Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers.

Very strange movie. Geoffrey Rush was brilliant - the movie as a whole was ... well, it's just bizarre. I'm not sure whether I liked it or if it was more appalled fascination tha kept me watching. Like most biopics, it focused less on the career/talent and more on the fact the personality wasn't 'perfect,' which is a shame, because Sellers, imo, was a great talent. And I don't just mean the Pink Panther movies.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

How did you like Gerry, Baley? I haven't seen it.

See it - the film pretty much achieves its aims brazenly -, but, like, be sure to be well-rested. Five minute shots of nothing but mountains and blokes walking can be a bit of a drag at 2 AM - really. It also has this hilarious scene where Affleck gets his dumb ass stuck on a rock. Or when he just keeps talking about almost beating this video game... uh, Civilization? Caesar? I haven't played either... something about conquering Thebes, actually.

Anyway (same caveat):

• Cache
  • The Station Agent
  • Sexy Beast
  • Hot Fuzz
  • Auto Focus
  • Undercover Brother
  • I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
  • The Girl In The Cafe
  • From Hell
  • About A Boy
  • Snakes On A Plane
  • Ghost Rider
  • Asterix And The Vikings

I caught most of Zoolander. I did get that it was meant to be a farce. I didn't like it.

Just saw Spider-Man 3. Someone made the comment that the dialogue was momentum crippling for the film; I'd go further and say that the actual dialogue was so bad it was almost as poor as Toby Maquire's acting. Almost.

I did think that the complaint of too many villains wasn't valid, though. The Sandman was hardly worth the screentime he got: one fight and all the reasons to watch him were over; without Venom the film would have been pretty empty.

Too bad about the snorefest character interaction.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm kind of sharing Meta's opinion of Spider Man. They've taken abusing Spidey to a new level in this film. And the humour wasn't bad either. But for the most part, this whole movie kind of was good to somewhat good. Nothing groundbreaking.

I think this franchise needs to rest for a little while.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I enjoyed Spider-Man 3. It was cheesy, too cheesy, at times. But, it's not a movie I go to expecting to take seriously. Spider-Man is a character not meant to be taken seriously. I think Sandman was a poorly developed villain in the movie, his psychology was all wrong. Venom was ROBBED. I enjoyed Eddie Brock, but the symbiote was robbed. Screeching, when it should have been more of an open mouth back of the throat growl. And he there was no slobbering. :yucky: But overall, it was simply fun, which is what I look for from Spider-Man.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Spider-Man is a character not meant to be taken seriously.
Sure he is and a GREAT character as well with a fantastic tradition. But as you said and what hollywood thinks. They will always **** up these movies eventually. Batman, Superman, Xmen, Spider-Man........

He's the frickin' Ash Williams (with less violence) of Marvel. Any hero that throws around jokes while he fights is not meant to be taken seriously.

I enjoyed Spider-Man 3. It was cheesy, too cheesy, at times. But, it's not a movie I go to expecting to take seriously. Spider-Man is a character not meant to be taken seriously. I think Sandman was a poorly developed villain in the movie, his psychology was all wrong. Venom was ROBBED. I enjoyed Eddie Brock, but the symbiote was robbed. Screeching, when it should have been more of an open mouth back of the throat growl. And he there was no slobbering. :woot: But overall, it was simply fun, which is what I look for from Spider-Man.

I hear what you're saying, but I was really BORED by some parts of the film. That, or wincing. Noticeably when Toby Maguire was trying to emote.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I enjoyed Spider-Man 3. It was cheesy, too cheesy, at times. But, it's not a movie I go to expecting to take seriously. Spider-Man is a character not meant to be taken seriously. I think Sandman was a poorly developed villain in the movie, his psychology was all wrong. Venom was ROBBED. I enjoyed Eddie Brock, but the symbiote was robbed. Screeching, when it should have been more of an open mouth back of the throat growl. And he there was no slobbering. :) But overall, it was simply fun, which is what I look for from Spider-Man.

