KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion, Part 22

Let me be more specific. Lucas struck a deal with 20th Century Fox to own the rights to the merchandising. After the initial release of Star Wars in 1977, he made so much money off of merchandise that he didn't need 20th Century Fox or any other studio to complete his films, he still retained them for distribution only. In other words, from ESB on he had enough money from merchandising to bankroll any LucasFilm project he desired. He didn't need any more money from EU comics/novels/etc.

As far as using EU to keep fan interest alive, you clearly weren't alive when Star Wars was released.

That said, what I meant in my previous post was that he let other people taint his art (his story) with really bad sci-fi. I don't mind the EU that isn't related to the films. But to allow someone to make your art (his films) obsolete and pointless was due to greed over craft.

That looks like a pretty weird logic to me. You are basically saying, that someone who had success with a product, shouldn't try and earn more or add anything new to the product, because he already made money. Which basically means for an artist that he should stop making art, as there is nothing he can achieve anymore. Movie and sound technology would be 10 years behind today's standard, if Lucas hadn't decided to continue.

There was a demand for Star Wars, so why shouldn't he let other people continue?

That happens pretty much everywhere, and not only in the entertainment business.

Lucas has hardly anything to do with the EU, nor does he really care about what other artists do, as long as they keep to what his people think is good enough for Star Wars. To him, the EU is more of an alternate universe, and he definately has more important things to do, than checking whether every story they come up with fits into his idea. Many people want additional Star Wars stuff, Lucas doesn't have the time to do it, so what's wrong with letting people work on it, if others enjoy that work?

Whether everyone likes all the ideas is completely unimportant. I don't like large parts of the EU either, but it won't stop me from liking the rest. Of course I curse at LucasArts/LucasLicensing/LucasWhatever whenever they come up with another stupid idea, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with Lucas.

Nor has greed anything to do with it. If Lucas had been greedy, he wouldn't have stopped making Star Wars movies after Return of the Jedi, nor would he have waited an eternity to release the movies on DVD, while other film-makers were chucking out five different versions of their movies.

stuff

No and no. You are missing the point entirely and adding in your own commentary. Let me try to be more clear so you can digest an easy statement. I have nothing against the EU that doesn't interfere with the films (his vision/his art). But the stories about Palpatine being resurrected are not only dumb, but they negate the entire point of his serial.

Let me spell it out for you to make it easier for you to understand: Star Wars is about a Jedi Knight that rises, falls, and redeems himself. His final act, the most important act of the entire film lies with his redemption...him killing Palpatine and himself in the process. The Sith are gone forever, the prophecy fulfilled. When he allowed some bum writer to add the resurrection scheme to the mix, it negated his story ( his art and craft). Lucas allowed his art to become pointless to make a quick buck for whatever reason.

I'm a writer and a filmmaker. Would I toil away at one of my pieces and then later let some idiot add another chapter that ruins my the entire thing? No. Would you?

Once again, I am not against any of the EU that doesn't conflict with the films. The Palpatine resurrection fiasco directly affects the films. it makes them irrelevent.

Exactly.

Besides, whole resurrected Palpy crap was written before prequel trilogy came out so authors didn't even know about "Chosen One".

Every single piece of EU containing sith (Palpy's resurrection, ultracrappy comic series with that lousy Skywalker offspring like 100 years after RotJ, Jacen's idiotic turning etc.) goes against canon. Heck, most of the post-VI EU goes against canon.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

When he allowed some bum writer to add the resurrection scheme to the mix, it negated his story ( his art and craft). Lucas allowed his art to become pointless to make a quick buck for whatever reason.

Once again, I am not against any of the EU that doesn't conflict with the films. The Palpatine resurrection fiasco directly affects the films. it makes them irrelevent.

That is totally true, and I don't think anyone would argue with you about that. It can also be noted that the best of the EU-in my opinion anyway-doesn't deal directly with the charactors from the films but with charactors who were developed afterwards (or who had very minor roles in the films, such as Wedge Antillies). By the same token it can be argued that giving Vader an apprentice is almost as bad-If you are trained and apprenticed to a lord of the sith doesn't that make you a sith? and shouldn't there only two sith at a time.....? The EU is becoming a mess, and it is in some cases flatly contadicting the films.

What I'm arguing is that it is unfair to place all the blame on GL, or accuse him of simply being out for a quick buck. I have serious doubts that he sits down and reads all the stuff that is relesed into the EU, at most he's probably just asked for general comments on outlines and even then he employs people to handle most of that. Shoving all the blame on his shoulders is like complaining to the archetect of a building that you don't like the wall paper someone else put up inside.

If the EU is turning into a fiasco, and being seen as a cash-cow then I think the blame has to fall on LA, rather than GL himself. It is LucasArts who are responsible for licencing new material, it is LA who are the ones to pick the writers and ultimatly it is LA who is the one dictating how much stuff is getting released. Looking at the quality of what they have been releasing over the last few years, I have to wonder if LA has started to realise that while Starwars sells, crappy starwars just puts people off in the long run. I for one have been put off Starwars books in the last few years because, franky, they are at best poor and at worst not worth the ink they were printed with. I know more than a few Starwars fans who have likewise said that they will never buy another SW computer game after TSL until they have read the reviews very carefully. If they keep going they will kill the entire franchise at this rate.

