Oblivion Expansion: Shivering Isles

Vic

Hades once again proves that he fails reading.

There are hundreds of quests in Oblivion. Set your active quest to the quest you're not actually doing. The only effect on the game is that there will be an incorrect QT or no QT, depending on the quest.

Or, just don't use the compass. Hell, let's do away with maps, too. They tell me where to go!

Well, atleast it will not be a Lord of the Rings-rpg in artdesign. It will be a 19.95

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There are hundreds of quests in Oblivion. Set your active quest to the quest you're not actually doing. The only effect on the game is that there will be an incorrect QT or no QT, depending on the quest.

Or, just don't use the compass. Hell, let's do away with maps, too. They tell me where to go!

So, instead of actually fixing the problem you offer lame work-arounds then offer sarcasm. Whatever. o:)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Especially when it is the least important on the list. So what about the first four, Shadowstrider, any lame work arounds or sarcasm for those?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

So, instead of actually fixing the problem you offer lame work-arounds then offer sarcasm. Whatever. o:)

Fixing it would imply they felt there was a problem that needed fixing. As for sarcasm, you had more than enough of it in your posts, too.

Shadowstrider, I would like to know, are the fellows at Bethesda involved with Oblivion happy with the difficulty leveling system and its overall reception?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Let me guess your solution about level scaling problems, SS. Don't level your character. Right? o:)

Let me guess your solution about level scaling problems, SS. Don't level your character. Right? o:)

Sand, you're making me ashamed to be in the Oblivion naysayer camp. shhh

Given his solution about the game being dumbed down it seems to be a logical step in reasoning.

Given his solution about the game being dumbed down it seems to be a logical step in reasoning.

That's it. I hope you're happy.

Oblivion is great, game of the year. I'll go buy 5 more copies.

We haven't blacklisted anyone for panning our games.

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH.

That's all the hillarity I can handle for one day. Considering that Bethsoft were talking to sites like star trek gamers and after a critical review of the game they were involved with comes out, suddenly stonewalling and then subsequently blacklisting the site, I find that a little hard to swallow.

#5 is so laughable it's absurd. Pick a quest without a damn quest marker, or a quest where the marker is somewhere the quest you're doing is not, then play.
There are none to my knowledge (or that I can think of off the top of my head). Perhaps you would like to cite an example?

P.S. In SI, the chosen one must choose.

Can you choose not to be the chosen one?

[r00fles]

Edited by Aegeri

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

Shadowstrider, I would like to know, are the fellows at Bethesda involved with Oblivion happy with the difficulty leveling system and its overall reception?

That depends on who you ask and what you're referring to, but I don't think anyone would say the system is perfect.

I'm not paid to act as a public company representative, you'd have to ask someone who is to get a "formal" answer. I'm just here to talk about games.

That's all the hillarity I can handle for one day. Considering that Bethsoft were talking to sites like star trek gamers and after a critical review of the game they were involved with comes out, suddenly stonewalling and then subsequently blacklisting the site, I find that a little hard to swallow.

So let me get this straight, a website is "blackball'd" by a company, and you immediately assume they did nothing wrong? Did you attempt to contact anyone at Bethesda, if you did, I'm not aware of it, but I'll certainly check with the people who definitely would know. I sincerely doubt you did, but this certainly sounds like fair and balanced reporting!

#5 is so laughable it's absurd. Pick a quest without a damn quest marker, or a quest where the marker is somewhere the quest you're doing is not, then play.
There are none to my knowledge (or that I can think of off the top of my head). Perhaps you would like to cite an example?

Do you mean quests with no QT? There are stages throughout several quests where the player is not given a specific QT. During the main quest, when the player must figure out where the Mythic Dawn hangout, there is no QT during a part of it. If you advance into the questline the QT returns, but again, I don't see the big deal. Don't like it, don't use it.

There are other examples, if you need more.

You're not really the chosen one in SI.

ADDENDUM:

Look a review by a game site that panned Oblivion!

http://news.firingsquad.com/matrix/blog.as...Oblivion_Review

Firing Squad has yet to be "blacklisted!" I'll tell Pete right away!

*Batman theme.*

Edited by Shadowstrider

Look a review by a game site that panned Oblivion!

http://news.firingsquad.com/matrix/blog.as...Oblivion_Review

Firing Squad has yet to be "blacklisted!" I'll tell Pete right away!

*Batman theme.*

You really should get on that. Bethesda can't conquer the world if they allow dissenting opinions. Trust me, I know.

TBH I don't care, and I don't think Pete does, either. It takes more than a bad review.

Edit: Allow me to clarify, we do care. What I meant was, if you don't like the game, I'm sorry that you think Oblivion sucks, and it's okay for you to say so. We read reviews and weigh criticisms, just like everyone else.

Anyway, I have a long day of playing Game Industry Satan, tomorrow!

