Minite-man border fence

Eddo36

You know, if they really want to get that fence built quickly and cheaply, they should hire some illegal Mexican immigrants. Those dudes are hard workers.

:huh:"

:( . Carlos Mencia did that in a routine, too funny. But seriously, I'm all for it and I'll support it with my donations and tax dollars if allowed to. A country that cannot protect the sovreignty of its borders is not a country. Just ask the Western Roman Empire.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think that the US, Canada, and Mexico should have an open border and employment program. Those who are US, Mexican, or Canadian citizens should be able to get full employment rights and wages in the country in they are employed in. Taxes from such work go to the country of origin the business is in, and abide by the employment laws of the country. Also, and this might be harder to do, is that Canada, Mexico, and the US should have a single currency, much like the Euro in Europe.

Economically it would be a great boon for all countries involved, in the long run, and we wouldn't have the hassles of who is illegal or not when it comes tot he work place.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

This is sort of the opposite of the Hands Across the World thing they had in the 80's. Hmmm, I bet they need a song.

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I think that the US, Canada, and Mexico should have an open border and employment program. Those who are US, Mexican, or Canadian citizens should be able to get full employment rights and wages in the country in they are employed in. Taxes from such work go to the country of origin the business is in, and abide by the employment laws of the country. Also, and this might be harder to do, is that Canada, Mexico, and the US should have a single currency, much like the Euro in Europe.

Economically it would be a great boon for all countries involved, in the long run, and we wouldn't have the hassles of who is illegal or not when it comes tot he work place.

How about one country, "America", that includes Canada, Mexico and the US, using the American dollar rebaptised the Amerigo? (w00t)

It could work.

We take Canada's socialized medicine, the US for its overall strength, and Mexico for its work force. YEAH! :teehee:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

It could work.

We take Canada's socialized medicine, the US for its overall strength, and Mexico for its work force. YEAH! :teehee:

You'd probaly never make it over the fence, right Hades?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Why would I need to? :confused:

Why would I need to? :confused:

I'm just gauging the effectiveness for possible use within the U.S., like if we fenced of Iowa or something

Since I am not advocating fencing I don't see your point.

you don't have to be an advocate of fencing to be fenced

Nah. I'd rather have the infrastructure of Southern California not completely collapse in the unlikely event that the fence would actually be constructed. All of the illegal labor that employers rely on would have to be replaced by legal labor at legal rates, often with some measure of legal insurance coverage. I'm also not entirely confident that the children of Orange, Los Angeles, and San Diego counties are really eager to go work at the car wash, in the fields, and all of the other places that are currently run heavily with illegal Mexican labor. No outsourcing woes that corporate/industrial sectors of SoCal face are significantly affected by illegal Mexicans. Unless you count contracting/construction, but that's going to be dead in a few years anyway. I guess we could have all those guys keep building walls along our borders.

I'd rather have the money for a wall go to money for intelligence. Knowing what's happening is more important (and effective) than creating a wall.

Hey, why would he want to leave Iowa anyway?

I mean, it's ... Iowa.

I almost took a job on the Illinois/Iowa border. Things are just too flat out there, so I turned it down.

On topic: the fence is a waste of resources.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Here's an idea, why don't we take the millions wasted on border projects like this and create effecive work-visa programs? Since industries like agriculture and construction rely on these immigrants, shouldn't we be fostering a positive relationship that will benefit the economy of both the US and Mexico? Imagine Mexican workers being able to travel to the US to work out the harvest season, and then being able to take their earnings back to Mexico and having a decent quality of life. Programs like this do exist, and they've been proven to be succesful, but they get nowhere near the funding that militant border patrolling gets.

I think it might have to with the idea that alot of people would raise a stink if the exploitation of the mexican worker were officially sanctioned in such a way. I used to run a carpentry business and I realize that people from mexico don't feel that way, burt inevitably someone would feel the need to rescue these people form their plight at the hands of americans .

I think it might have to with the idea that alot of people would raise a stink if the exploitation of the mexican worker were officially sanctioned in such a way. I used to run a carpentry business and I realize that people from mexico don't feel that way, burt inevitably someone would feel the need to rescue these people form their plight at the hands of americans .

That brings up a good point, as clearly with minimum wage being so high, most businesses would not be able to survive paying high wages for this type of labor. As is, small farmers are a dying breed as major agricultural corporations have more capital to handle rising costs. I'm no economist, but it seems like the best way to keep the bleeding hearts out of this is to work closely with the Mexican government to ensure this program is effctive for all parties involved. Of course, that creates a whole skew of diplomatic issues, and US-Mexico relations have never been perfect.