Anyway, in an attempt to return to the real topic of the thread. Lets hope that the lack of real news about K3 is because LA wants to give themselves time to finish the game and release it when its ready. Instead of feeling presured to release it early-as they did TSL-just to make sales (which if the game is good they will get regardless of what time of year it comes out).

Edited by Darth Mortis

i cant stand the eu that is post episode 6. It takes the 6 films and forgets them. {mockery}Sure some last of the jedi kid stopped the sith, but the bad guy came back the next day, making everything that the people in the films worked and died for irrelevant.[/mockery}

and now theres some vaders apprentice thing. They're gonna build him/her up so much, and yet he makes no difference at all in the galaxy.

The Exile's voice was stern

"Darth Nihilus, remove your mask"

The Sith Lord slowly raised his hands to his face. In utter shock, the Exile looked upon the face of.....

Jolee Bindo!!

mand3.jpg

There are some good bits in post ROTJ-EU. If they'd only've left out the whole Sith material (as mentioned above), it would've been not too bad at all. I mean, sure, maybe some 2000 years later the Sith can slowly begin to come back, but that's after a long period of time.

And don't get me started on the Legacy comics. IMO that should be degraded to sub-Infinities (take the few good elements and make a story out of that)

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Back to K3, please.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Back to K3, please.

ya i was thinkin tha same thing ! ! !

did any one read tha links i put on page 23 about starwars celebration IV ? ? ?

Edited by dustin19

I do not fear the darkside as you do - Anikin Skywalker / Lord Vader

hey good news i think maybe, i don't know how official this is so not gonna go down the " look look kotor 3 is deffinatly gonna happen" route but on the wikipedia obsidian enterainment page they say lucasarts has officially annouced that obsidian are gonna do the third and final part of the knights of the old republic trilogy set for a late half of 2008 release . wikipedia date this news release on the 25th of april 2007 i'm sending this message on the 2nd of may 2007 still nothing on either lucasarts or obsidian so don't know if this is deffinate fact but i would of thought wikipedia would be a fairly reputal source, but this along with alot of stories that are starting to surfice at the moment means theres something staring at that old lucasarts place.

anyway here's the link

cheers tommo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_Entertainment

i would of thought wikipedia would be a fairly reputal source

ok first: whats reputal (seriously, is that a word or not? I have no idea)? And second, Wkipedia is a place you can say anything without any or very little proof. I wouldn't trust it, knowing an 11 year old could have written it.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's generally a good idea to check the information on Wikipedia. The claim that KOTOR 3 was announced is a false entry.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

hey good news i think maybe, i don't know how official this is so not gonna go down the " look look kotor 3 is deffinatly gonna happen" route but on the wikipedia obsidian enterainment page they say lucasarts has officially annouced that obsidian are gonna do the third and final part of the knights of the old republic trilogy set for a late half of 2008 release . wikipedia date this news release on the 25th of april 2007 i'm sending this message on the 2nd of may 2007 still nothing on either lucasarts or obsidian so don't know if this is deffinate fact but i would of thought wikipedia would be a fairly reputal source, but this along with alot of stories that are starting to surfice at the moment means theres something staring at that old lucasarts place.

anyway here's the link

cheers tommo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_Entertainment

Are you crazy? Wikipedia is one of the worst places to get information.

Not for everything though.

Its good on most serious subjects. I used it for a study on Madagascar and I've never encountered false info.

However, when it comes to things like that, you just can't be sure.

Well, yes anyone can edit wikipedia which means that anyone can delete these lines as well, right? That's the best thing I can think off. So, if it true? Well, we will see either Lucasarts or Obsidian making an official announcements in the near future whether that be months, weeks or days doesn't matter, does it?

Master Vandar lives!

Well, yes anyone can edit wikipedia which means that anyone can delete these lines as well, right? That's the best thing I can think off. So, if it true? Well, we will see either Lucasarts or Obsidian making an official announcements in the near future whether that be months, weeks or days doesn't matter, does it?

if they do announce it , it will most likely be at celebration IV on may 24-28 , a rep at la has already said there will be two new game announcements ! ! !

I sense large deceptions though...

If there will be two new game announcements between 24-28 th of may we'll just have to wait what they will be won't we?

ya and its a celebration of starwars so im sure its two new starwars games

If there will be two new game announcements between 24-28 th of may we'll just have to wait what they will be won't we?

It's going to be a videogame set in the time of the Legacy comics and another that's going to be set in the time between Ep. III and IV :lol:;)

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

It's going to be a videogame set in the time of the Legacy comics and another that's going to be set in the time between Ep. III and IV ;):down:

how did u find that out ? ? ?or is that just ur guess