll be too powerful too early and you'll feel like you've stagnated if you never find anything better than that weapon again. That happened to me in Silent Storm early on and it really takes away a lot of the fun in a game. Game balance really is vital. Also, there has to be a plethora of highly different weapons for this idea to work properly.

To be fair, that has always been an integral part of RPGs ... after all, half the fun/benefit of higher levels is the ph@tl00t that you find/sell or buy.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

A world without phat l00t would be an empty and sad world indeed. :yes:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I've personally never been a fan of "fat loot". I think it's much more satisfying to get those incredibly rare upgrades from time to time. I loved how, if you were a thorough enough explorer, in Gothic 2 you could find all sorts of rare and unique weapons hidden around the world. That's what I want from a game.

I'm also sick and tired of having levels and experience that turns you from rat fodder to dragon slayer in a few levels. What the hell did you start out as, if a rat can beat the living crap out of you? And what are you at the end, when you can solo that 20 ton dragon? I vastly prefer systems where you start out as a human being and the "levels" (or whatever it is that makes you progress) make you better, but not super-human. More like a trained human. I'm hoping that's the feeling I'll get from STALKER.