Vista?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to upgrade?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, Halo3 requires Vista...
    • Yes, X requires Vista
    • Not untill I have to...

I was talking more about the amount of physical force that needed to be applied to get the bastard to align so the screws could be screwed in. I was sure something was going to break. Not to mention having to bend a few parts away so it actually fit on the motherboard (the system fan was in the way).

Which fan was that?

I've had the same experience with two fans, although the first time was much worse. Most likely becaause I was unprepared. Can't remember the name of the second one (came with the processor) but the first one was a Zalman geared for a LGA775 slot. Possibly Zalman CNPS7700 (it's spinning at the moment, so I can't check :) )

Windows Vista - It still crashes, but now you enjoy it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

This tribute to WGA from zdnet's Ed Bott:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=221&tag=nl.e539

When I installed a beta version of Acclaim's 9Dragons role-playing game (protected, apparently, by nProtect's GameGuard anti-cheating software), Vista dropped a bomb on me. A time bomb, that is. The software convinced the Windows Software Licensing service that the operating system was being tampered with, deactivating the system and starting a 72-hour countdown to "reduced functionality mode."

I'm baffled that this Windows error message doesn't actually mention Windows. It just says "your license" and "your software." How am I supposed to know which license and which software. And in the left-hand-meet-right-hand department, where's Windows Defender in all this? I'm installing a piece of software that is tampering with my operating system, according to the Windows Software Licensing module. So why is Windows Defender looking the other way while this dastardly deed is being done? Why doesn't it detect and block this software?

In this case, closing the game and restarting the computer allowed me to reactivate over the Internet, but other people haven't been so lucky, based on reports filed at Microsoft's Vista Validation Issues forum.

For the record, I think Acclaim deserves a share of the blame for this problem. This problem has been known for a month, maybe much longer. When I installed the 9Dragons software today, it auto-updated itself to the latest version. Supposedly, nProtect has had a patch available for some time, so why doesn't Acclaim include it?

Still, shifting the blame around is cold comfort to a Windows user who downloads and installs a perfectly innocent-looking program only to discover that they've actually pulled the pin on a grenade that will go off in 72 hours unless it's disarmed.

So far, it looks like most of these problems respond to simple treatment: uninstall the game or program and reactivate, by phone if necessary. Still, it's a hassle to deal with, and nontechnical users are likely to be thoroughly confused.

I don't think 'confused' is the word I would have used.

WOO HOO! My new RAM is to arrive soon! 2 GB of DDR RAM with heatsinks.

I wonder if I will get a performance boost or not.

No DDR2?

2 years is not that long.

My system was almost state of the art four years ago until the damned thing died from the overclock* last week.

*The overclock had been applied since I got it four years ago, it was time.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

was it heavily overclocked? either way, 4 years on an overclocked system is a good sign. i keep threatening to overclock my systems, but i just never get around to doing it.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

was it heavily overclocked? either way, 4 years on an overclocked system is a good sign. i keep threatening to overclock my systems, but i just never get around to doing it.

taks

I know, that's why I specified, I didn't want everyone thinking I was a dumbass that killed my system overclocking it.

It was an Athlon 2500 with a locked multiplier before I got to it. After I was done with it, it thought it was a 3200.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

It was an Athlon 2500 with a locked multiplier before I got to it. After I was done with it, it thought it was a 3200.

Was it one of those mobile 2500's or was it a standard 2500? Those mobile ones could overclock like a mofo or so I was told.

Edited by Deraldin

No DDR2?

My old motherboard can't handle DDR2. No slots for it.

I still use a Socket 754 for godsakes! :blink:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Was it one of those mobile 2500's or was it a standard 2500? Those mobile ones could overclock like a mofo or so I was told.

If it was a mobile 2500 it wouldn't have had a locked multiplier. Nope, I bought it, right at the same time they locked the multipliers on the chips, right when all the overclockers switched to mobile 2500s.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP