Britain at war

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/friday/

The play in question is the "Sword of Honour" by Evelyn Waugh. It's an excellent and digestible insight into how Britain approached the war. It's also quite funny. I menttion it because we're more or less inundated with TV and computer games about the late war from the Ameerican perspective. Britain's experience is well worth it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Judging by that sound effect of crickets chirruping I'd say it wasn't very popular. :woot:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm not sure what fileformat .ram is, but my work computer doesn't support it. It's probably RealAudio :woot:

There wouldn't by any chance be transscripts of it somewhere?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm not sure what fileformat .ram is, but my work computer doesn't support it. It's probably RealAudio :woot:

There wouldn't by any chance be transscripts of it somewhere?

It is indeed real audio. I don't understand why, but the beeb swear by it, rather than at it like the rest of us.

The link is to teh radioplay. But you could read the books if you were inclined to do so. On teh other hand you'd then miss the accents.

-Elwood Blues

Hmm cant get the thing to play, But I think there should be a big budget british movie showing WW2 from the british side of things, I'm getting a little sick of the Americanized version of the war and all that HEROS AND BROTHERS nonsence. Granted every soldier who was killed in that war and the ones who survived were important.

But the British side of things isnt covered enough, and it was longer after all.

Films go where the money is. I don't begrudge the yanks their story. But I agree there's only so much you can say about it.

-Elwood Blues

If anyone wants to see a good British war film, I'd recommend Battle of Britain. Good, strong film that covers a lot of ground and represents the German side of the battle, too. Great lines in it, too.

"What's our status, Control? The engine's overheating and so am I. It's either stand down or blow up, which do you want?" (paraphrase)

Dirty deeds done cheap.

If anyone wants to see a good British war film, I'd recommend Battle of Britain. Good, strong film that covers a lot of ground and represents the German side of the battle, too. Great lines in it, too.

"What's our status, Control? The engine's overheating and so am I. It's either stand down or blow up, which do you want?" (paraphrase)

Sounds good. :lol: I've always been a fan of Douglas Bader. Why SHOULD losing both legs stop you flying? It's not as if you're using them.

-Elwood Blues

I've always been a fan of Douglas Bader. Why SHOULD losing both legs stop you flying? It's not as if you're using them.

Just in case you werent joking around, you do indeed use your legs for piloting an aircraft. At the pilots (and copilots) feet are two pedals which are used to control the aircrafts rudder. They also double as the landing gear wheel brakes when taxiing and landing. Unless Mr. Bader was using two peg legs, then its prolly all good.

I've always been a fan of Douglas Bader. Why SHOULD losing both legs stop you flying? It's not as if you're using them.

Just in case you werent joking around, you do indeed use your legs for piloting an aircraft. At the pilots (and copilots) feet are two pedals which are used to control the aircrafts rudder. They also double as the landing gear wheel brakes when taxiing and landing. Unless Mr. Bader was using two peg legs, then its prolly all good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader

I'd forgotten what a good story this is. I particularly like the way the honourable English abuse the German's honourable ceasefire (while supplying the downed Bader with a replacement leg) to then try and bomb a power station.

-Elwood Blues