I hear what you're saying, but I was really BORED by some parts of the film. That, or wincing. Noticeably when Toby Maguire was trying to emote.

You're probably more sensitive to bad acting than I am. Only time I've ever really been able to tell "bad acting" was the kid who played Anakin in The Phantom Menace. All the other bad acting I know of is assumption when I can't put my finger on why I didn't like a character.

I watched The Fountain. I've been wanting to see it for a while but I wasn't going to be stopped by a 50% rating from rotten tomatoes and I'm glad I wasn't. It was a short story but I absolutely loved it. It had awesome imagery, story telling, acting and theme. I'm not going to lie I mean it was really really sad, enough to touch even my calloused, frigid and infinitely dark heart. /emo But it was also hopeful, the ending was some what anti climactic but I just can't get over how much I liked this movie. I give this movie a solid 9.5/10 which is probably the highest score I have ever given a movie even though I don't keep track so who knows, but I mean besides fight club or oldboy or something this is easily one of my favorite movies to date. I'd recommend this movie to watch on a really cold night with some hot tea, alone wrapped up in a blanket or do w/e the hell you want I don't care.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Just got back from seeing Spiderman 3. The whole restaurant scene had me cringing. I knew exactly how it was going to play out before it happened. :)

It had some moments, but I don't think it was as good as the second one.

• Little Children
  • Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
  • Saving Silverman
  • Jules et Jim
  • Storytelling
  • Four Weddings And A Funeral
  • Nacho Libre
  • The 51st State
  • Love Actually
  • The Holy Grail
  • American Dreamz
  • Little Miss Sunshine
  • Little Man

Oh, and this Creedence Clearwater Revival DVD.

Edited by Baley

Manspider 3

The only part of the movie I genuinely enjoyed was the emo Parker part, just because it was the only part of the movie that was really Raimi-esque (other than the Bruce Campbell cameo) Other than that it was passable, and wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and I hate Spider Man.

It did suffer from too much bloat. The whole movie was incredibly contrived and revisionist. The "Oh yeah, we forgot to tell you, the guy you thought killed your uncle didn't do it, it was this other guy. Sorry", the incredibly-stupidly convenient butler, the coincidence of the church sequence, the non-existent security at the particle accelerator. The stupid-as-**** conclusion to the Sandman plot thread, all of it.

If they had cut Venom completely out of the movie or left him in as a foil for the last 10 minutes of the film as most people were expecting (which I realize wasn't terribly feasible given the up-in-the-air status of any sequels) the movie would have had more time to explore the other storylines and perhaps fix up the bursting seams a bit, and the movie would have been a lot better.

LAME SPOILER FOLLOWS

When MJ kissed Harry, some high schooler in our audience yelled "****!!!" at the top of his lungs. A guilty laugh was had.

FIN SPOIL'ER

Yeah, I kinda forgave them for not explaining exactly what the "open air experiment that would be contaminated by anything that fell in", because I think it isn't necessary to explain every cause of super powers ... but that was just silly.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I thought the new Spiderman was ok.

I do agree it was too convoluted for its own good. Cutting out of Sandman or Venom would have been better. I would have preferred if Sandman hadn't come out at all. He wasn't very essential to the plot and he kept moaning, "Its because of my daughter!".

But I still liked it overall. I wasn't expecting something totally revolutionary.

Spidey 3. Better than the first but not as good as the 2nd. All the Emo Peter parts had the whole theatre laughing their asses off. I think it would have been better if they had focused more on a single villain instead of having 3. Either focus on Harry, or Venom, Sandman isn't deep enough of a character to devote an entire movie to him so I didn't mind him just being a guy who hits things, but I think they should have had Venom cut and just dealt with Harry more. Especially since it would have freed Topher Grace up to play Peter once Tobey leaves.

Tobey was an awful Spider-Man. Too much whining not enough wisecracking. He stopped being such a wimpy nerd after he became spider-man and had an vent for his pent up aggression. Yet Tobey keeps up with the "Oh you're so wonderful MJ, blah blah blah"

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg