Congessional Hearing on Global Warming Cancelled Due to Snowstorm

Guard Dog

HOUSE HEARING ON 'WARMING OF THE PLANET' CANCELED AFTER SNOW/ICE STORM

HEARING NOTICE

Tue Feb 13 2007 19:31:25 ET

The Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality hearing scheduled for Wednesday, February 14, 2007, at 10:00 a.m. in room 2123 Rayburn House Office Building has been postponed due to inclement weather. The hearing is entitled

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Even if they were, the irony would be lost on most people as "global warming" doesn't imply cold weather to a layperson. That's why they don't call it "global warming" anymore, but use the term "climate change" instead.

Edited by Pop

Theres definitely something funny going on in this thread.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

You know it must be bad when those hard working gents in congress take a day off.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Even if they were, the irony would be lost on most people as "global warming" doesn't imply cold weather to a layperson. That's why they don't call it "global warming" anymore, but use the term "climate change" instead.

Does "global warming" imply cold weather to an expert?

You guys are seriously over thinking this one.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Does "global warming" imply cold weather to an expert?

Warming in some places, cooling on other places. Makes sense if you've studied metereology or climate change in general, even cursorily, but at this point it's a shapeless menace to most people, if that. But they don't call it "global cooling".

Warming in some places, cooling on other places
Since the basic idea around the global warming trend is rising CO2 emissions, how exactly does the increase of a greenhouse gas result in "cooling in other places."

Makes sense if you've studied metereology or climate change in general

Enlighten me.

I believe the theory goes that we'll have greater extremes in both directions but that the earth's average temperature will steadily increase. Great joke and thread. I think we have overthought the issue as well.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You know, I knew the answer at one point, because I had cursorily studied the issue in college. Unfortunately, alcohol and fast living have killed those brain cells.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Why does temperature in the sahara vary from below 0C at night and over 50C during the day in winter?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Ah. The Irony. Ah. =]

As for temperature variation in deserts that is easy. Sand does not hold in heat at all so what ambiant heat it gathers during the day is almost immediately loss. Also with deserts there is very little precipitation and thusly very little cloud cover to keep the heat in. So at night all the heat gained during the day is pretty much lost.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Warming in some places, cooling on other places
Since the basic idea around the global warming trend is rising CO2 emissions, how exactly does the increase of a greenhouse gas result in "cooling in other places."

Increased temperature changes how sea currents flow. For example Golf current that brings warm water to northern Europe is moving further away from the shore, because of global warming.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Golf? DAMN YOU TIGER WOODS!

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Sweden is situated further north than Siberia. Yet Siberia gets temperatures down to -50 C on a yearly basis while we seldom go under -30 C and then only in the utmost northern parts. As kirottu mentioned, this has to do with the water flows outside Norway. If the polar ices start melting at a more rapid speed than they currently are, this stream will be redirected to some other part of the world and Sweden will become colder and colder until it is practically uninhabitable.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Then there will be no more Swedish Bikini team. The world will mourn... :'(

well where I'm living has had maybe half of the rain it's supposed to... been friggin cold for most of the winter but it's starting to warm back up to the 60's.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I agree with GD. We are overthinking this.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.