Vista?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to upgrade?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, Halo3 requires Vista...
    • Yes, X requires Vista
    • Not untill I have to...

Im getting very ambivalent about Vista. With the rumors of a new one already in the works, and on top of that its suppose to come out in about 2 years, right? Windows is expensive now, and with the shadey drivers if their are even Vista drivers for all of your hardware, I think i might now even get it. Ill wait until its a MUST have. Im still loving XP.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Well now I got a copy of Vista sitting on my desk, just sitting there while I wait for drivers to mature.

Anyone who has it installed: how do your games run currently?

Um... same way as I did before. A short cut on the desk top.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Oh, you need to clarfiy on that part. Well, since I have been playing one game since I have installed Vista regularly, NWN2, it took some tweaking to get the settings right to have a decent FPS but for the most part I got it doing pretty well on mostly medium settings and with a slightly lower resolution. Tested out a few of the older games like Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 and they have been working okay. Max settings with KotOR made the game a tad bit wonky but when using x4 AA things settled a bit.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

When I run KOTOR and Empire at War on max settings it runs fine, but with NWN2 I have to put things on their lowest or second to lowest settings to get it to run smoothly.

Edited by thepixiesrock

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

OH MY GAWDS! I inserted the new RAM and the performance of my machine jumped big time!

It is now giving me the option of a 1900 x 1080 resolution. I didn't have that before. It looks kind of scrunched up on my monitor so I am guessing that is a widescreen resolution, but wow. I need a widescreen monitor now!

Edited by Sand

Try adding a ReadyBoost™ certified USB 2.0 Memory drive (>256MB; 2GB is optimal); it's not a super enhancement (yet) but it is going to start being a good accelerator for Memory caching (instead of using the harddrive). :mellow:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, 2 gigs have definitely jumped up the performance with NWN2. I'll say that much. :D

Try adding a ReadyBoost™ certified USB 2.0 Memory drive (>256MB; 2GB is optimal); it's not a super enhancement (yet) but it is going to start being a good accelerator for Memory caching (instead of using the harddrive). :dancing:

*confused*

Why not just get more RAM instead? Doesn't that eliminate the need for memory caching?

Some noobs are too scared to crack open their comp and put the RAM in =]

Edited by Bokishi

The only thing I am scared to touch in my case is the CPU. When and if I change CPUs I am letting a professional who knows what they are doing make the exchange.

My old AMD K62 500 Mhz had to align with pins perfectly before placing in

I haven't installed a Core 2 Duo, but the K6-2 chip was not a hard chip to install. Flip the locking lever up, make sure that the missing pin is properly aligned, place the thing in, and lock.

I know CPU fans can be "tricky" in that you better make sure you have appropriate thermal paste on their (assuming you're replacing the fan). Again, I haven't worked with one of the newer, bigger CPU fans, but they've generally been pretty straight forward as well.

My old AMD K62 500 Mhz had to align with pins perfectly before placing in

I haven't installed a Core 2 Duo, but the K6-2 chip was not a hard chip to install. Flip the locking lever up, make sure that the missing pin is properly aligned, place the thing in, and lock.

I know the K62 wasn't difficult, but the Core 2 Duo installation is friggin' effortless; just drop it in there. It doesn't even have pins to align, just make sure the corner arrow points the right way.

Those giant coolers aren't that difficult to install either, they just take time: as in removing the mobo and screwing the backplate. I actually had to cut my backplate up so it would properly mount on the back of my mobo. Wasn't difficult but it took time.

Edited by Bokishi

I was talking more about the amount of physical force that needed to be applied to get the bastard to align so the screws could be screwed in. I was sure something was going to break. Not to mention having to bend a few parts away so it actually fit on the motherboard (the system fan was in the way).

I was talking more about the amount of physical force that needed to be applied to get the bastard to align so the screws could be screwed in. I was sure something was going to break. Not to mention having to bend a few parts away so it actually fit on the motherboard (the system fan was in the way).

Which fan was that?