what frightens you most?

Walsingham

I was just re-watching Dawn of teh Dead (the recent version) and have decided it is my scariest movie ever. I've had bad dreams about it since watching it for the first time a few weeks ago, and generally get very disturbed every viewing.

It occurred to me that when something scares us a great deal it says something about who we are. I ws wondering what Dawn of the Dead says about me, and what your scariest movie is.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"...Anything can happen, anything is possible. Time and space do not exist..."

That really does sound terrifying.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Nightmare on Elm Street scared the bejesus out of me, when it came out.

The thought of the surreal contents of my dreams having consequences in the real world; that an entity could invade my personal spaces and pollute them ... it was very effective.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think the scariest thing I had to deal with was when I was 12 and I ended up climbing about 40 feet in a tree. I looked down, got a bit of vertigo, and well fell straight down in hard earth. Heights are not something I like a whole lot. As for games and media, I don't get frighten by those. In the back of my mind I know there is always an off swtich.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The Thing

Shining

Alien

System Shock 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Nightmare on Elm Street scared the bejesus out of me, when it came out.

The thought of the surreal contents of my dreams having consequences in the real world; that an entity could invade my personal spaces and pollute them ... it was very effective.

I watched that when I was about 8 years old. For a long time i used to imagine Freddy outside my window. Him and the monster thing from the beginning of The Twilight Zone movie.

The Omen scared me the worst. It really played into religious beliefs I had at the time... when i was 6 or 7 I guess.

Pidesco, you stole my list! :)

... except for The Shining. Other than that, as an adult I don't find most movies frightening at all, beyond a startle moment or two. But I like good horror movies even so...I'm not sure why.

... non-movie wise, when I was very young I was horribly frightened of swimming pool drains. I had this repeated nightmare about a big pretty pool with tiled tropical fish decorations which would come alive while the drain turned into a black hole. But I loved to swim regardless and was a Tadpole in my rec class or something.

... then a few years later, I got trapped in a waterhole until someone pulled me out. Mid-teens got pulled into the ocean by undertow and bounced around a bit, nothing too serious but scary. Ever since, fear of drowning remains big enough that I don't really like to go in the water over my head that much. I don't freak out or anything and can swim fine, I just avoid it. :fear:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I hate to admit it, but the original "The Fog" made me kind of jumpy on my way home after having seen it. It didn't help that I had to cycle through a small remote forested area in... yes, fog. A pox upon my imagination :fear:

Non movie related fobias, I got two (that I know of), one being heights and the other being a rather odd one, rooms full of people. Makes me all jumpy and looking for the exit constantly :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That's interesting, Gorth - is it the lack of elbow room, so to speak, by chance? My hubby's that way...kind of crowd phobic or something, both indoors and outdoors in his case. Doesn't enjoy going to amusement parks or anywhere you have to walk thru crowds/stand in lines etc. because of it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not sure. It's hard to describe exactly, but I think it is the being surrounded of a lot of people. Never really thought about at what number or what degree of proximity triggers it. It sometimes happens outdoors too, like amusement parks, crowded railroad stations etc. Makes me want to climb up one of the street lights to get away :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

People invading your personal space. It peeves me (not a phobia, just a BIG annoyance).

Also I saw Jaws 2 at the cinema when I was about six and I still have an irrational fear of sharks (not quite so overpowering now, though).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hmmmm. The only movie I've seen that I found honestly disturbing was The Exorcisim of Emily Rose. Perhaps because it was based (loosely) on a true story.

As for what scares me? Well, all of the most dangerous situations I've ever been in, I got into because I failed to use good sense. So I guess what scares me is me. Or at least my own belief that nothing bad will happen if I do ________ (insert dumb action here).

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I have a wasp phobia. I also have a mild fear of heights and a mild fear of wide open spaces, and when I'm high up in an open space (say, on top of a mountain) I freak out a bit. But those are little things.

What I'm really afraid of is sleep paralysis. There was a TV show or a movie I saw a long time ago, I can't remember much about it except it featured a guy who goes into a coma and everybody thinks he's dead, but he's fully conscious but unable to communicate or move. That freaked me out. So when I experienced sleep paralysis, it really ****ed me up. It's a really rare occurence, though, and it doesn't last for more than a few seconds (they feel like minutes, though)

Edited by Pop

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166458/

Um, yeah. It had this one episode scared me so bad I had nightmares for three months. There were parts in it which were shown "from the eyes of the murderer" where women tried to run away from him.

Um... It really doesn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I ws wondering what Dawn of the Dead says about me, and what your scariest movie is.

Obviously you suffered a zombie related incident as a child and have since repressed the memory.

I was attacked by a wild dog... I still have the scars on my forehead.

-Elwood Blues

I ws wondering what Dawn of the Dead says about me, and what your scariest movie is.

Obviously you suffered a zombie related incident as a child and have since repressed the memory.

"Braainssss!..."

Isn't there a professional term for the event, where your mind swaps part of your memory with something that it feels more comfortable with? Like Zombie -> Dog

"Braainssss!..."

Isn't there a professional term for the event, where your mind swaps part of your memory with something that it feels more comfortable with? Like Zombie -> Dog

I think the term is transference. Ingenious, really, if you think about it.

-Elwood Blues