Wing Commander makes a 360 comeback

mkreku

Apparently EA are reviving their old franchise. No news on developer or what kind of game it is, but at least it's there. I think.

Too bad it's EA or else I'd be more enthusiastic about this. I'd love another quality Elite type of game. Freelancer just didn't appeal to me..

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73318

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hmmm... I love the Wing Commander series, both the main series and the Privateer series but with EA at the helm I will not even bother. Besides if its going to be a X Box 360 only affair there is another reason to ignore it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Hmmm....

I have to say that when you look at how EA treated Origin's other major game series, Ultima, you wonder how respectful they'll be of Wing Commander. I never really played the games - my main exposure was finding a Kilrathi ship in a field in Ultima VII - but as I recall it was very much focused on space combat missions, not a trading game like Elite at all.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

In truth there was two types of Wing Commander games. One was your character in the military doing space combat mission and the other was your character being a pirvateer along the border worlds. The latter was very much akin to Elite and Freelancer.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Well, I hope they treat it less like a frenetic combat shooter and more like a space combat simulator (I know, that sounds odd). But the great thing about the early WC games and the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series was the strategy involved in flying a spacecraft. It wasn't just point and fire.

Hmmm....

I have to say that when you look at how EA treated Origin's other major game series, Ultima, you wonder how respectful they'll be of Wing Commander. I never really played the games - my main exposure was finding a Kilrathi ship in a field in Ultima VII - but as I recall it was very much focused on space combat missions, not a trading game like Elite at all.

The Wing Commander series was a sequence of missions that you, as a new flight cadet, flew through. It even had a semi-dynamic campaign, depending on whether or not you successfully completed missions. They also created a spinoff in the universe, called Privateer. While Privateer did have a storyline (which was bugged in my version of the game), it was a more open-ended, sandbox game where you could do trading, pirating, or be a mercenary.

And yes, Privateer 2 did star Clive Owen. I remember when I first saw a movie preview with him in it (heck, probably King Arthur), and I was reminded that I first saw him in a video game!

As for the "strategy," I don't really remember the WC nor TIE FIghter games really being a whole heck of a lot more different than "point and fire." The only exceptions of course being you sometimes had to focus on a group of ships (torpedo ships and bombers) from taking out your capital ships.

Edited by alanschu

Mark Hamil for the win

Yup. It would be no Wing Commander without Mark Hamil. Come on EA, don't be too cheap :sad:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I doubt they would have live actors in the game. Perhaps CG scenes like Indigo Prophecy with space combat in the middle, with Mark Hamill doing the voice over for Blair.

Mark Hamil for the win

Yup. It would be no Wing Commander without Mark Hamil. Come on EA, don't be too cheap :sad:

I don't know, the first two Wing Commanders didn't have Mark Hamill (nor did they have some chap named Christopher Blair). I enjoyed Wing Commander 3, but I found the first two to be significantly better.

I doubt they would have live actors in the game. Perhaps CG scenes like Indigo Prophecy with space combat in the middle, with Mark Hamill doing the voice over for Blair.

CG scenes like Indigo Prophecy?

Usually when I see someone talking about CG, they're talking about pre-rendered. You are a weird one.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Mark Hamil for the win

I don't know, the first two Wing Commanders didn't have Mark Hamill (nor did they have some chap named Christopher Blair). I enjoyed Wing Commander 3, but I found the first two to be significantly better.

j/k :ninja:

Personally, i liked the second one the most.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Apparently the Wing Commander Arena is pretty far into development, as Gamespot has had a chance to see it already.

"While the single-player game serves as a good introduction to the action, you'll likely spend most of your time in Arena's online multiplayer modes."

Boo! :woot:

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sim/wingco...e;picks;story;1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!