Shelter Dogs Commercial

Guard Dog

I saw this commercial for the first time last night and, I'll admit it, totally broke down.

In 1995 I was just six days out of the military when I took a drove a friend to Miami Dade Animal control to get a rabies tag for her dog. While there I saw this half dead, brown Labrador Retriever mix in one of the cages. At one year old she should have been about 65-70 lbs. She was just 37 lbs, skin and bone and infested with fleas and ticks. She was set to be put to sleep that night. I did not think twice about adopting her. Over the last 11 years I've failed at two careers and had a business venture nearly ruin me. I've been through a bitter divorce, a bankruptcy, become estranged from family, and as you all know, friends come and go. Through all of that Dixie was always there to cheer me up, make me smile and in her own way, remind me that life is a beautiful thing. She reminded me that even when things seemed utterly hopeless you need to hold on just one more hour because you never know what will happen to turn your life around. To me she was the friend everyone hopes they can have. Two weeks ago I had to let her go after a long battle with cancer. I prayed every day that I could have just one more day to take her to the beach, or dog park, or just to sit on the couch and do nothing. I would have happily paid every penny I have for that. But days and prayers eventually run out.

I've tried not to think about it until I saw this ad and it made me realize how grateful I am to have gone to the shelter that day. And how lucky I was to have known her. If there is room in your life for a dog, please consider adopting from a shelter. You will literally be saving a life, maybe even your own. >_<

Pedigree Dog Adoption Commercial

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No offence to the ad, or anyone who chooses to donate but Isave all my money for human charities.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No offence to the ad, or anyone who chooses to donate but Isave all my money for human charities.

I can respect that viewpoint. I donate to the American Red Cross every month myself, but it is only a fraction of what I donate to the few dog rescue groups I support. Someone has to. Besides, no dog has ever backstabbed me, robbed me, lied to me, or sold me out. Can't say the same about most of the people I've known. :o

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The moral of the story is that humans are scumbags who become responsobile for another creature on a whim and throw it's life away when the whim passes.

You are just one cheerful guy Gorgon!

Thomas Sowell

**** you **** i believe in you man. Seriously, you did a good thing.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Fun fact I may have already mentioned: the United Kingdom had a society for protecting animals several years before a society for protecting children. Moreover the society for animals is a royal one, and the children's one is not. Speaking purely for my own corner, I could not countenance spendingmoney to prevent abuses, and deal with damage which is every day heaped upon innocent children.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Fun fact I may have already mentioned: the United Kingdom had a society for protecting animals several years before a society for protecting children. Moreover the society for animals is a royal one, and the children's one is not. Speaking purely for my own corner, I could not countenance spending money to prevent abuses, and deal with damage which is every day heaped upon innocent children.

You are making the assumption that there are no organizations dedicated to protecting children. I cannot speak intelligently about how common they are in Great Britain (I'm certain there are many), in the US there are many and more and they outnumber and out fund animal charities by a large margin.

Thomas Sowell

;) I'm actually making the entirely false assumption tha the relationship is linear. Diminishing returns being what they are it would be asinine to suggest that animal concerns can only be addressed when all human suffering is eradicated. I am in a fractious mood.

-Elwood Blues

I'm a cat person.

cat-0010.gif

I understand the feeling tho...I often enjoy the company of animals more than people.

I'm interested in trying to keep all life from undue mistreatment or extinction, even humans.

Tho I might make an exception for fleas and the mosquito.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, I've seen that commercial too... it's a real heartbreaker. I'll agree that dogs are fantastic, and I'm going to get one (or more) in a few years when I get a house with a nice backyard.

The Super Bowl party I was at last night had a lady mastiff strolling around greeting everybody, and I was amazed at how well behaved she was. All that food and no begging, plus there were three or four toddlers crawling around and this dog (which would easily be taller than I am if she jumped straight up) was skillfully avoiding stepping on them as she made the rounds.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Dogs are great.

Properly trained they make the best companions(truly man's best friend), they will love their "Master" to the death no matter what abuses theu may be subjected to and they smell a hell of a lot less than a cat.

I've had cats and dogs all my life and although cats may be easier to get along with, the rewards of getting a dog, training him/her and actually care and be a good master to him/her are much greater.

If I had the means ($$$) I'd gladly open myself a dog shelter and take in all abandoned animals. They deserve so much more(if only respect) than we petty humans allow them to have and yet, they demand nothing.

I love them. All.

:)

I'm definitely a dog person.

-Elwood Blues

and they smell a hell of a lot less than a cat.

I still disagree with this, a lot. Sure cat litter smells, because it's, y'know, crap and urine and all that - but to my nose, cat fur itself doesn't stink.

I can't stand the musk-oil dog smell that's dog fur, and can smell it on people's clothing from 6-10 feet away.

If you bathe your dog every day, sometimes that helps minimize it to where it doesn't bother me, but beyond that...*holds nose*

Rewards of a pet are in the eye of the beholder. With indoor-only cats, you notice a lot more of a cats personality/devotion, I think. At least I have.

Dogs are definitely more/easily trainable tho.

"get off the couch, cat!" "Stop that!" "Where's the waterpistol?" "Get off my sweater!" "Argh!!!"

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not a pet person. It's something I do not look forward to upon having children.

I have the feeling my warped sense of humor caused me to read this really wrong, but it sure made me LOL. :yes:

I love pets but if I had kids I probably wouldn't let them have one until they were fairly old. Well, maybe a hamster...

Fun fact I may have already mentioned: the United Kingdom had a society for protecting animals several years before a society for protecting children. Moreover the society for animals is a royal one, and the children's one is not.

I remember Bill Bryson mentioning that, must have been Notes from a Small Island. Sad as hell.

I'm more concerned for struggling orphans than homeless animals, but I share everyone's concern over the sad state of issues.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm not a pet person. It's something I do not look forward to upon having children.

I have the feeling my warped sense of humor caused me to read this really wrong, but it sure made me LOL. :yes:

I love pets but if I had kids I probably wouldn't let them have one until they were fairly old. Well, maybe a hamster...

Oh please, do share the comedic interpretation because I just don't see it :p Are you implying that I think kids are pets? :p

I do expect acquiring pets for my kids at some point in my life. Heck, I used to enjoy the family dog when I was growing up as well. I figured I "outgrew" it.

I still disagree with this, a lot. Sure cat litter smells, because it's, y'know, crap and urine and all that - but to my nose, cat fur itself doesn't stink.

I did mean the litter...

A dog's fur does get stinky more easily but again, a good "Master" will know what to do.

We try to clean our dog about every two days and she rarely gets stinky.

I looove cats to though but I am a dog person.

Dogs are definitely dirty. But a dog's got personality [chorus] and personality goes a long way [/chorus]

-Elwood Blues