Do you prefer the Fantasy genre for CRPG's ?

Kaftan Barlast

please vote  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Fantasy in CRPG's ?

• I prefer Fantasy
    • I prefer other genres

This is a poll to research if there is any support for the idea that a CRPG has to be fantasy to appeal to a wider audience. Note that there is no option for "I like all genres" since that information is redundant.

as for genre definition; its pretty simple. here are some examples

FANTASY: Baldur's Gate, Elder Scrolls, Planescape Torment, Gothic

NOT-FANTASY: Fallout, Bloodlines, KOTOR

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I count KotOR as a fantasy game. The Force is just another name for magic no matter how you try to explain it otherwise. I prefer other genres. A good cyberpunk CRPG would be nice.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

KotOR and Bloodlines are fantasy.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Note that there is no option for "I like all genres" since that information is redundant.

Why is that redundant?

I don't prefer any particular genre. It couldn't be more irrelevant to my choice and or enjoyment of a crpg.

I do however prefer games that come in small boxes to games that come in big boxes.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I voted non-fantasy since I'm rather tired of the genre and want something post-apocalyptic.

I agree with him regarding of being tired of fantasy, but not necessarily restricted to only post-apocalyptic genre as a want.

I personally want a supernatural setting similar to Call of Cthulhu or Alone in the Dark.

Edited by Zoma

Guys, we all know what he meant when he says fantasy. Is "Medieval" more appropriate?

Yep, didnt intend this to be another debate about semantics. "Swords&Sorcery" or "Elves&Orcs" is the same thing.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Bloodlines would also be counted as fantasy.

When I se Fantasy I think of supernatural and fantastic elements. Vampires would fall in that catagory.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

While I might question the validity of a poll taken from a niche audience (and a small niche audience at that) to gauge the potential support of a wider audience for anything, I'm going to throw my vote in with the "Fantasy" crowd. Give me soaring towers; formidable battlements; sighing ladies with pointy hats, ribbons in their hair, and heaving bosoms; and gentry in goofy-lookin' tights with their codpieces filled to the brim. Just so long as my characters don't have to wear such frippery, I'm good with it. Impossible heroic/buxom is fine, but I draw the line at goofy or clownish. Most times.

Oh, and if I were feeling contrary, I also might question the notion that the Fallout and the Star Wars universes aren't fantasy, but such were the definitons given. Kudos for providing definitons. Might cut through a lot of drivel.

Edit: ... or not. :aiee:

Edited by Magnum Opus

To those questioning the genres:

Sure, the Star Wars and Vampire universes are "fantasy." But it's pretty obvious that for the purpose of this poll, Kaftan is defining fantasy as the Tolkien-esque concept, with elves, dwarves, orcs, etc.

That style of fantasy lends itself easily to the CRPG genre. And because it's such a recognizable archetype, it requires less imagination on the part of the writer/developer and the reader/player. We've all read that story before. Its familiarity is part of its charm. However, on the flip side, that familiarity makes it a lot harder to come up with something original and stirring.

I enjoy fantasy CRPGs, but not entirely because they are fantasy. I'd buy a good CRPG, dragons or no dragons.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

*sigh* We're not having the fantasy debate again are we? Kaft I swear you were here for the last one.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Bloodlines would also be counted as fantasy.

When I se Fantasy I think of supernatural and fantastic elements. Vampires would fall in that catagory.

Exactly

If it was "pseudomedieval fantasy" instead of "fantasy" I hadn't chosen "fantasy".

I'm tired of pseudomedieval fantasy crpg's. As a whole: Nope, fantasy is too varying genre to ever get bored 8)

But really, it doesn't matter as long game is good

Sure, the Star Wars and Vampire universes are "fantasy." But it's pretty obvious that for the purpose of this poll, Kaftan is defining fantasy as the Tolkien-esque concept, with elves, dwarves, orcs, etc.

IMO it wasn't clear at all :aiee:

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

I would call Starwars, Fallout, etc "Science Fiction".

The Swords and sorcery, etc, are "Fantasy"

Therefore, give me more Science Fiction at the moment please. I like both, but Fantasy has had the hard runs. Hopefully something nice and new in the Science fiction area.

After years of similar debate IRL at the game design department of my Uni, we have now established a very easy and simple way to determine what genre a game belongs to:

"If the publisher calls it a fantasy game, it IS a fantasy game. "

And thats it. :aiee:

What about if game is just called "Star Wars game" or something like that? :aiee:

And no, SW isn't scifi.

alanschu:

Short answer: Those without supernatural content

Edited by Xard

Star Wars is Sci-Fi. It has space travel, lasers, robots, and aliens. Even the force has been explained scientificly with the midichlorians and so on. There are aliens with magic-like abilities in the Star Trek universe, yet noone goes and draws paralells to fantasy.

*sigh* We're not having the fantasy debate again are we? Kaft I swear you were here for the last one.

I have to admit I was one of the instigators of said event :aiee:"

I would like a CRPG in the very distant future.

I guess KotOR could count as a that but it's still too magicalish.

I'd like to play a being that is radically different from a humanoid. Like a big blob of goo or a being of pure energy like a spec of light flying around super fast.

Gain levels, abilities, etc.

Star Wars is fairy tale/fantasy story in space.

Nothing about SW's technology or setting is based on science. For example you can hear voices in space. Midichlorian thing is biggest crap GL ever invented, he had constantly changed his view on subject. Some time ago he annulled all talk about midichlorians, then stand behind midiclhorians again... It looks like the finan view on subject is that midichlorians aren't the force, they only make it possible to connect to it. So force still is supernatural and unscientific entitity. Besides, whole idea of some micro creatures within our each cell is completely laughable.

Whole story/concept is fantasy too, to be more precise, Space Opera. The beginning phrase "A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away" speaks for itself.

Science Fiction takes place in future and in this world. There's no supernatural (like Force) and it always is somewhat based on (unless humans have nothing to do with novel) what is currently predicted about future.

And the story... there's nothing scifi about it.

Just strip space as a milieu and you have story/concept that is pure fantasy.