Is this a waste of taxpayers time and money?

Arkan

"Try to think back to when you were that age, it was probably not the easiest time in your life."

I remember it. And, it was rather easy. Bullies were a part of life. I dealt with them. I moved on. Game over.

I rather deal with someone trying to bully me or others then morons you have to deal as an adult.

Life as a teen or child is rather easy unless you have a serious illness or your parents are screwed up.

Nice try; though.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Try to think back to when you were that age, it was probably not the easiest time in your life."

I remember it. And, it was rather easy. Bullies were a part of life. I dealt with them. I moved on. Game over.

I rather deal with someone trying to bully me or others then morons you have to deal as an adult.

Life as a teen or child is rather easy unless you have a serious illness or your parents are screwed up.

Nice try; though.

Well it would be rather mean of me to wish otherwise, but you could try empathising with people who found it harder. I was a bully at prep school, and a victim of bullying when older. i found it far more distressing than any of the occasions where I was actually offered violence, theft, or other abuse ever since. I regard it as a fundamental target of civilisation that no-one should suffer from it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I was bullied from grade school all th way through high school. I fought every single bully that came at me and I fought every single bully who thought they could get at my friends. Yes, I got in toruble for fighting but my mom always asked one thing to the principles that kept me in school. She asked them if I started these fights and every single time they had to say no. In her view if I didn't start them then I wasn't in the wrong. Go figure. However more than one bully had been surprise how much an impact a backpack full of gaming books can make in one's head.

You fight bullies, and if those in power don't do anything, then you do it yourself.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

"Well it would be rather mean of me to wish otherwise, but you could try empathising with people who found it harder."

Nah. I know it's not PC; but I don't. I say get over it; and I had plenty of peopel try to bully me. Like Sand, I simply didn't take it. I either ignored them, or if the wannabe bully went too far, usually by resorting to physical attacks, I defended myself. I won some fights, and lost some fights. *shrug*

Hell, one punk kept on trying to bully me, and when we got into at least 10 fights over several years. He beat me every single time. But, he finally figured out that his bullying attacks simply didn't work despite the fact he was stronger than me and he started actually treating me with respect. We even got along during high school reasonably well. Not myf avorite person; but not bad.

I don't have time for weaklings who cna't handle mean people. Mean people exist. Whether you are 5, 10, 20, or 50. That's life. You deal.

btw, That doesn't mean you should allow bullies to get away it. If it's just words - like this internet thing - you either fire back with words or ignore it. If it gets physical, you defend yourself or if you feel you can't, then your report the attacks to those in charge since attacking someone is illegal no matter the age.

Game over, BULLIES, game over.

I'm sure it could; but if you are trying to implying that's what I had you are wrong. L0L

The guy simply grew up, and matured. That's part of life.

Alanshu: R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

yar?

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

:rolleyes:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Volo, what you're talking about is great if you reckon we should live like apes! I was taught that a strong man doesn't just watch his own back. He stands up for others. I agree that bullies exist, and part of fighting them is getting tough. But equally some people find it hard to deal.

My question is not "What right have people to expect to be defended?" My question is "What right do people have to bully?" You think Big Jimmy should be permitted to beat down and terrify someone just because they can?

The converse argument a friend of mine uses is simply that if he sees anyone hurting someone just because they are able, then he goes and hurts THEM because he is able.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

^Oh, so might DOES make right.

Not in my opinion. It's been my observation that folks as enjoy that theory cease doing so as soon as the inevitable meeting occurs 'twixt them and someone mightier than they are.

-Elwood Blues

In other words, might doesn't make right but it helps. :ninja:

In other words, might doesn't make right but it helps. :ninja:

I'm sure Meta will know which ancient philosopher we're mimicking! :)

-Elwood Blues

Try to think back to when you were that age, it was probably not the easiest time in your life.
Having older brothers, I think I know all about being bullied. Plus the twits at school. Nothing new to me. You adapt, you fight if need be, you get on, you get over it.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Volo, what you're talking about is great if you reckon we should live like apes! I was taught that a strong man doesn't just watch his own back. He stands up for others. I agree that bullies exist, and part of fighting them is getting tough. But equally some people find it hard to deal.

My question is not "What right have people to expect to be defended?" My question is "What right do people have to bully?" You think Big Jimmy should be permitted to beat down and terrify someone just because they can?

The converse argument a friend of mine uses is simply that if he sees anyone hurting someone just because they are able, then he goes and hurts THEM because he is able.

And that is exactly why you are a moderator and a bigger person than the rest of us.

"I was taught that a strong man doesn't just watch his own back."

Eh? I didn't say otherwise.

"I agree that bullies exist, and part of fighting them is getting tough. But equally some people find it hard to deal."

I never claimed to be tough. Far from it. I'm rather skinny, and have absolutely no muscles whatever.

My point is we should stop babying kids. It's also depends on the defintion of bullying. If bullying to you equates to beta ing the crap out of someone else then absolutely it should be stopped. Like I said in my other posts, if that happens to you or you see it happen then by all means report it.

Physically attacking anothe rhuman being is alreayd considered illegal 9not to mention wrong). It's usually termed physical assault.

I'm referring mostly to silly insults and attacks which is important to this thread since we're discussing online 'bullying' which is just words (and sometimes pics too, lol). I say to weaklings to toughen up.

Did you hear the little song called Stick and Stones.'?

I live by that philosophy. It works wonders.

If a bully is truly bullying someonme ie stealing lunch money, forcing thema way from the 'cool table', and the like than, yeha, that should be stopped... but we should be trsating 12 year old bullies like full out criminals like some want.

And, back on topic, the school should have NO right to intervere in ANY off school activities including online bullying unless it's done during school time.

Edited by Volourn

"And, back on topic, the school should have NO right to intervere in ANY off school activities including online bullying unless it's done during school time."

To go a bit further, they should have no authority to act concerning offenses committed during school time unless they are comitted on campus. If a student skips school, the school should punish the child for skipping school. Law enforcement should handle off school offenses. Otherwise, the role of schools ceases being education and becomes enforcement.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Bull. I suggested to defend yourslef if physically threatned not take a gun and blow people away because theya re mean to you or even kill those who did nothing. So, whatever.

What do you mean by bull? I understand you weren't advocating school shootings, but that is an unfortunate end result in some of these situations. I totally agree that students should defend themselves and their classmates. If every child took a stand against bullying, their wouldn't be any bullies out there. But that isn't reality. The reality is that there are kids who go to school every day absolutely terrified about being picked on, and it doesn't even have to be physical. The whole cyberbullying is just another aspect of this, and it should be something that adults are aware of, whether they are parents, school administrators, or law enforcement.

I can tell you what the typical classroom looks like. You might have 1 kid very capable of bullying in a classroom of 30. He or she probably is picked on by a parent or an older sibling. He or she probably has a 2 friends who will follow him or her around all the time because that way they avoid getting bullied themselves. Then you have one kid who doesn't quite fit in. He or she might have acne or be overweight, or might just be different than other kids. It doesn't matter what the difference is, that bully will find it and exploit it. So this different kid...why doesn't he just defend himself? Maybe he did once and got beat down, maybe he just doesn't have a confidence. It doesn't matter, the real issue is that the 26 other students aren't doing anything to help the poor kid. Those are the kids who can make a change, but it's not going to happen unless they are called out.

Anyways, I know I'm ranting here, but it's late and these are issues I have to try and solve every frickin' day. So quit acting like it's some easy cure "just defend yourself" answer.