Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Are you going to get Vista?

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

Poll: Vista? (75 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you going to upgrade?

1. Yes (12 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

2. No (18 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

3. Yes, Halo3 requires Vista... (1 votes [1.33%])

Percentage of vote: 1.33%

4. Yes, X requires Vista (1 votes [1.33%])

Percentage of vote: 1.33%

5. Not untill I have to... (43 votes [57.33%])

Percentage of vote: 57.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Wistrik

Wistrik

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 560 posts

Not until I have to, which may be never if I hold out until Vista's successor arrives, like I did when WinME came along. I'll play the wait and see game, and keep my eyes on reviews.

Well, when WinME came out, Whistler was on the horizon. Whistler was the codename for Windows XP. I'm unaware of any other consumer operating system in development by Microsoft at the moment.

Yes, that's commonly known history. I meant to say I currently consider Vista to be an unnecessary upgrade, like I did WinME. There'll be another edition of Windows so long as Microsoft continues to exist. It's just a matter of when. I see no reason why they should stop now; they've had a regular upgrade schedule (more or less) since releasing their first DOS product back in the 1980s.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5240 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I will not touch Vista as long as my own OS(my bad, a license for personal use of an MS product) is spying on me (HDCP, DRM) and not supporting unified drivers. What i install on my computer and how i mod it is none of MS's business, so no Vista for me until there's a bypass out for that crap.

Edited by Meshugger, 31 January 2007 - 07:56 AM.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Ill wait till after the first service pack again. Im very nervous about this, we just bought a new HP Printer and HP says it will not come out with a Vista driver for those printers that aren't already compatible. burn! :-

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm boycotting Vista. DRM, HDCP, spyware and bloatware all rolled into one beautiful package? No thanks. I think I can survive without playing DX10 games. In fact, the forced-obsolescence that MS is pushing via DX10 is part of why I hate Vista. I might pick up an X360 though. Microsoft is free to put in all the crap they want to into their closed box, I don't care a damn. But there's no way in hell I'm letting that piece of Malware get within miles of my PC. In fact, as more and more games switch to DX10, the utility of WinXP on my machine will also be reduced to nil, so I can finally realize my dream of having a 100% clean Linux-based desktop system.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
I voted "No," but I really meant "not at this time." That's not exactly the same as "not until I must." I don't trust Vista at this point. Certainly, I trust it a lot less than I did XP at release. Nevertheless, as soon as I get word that it is reasonably safe and stable and that it will work properly on my hardware, I'll probably upgrade. Undoubtedly, I will purchase the components for my next system with Vista in mind.

Sammael

Sammael

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Not until I have to, which may be never if I hold out until Vista's successor arrives, like I did when WinME came along. I'll play the wait and see game, and keep my eyes on reviews.

Well, when WinME came out, Whistler was on the horizon. Whistler was the codename for Windows XP. I'm unaware of any other consumer operating system in development by Microsoft at the moment.

Yes, that's commonly known history. I meant to say I currently consider Vista to be an unnecessary upgrade, like I did WinME. There'll be another edition of Windows so long as Microsoft continues to exist. It's just a matter of when. I see no reason why they should stop now; they've had a regular upgrade schedule (more or less) since releasing their first DOS product back in the 1980s.

The operating system paradigm is shifting. From all I've heard, Vista is the last MS OS in the classic sense of that word. Unified OS upgrade is no longer something most users care about or want to go through.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
Well, I bought it. Its the Home Premium edition. Its sitting on my desk as we speak. :p

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts

Well, I bought it. Its the Home Premium edition. Its sitting on my desk as we speak. :thumbsup:

What? You didn't get the signed by Bill Gates Limited Edition Vista Ultimate? :-"

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The machine I am writing this on has been on for 93 days without a crash or a restart.

That's it? :thumbsup:

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
I heard it's got lousy X-fi support.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Except that ME was kind of squeezed in between releases. It was easy to avoid purchasing ME because there was talks of Whistler already out there.

Edited by alanschu, 31 January 2007 - 12:42 PM.

astr0creep

astr0creep

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1464 posts
No.

I can't afford 2000$ of PC upgrades to make the stupid thing work.

NInjaPirate

NInjaPirate

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 287 posts
My calculus teacher decided to go to a computer store and ask how many copies of vista they sold, the answer was 0.

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5135 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Another site's pole had less than 5% of the members voting to upgrade in the near future, so I think there's a general consensus that Vista isn't worth the money at the current time...

Dark_Raven

Dark_Raven

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 13727 posts

Well, I bought it. Its the Home Premium edition. Its sitting on my desk as we speak. :huh:

There's a sucker born ever minute.

Never buy the first release of OS software, its buggy and has issues.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

I heard it's got lousy X-fi support.

I ready something about creative creating a program to help its sound cards to run in Vista, i believe the name is called Alchemy... Yep here you go Bok. Clicky!

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
But it's beta...

Dark Moth

Dark Moth

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1613 posts
Vista's too expensive and too big a program right now to really even be worth getting. Most computers over 18 months old probably wouldn't even be able to run it.

THIS OS is looking really sexy, though. :huh:

SamuraiGaijin

SamuraiGaijin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 302 posts

... there's no way in hell I'm letting that piece of Malware get within miles of my PC ...

I felt the same way about Windows when it was first released - it took a long time before I believed that Windows was anything more tnan a virus they made you buy. Ultimately it came down to being able to do some work at home and compatibility issues.

If you can afford to not have faith in "the man" - and I know the issue is way more complex than that - more power to you. I'm happy that the open source community is alive and well, but Black Hat hackers and conspiracy theorists (yes, I know many of the conspiracies are based in some fact) are more scary to me than "big brother".

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd still like to build a more next-generation pc soon, since I'm still on an older one, but I'm kind of deciding that since I haven't been using the pc quite as much lately, it may wait until I do need Vista for something, which probably won't be too soon.

I've been resistant to changing the MS O/S every single time...but I always do it eventually, thus I never say never.

Unified OS upgrade is no longer something most users care about or want to go through.

I know I don't want to go through it and never did and I'd agree that the general public is probably pretty tired of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users