Monitor Resolutions

Sand

JHust how dangerous is it to exceed your monitor's maximum resolution? Recently, when I updated the drivers for my ATI card as well as upping my RAM I got 2 new settings for resolutions, but both exceed my monitor's maximum resolution. I did try one out and still got a picture and not the usual "Out of Range" error. Does it physically harm the monitor to do this or what?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

It is a 20.1 inch Westinghouse LCD monitor which supposedly have a 1400 x 1050 max resolution.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

So having higher resolution than its native doesn't hurt the monitor, but makes the display look crappy?

Um... Mine can.

Native it is 1400 x 1050 but I can reach settings 1776 x 1000 and 1900 x 1200, both widescreen settings and the monitor is not widescreen.

Yes.

Here's a pic of the 1920 x 1080. I misread, not 1900 x 1200, but close.

post-17979-1172204793_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sand

I wish, but no. It gets kind of squished.

If it's the native resolution, I'd highly recommend playing in that.

If I understand LCDs correctly, there are precisely 1400x1050 cells in your monitor. If you play outside of that resolution, your monitor is not going to be able to show all the pixels properly.

It's for this reason alone I stick with CRT monitors.

Most probably. I just thought it wass weird that I got those options and they work, but with the screen scrunched up.

If it's above the native resolution, it's interlacing, isn't it?

It might hurt your eyes / give you a headache, but it shouldn't do any damage to a LCD.

Having a skewed screen isn't really preferable to having a smaller, accurate rendering.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I can run higher resolutions than the native 640x480 on my LCD TV, what happens is that it gets blurrier just like if you run a lower resolution. With LCD's you run at native and native only.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If it's above the native resolution, it's interlacing, isn't it?

It might hurt your eyes / give you a headache, but it shouldn't do any damage to a LCD.

Having a skewed screen isn't really preferable to having a smaller, accurate rendering.

I know. I just thought that it was strange that after I put in the new ram and update the drivers I get new screen resolutions just like that. In any case my next monitor is going to be HD ready (hopefully with a tuner) widescreen monitor with 1080i resolution capabilities.

Do plasma screens have a native resolution in the same way as LCDs?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Do plasma screens have a native resolution in the same way as LCDs?

If by native you mean max, then yes. I am not sure if you can fiddle about with the resolution of a plasma display. Low res source material is just upscaled to fit the screen.

But does a plasma screen's image lose quality if you use a lower resolution than normal?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Anyone have any ideas on how I can lower the brightness on my monitor even lower. I have it on absolute zero brightness from my actual monitor (manually done from monitor buttons) but it's still really bright and if I'm on my computer for a long portion of time my eyes hurt and I get a headache. I've looked through some stuff on my computer (desktop properties/control panel) but I can't find anything.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.