Edited by Shadowstrider

Anyway, I have a long day of playing Game Industry Satan™, tomorrow!

Just think back on me for inspiration. It's what the real Satan does.

So let me get this straight, a website is "blackball'd" by a company, and you immediately assume they did nothing wrong?

Well, you (that is Bethesda, not you literally) have produced utterly no evidence of any sort supporting the blacklisting and the evidence from the other side is highly convincing. Others who have attempted to contact Bethesda about the blacklisting, such as Vic (the admin of Star Trek Gamers) have had no satisfactory answers as to why they were blacklisted.

However, I have no reason to assume that they did anything wrong until you (Bethesda) prove that to be so. They have established their side of the argument and Bethesda has not. Why should I believe Bethsoft acted ethically and correctly when they have not even provided a solid case for doing so?

I sincerely doubt you did,
Others (directly involved) already have done so and received no answer, why would I? (especially as I am not affiliated with the blacklisted site in question or the bethsoft forums)

Do you mean quests with no QT? There are stages throughout several quests where the player is not given a specific QT. During the main quest, when the player must figure out where the Mythic Dawn hangout, there is no QT during a part of it. If you advance into the questline the QT returns, but again, I don't see the big deal. Don't like it, don't use it.

Indeed, I fail to remember any quests that didn't have any quest markers, follow comrade green arrow to victory etc.

As for "don't use it", it's not just that it's there it's that the game has been designed with it in mind anyway. For example, there is one of the expansion quests in Nights of the Nine that has a door that asks you some nonsensical riddle. The answer of course, isn't hidden anywhere in particular, it's just on a piece of paper next to the door. The quest markers and such are just symptoms of (largely) overall overly simplistic quest design.

There are other examples, if you need more.
Not really. I just have difficulty thinking of these because I very rarely ever bothered having to think through any quests. The journal always gave me the answers or I followed comrade green arrow to victory. Not that ignoring either of these actually makes quests more difficult, most things are highly straight forward.

You're not really the chosen one in SI.

I was being sarcastic than taking it seriously.

Edit: Apologies for the numerous broken quote tags people. Forgot a few 'quotes' here and there.

Edited by Aegeri

*Dances*

Don't assault Shadowstrider here, guys. He's just here to talk about games, not be a Bethesda spokesperson. You're just as unlikely to convince him of your opinion on them as he is to convince you of his.

Any discontent over Oblivion is assuradly known by Bethesda, at this point, anyway. Hopefully, it'll effect positively on future releases. I can only hope.

Edited by Tale

Don't assault Shadowstrider here, guys. He's just here to talk about games, not be a Bethesda spokesperson. You're just as unlikely to convince him of your opinion on them as he is to convince you of his.

I'm not doing anything of the sort. Asking someone to support their statements factually is not assaulting them.

After all, it's not like Bethsoft are prone to being, shall we say, a little lose with what the game is actually like.

Any discontent over Oblivion is assuradly known by Bethesda, at this point, anyway. Hopefully, it'll effect positively on future releases. I can only hope.

I would hope as well. I much prefer Daggerfall to either Morrowind or Oblivion.

Edited by Aegeri

*Dances*

Well, you (that is Bethesda, not you literally) have produced utterly no evidence of any sort supporting the blacklisting and the evidence from the other side is highly convincing. Others who have attempted to contact Bethesda about the blacklisting, such as Vic (the admin of Star Trek Gamers) have had no satisfactory answers as to why they were blacklisted.

However, I have no reason to assume that they did nothing wrong until you (Bethesda) prove that to be so. They have established their side of the argument and Bethesda has not. Why should I believe Bethsoft acted ethically and correctly when they have not even provided a solid case for doing so?

I am well aware of the situation, far more so than most in the company. Since, as I said before, I'm not paid to speak for the company, I won't comment, at least not now.

You can believe what I say or not.

Others (directly involved) already have done so and received no answer, why would I?
You're reporting the issue. I would hope it was not driven by an agenda, but I've seen no reason to believe otherwise. It appears like you're trying to "stick it to the man," rather than try and spread information. In the process you're spreading disinformation.

I was planning to discuss this issue (among many others) on Monday, anyway. I'll see what I can do about getting an official response, but don't hold your breath.

Indeed, I fail to remember any quests that didn't have any quest markers, follow comrade green arrow to victory etc.

You zinged me good there! Oblivion likened to communist russia! Never been done!

As for "don't use it", it's not just that it's there it's that the game has been designed with it in mind anyway. For example, there is one of the expansion quests in Nights of the Nine that has a door that asks you some nonsensical riddle. The answer of course, isn't hidden anywhere in particular, it's just on a piece of paper next to the door. The quest markers and such are just symptoms of (largely) overall overly simplistic quest design.

Pardon? I don't recall any doors asking riddles in KotN.

I would hope as well. I much prefer Daggerfall to either Morrowind or Oblivion.

I'll cut you.