X-Com - the revenge?

Llyranor

XCOM is much closer to, say, Close Combat than it is Tactics

Speaking of odd comparisons...

Its not a perfect one or even close, I'll agree. But it was the best I could come up with at the moment.

In truth XCOM is unique game and there's nothing I can think of that has the same mix of gameplay. To me though, both the Close Combat games and XCOM are going to appeal to a more limited audience than Tactics.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What about the UFO: Aftermath and UFO: Aftershock. Aren't those closer to the old X Com series than Fallout Tactics?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

What about the UFO: Aftermath and UFO: Aftershock. Aren't those closer to the old X Com series than Fallout Tactics?

I only played one of those. And yes, it was pretty similar mechanically. But I didn't find it very fun. Although I didn't play ti for very long. Because I didn't find it fun. Sort of a viscious circle there. eh. :sorcerer:

ANother very similar game was a TB human vs alien game called Incubation. ALthough again, more specifically mission based. Also not tremendously fun however.

I at least found Tactics fun enough to play most of the way through several times even if it wasn't the most demanding game I;ve ever played. :thumbsup:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The closest to X-COM I've experienced was Fallout Tactics(for PC) which was deeper but without research or aliens, unless mutants count as aliens.

hmmm. Nope. Saying the same thing twice doesn't make it any more clear. :sorcerer:

I was hoping for a little more explanation on how you were conencting the two. To me it seems as if you are saying that: the closest thing to a Porsche I've experienced is a Yugo. I mean, technically, I see the accuracy of your statement since they both have two doors and four wheels and an internal combustion engine, but it's not a connection I would immediately make since there is too much difference between them.

XCOM is a pretty hardcore, grognard-friendly dynamic campaign game with both well implemented tactical and strategic areas.

Tactics is a linear mission-based rpg mixed with lite squad combat that isn't particuarly tactical.

XCOM is much closer to, say, Close Combat than it is Tactics.

I never played Close Combat(should I?)

FO:T is a TBS with RPG elements. You deploy your troops and explore a map to find baddies. You position your soldiers for maximum efficiency and kill everything thats trying to kil you.

Just like X-COM.

FO:T doesn't have research or base construction, which is a big part of the strategy in X-COM.

I love both but I prefer the eldest and I would be very content with a simple remake with better graphics and maybe a deeper storyline.

:thumbsup:

Edited by astr0creep

The Gollop brothers have a game called Laser Squad Nemesis that is play by email. It's a pretty solid tactical game, and they have competitive ladders and all that. I recently got an email about an update, but the play by email thing isn't my cup of tea. It seems to be the only thing they are doing.

I'm pretty sure play-by-email is just one of the MP options for Nemesis.

Hot-seat, lan and other options are available. That game is godly.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

FO:T doesn't have research or base construction, which is a big part of the strategy in X-COM.

Or troop morale. Or destructible environments on the same scale. Or the ability to intercept enemy ships. Or funky weapons. Or land and sea combat.

Otherwise, just like Fallout: Tactics! :mellow:

Hey, I'm still flabbergasted at the Close Combat comparison :mellow:

I guess CC does have morale. But it's a Real Time WW2 Tactical Combat Simulator. It did have troop morale and destructable environments, though funky weapons (I'd say Fallout Tactics had its share of funky weapons though) and the ability to intercept enemy ships is missing.

As is turn based combat consisting of individual soldiers.

Hey, I'm still flabbergasted at the Close Combat comparison :sweat:

:shifty:

I'm enjoying the term 'flabbergasted'.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Or troop morale. Or destructible environments on the same scale. Or the ability to intercept enemy ships. Or funky weapons. Or land and sea combat.

Otherwise, just like Fallout: Tactics! :aiee:

Similarity does not equal identicality.

If I wanted to make an exact comparison, I would've said "X-COM can be compared to Terror from the Deep".

Besides I wasn't comparing the two, simply pointing out similarities. I played FO:T mainly to get a similar feeling from playing X-COM. I got my wish in some respects and FO:T was the closest I felt to playing X-COM.

Thats all.

The Gollop brothers released a game called Rebelstar Tactical Command for gameboy advance in 2005. It is turn based, very similar to x-com, and great fun. And Freedom Force played like superhero Baldur's Gate to me. Not sure why he'd say x-com was the primary influence behind that game. And if you're going to do turn based these days you should do it on the GBA, DS, or sony psp... as they are doing with d&d tactics.