"Why I Hate Fantasy RPGs"

Diamond

Ah yes. I remember thinking "Good heavens. I wonder who dragged her poisoned corpse all the way here from that gnoll encampment?"

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Safana was cool.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

:o Dynaheir was great. I wish she had a place in BG2.

She had one. In Irenicus's experiments :dancing:

:o No love for Dynaheir. She's even voiced by Jennifer Hale. :thumbsup: Not her greatest voiced character but pretty good.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Safana was my primary trapspringer... I wasn't very amused by her "Fate" in BG2 <_<

And where the heck was Kivan? :thumbsup:

Kivan may not be officially in BG2, but a mod brings him back.

Safana was a good thief. :dancing:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

What did happen to Safana in BG2? I don't recall.

I liked Tiax. You know they should make an all gnome party with Tiax, Quayle, Jan, and Grobnar. That could be hilarious.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

At least 12 joinable BG NPCs made it into BG2, if only by mention.

Imoen

Jaheira

Minsc

Dynaheir -

dead according to Minsc; never seen

Khalid -

dead, body visible in second level of Jon's dungeon

Ajantis -

killed by you (unknowingly), identified only if Keldorn is in the group (afaik), seen first as an illusion then as a generic corpse

Xzar -

alive and well, initially, in the dock district, part of Jaheira's Harper quests.

Montaron -

dead, part of Jaheira's Harper quests, you find his body stuffed into a chest if you search the Harper Hold later on

Coran -

alive and well in the North Forest; you can save him by means of careful dialog but I've only done this once; he usually dies.

Safana -

alive and well, initially, in the North Forest near Coran's location; always dies soon after you find her.

Tiax -

imprisoned in the Spellhold Asylum; helps you fight Irenicus shortly after your arrival.

Quayle -

now runs a circus in Waukeen's Promenade

This is really why the whole 'lol NWN2 is 20 hrs only sniff sniff sob sob' was all BS to begin with. Finishing NWN2, it could have benefited from being half as long.

now let us be honest. cut 20 hours from a crpg and it ain't gonna simply be the Donkey Kong repetitive barrel jumping that gets thrown aways.

also, keeps in mind that cutting repetitious combats and you would still have gotten to level 20... and people woulda' complained 'bout that too.

mindless and repetitous activties in a game is hardly limited to crpgs... but crpg developers IS pretty unapologetic 'bout the whole situation. in other games you gets such tedious filler in small doses... crpgs just does more.

part o' blame can be laid at feets o' pnp rpg devlopers. heck, d&d and d20 even has some formula worked out from which crs is generated... forms whole basis for granting xps. most combats is not 'posed to be difficult or challenging in d&d, 'cause challenging requires expenditure o' valuable potions and wands and scrolls and magic ammo... not to mention the loss o' hps and possibly playerlives as well. crpgs follow similar formulas... but w/o all the time consuming dice rolling and bathroom breaks, developers adds in stuff to bolster a bit.

the only genuine rpgs is mp games with a dm... or mmporpgs. d&d crpgs, for the most part, is squad-basd tactical combat games, with some rp elements thrown into the mix... so maybe compare to strat games. strategy games usually involves a realtive small number of maps or missions which for all intents and purposes functions likes big puzzles. you start off weak and pathetic with a few gunts or space marines or zergs or whatever. maps gets bigger and moe complex, and you gets to slowly access more units... is kinda like leveling. most of the battles you fights in a strategy game is pretty damn repetitious, no? vogel vastly overstates unique nature o' crpgs.

in any event, Gromnir would be much in favor of decreasing the number o' barrels we gotta jump... the thing is that we would prefer that the devlopers increase the tactical/strategic challenges of the remaining combat encounters... but reload and rt hinder this somewhat, and the old pnp formula involving X encounters per level is gonna be hard to shakes too.

cut 40 down to 20 w/o fundamental change in model would simply gives a game half as long... not result in a game with all the good stuff and none of the pointless barrel jumping.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You know they should make an all gnome party with Tiax, Quayle, Jan, and Grobnar. That could be hilarious.

No.

Why not? Think all the heroic deeds these gnomes could do!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

And that would be a bad thing?

I liked Tiax. You know they should make an all gnome party with Tiax, Quayle, Jan, and Grobnar. That could be hilarious.

The midgets. They can be sold to the drow for slaves.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

No, they would enslave the drow, then annoy the drow, blow up the drow, then finally try to entertain the drow.

And that would be a bad thing?

Grobnar was a Halfling in disguise.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."