Vista?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to upgrade?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, Halo3 requires Vista...
    • Yes, X requires Vista
    • Not untill I have to...

The Mac OS bitching is tiresome and petty, its fans should just sit in a smug and patronising silence.

Anyway, this Vienna thing. Is it supposed to be a brand new full OS, a hefty update to Vista or a glorified service pack. I ask because the articles I have read seem to compare the seemingly imminent release date to that of of XP SP2.

The Mac OS bitching is tiresome and petty

As someone that has his roots built with the Macintosh, nothing irritates me more than the annoying insecurities that they have when it comes to Operating Systems. It's always a slough of "OMG they copied." It makes me ashamed of my Mac roots.

All I have to say is so what?

If your OS has good ideas, you'd have to be a complete fricken retard to not think it's going to be copied in another commercial OS. Microsoft would be doing a disservice to their customers by not including this sort of stuff in Vista.

The Mac OS bitching is tiresome and petty,

Especially since Macintosh were responsible for some of the most atrocious OS's in history before they gave up trying to make something of their own and just slapped a user-friendly GUI on a BSD derivate.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think the bigger issue here is that all copy protection schemes use kernel level code, which is not what Wine (or Cedega) does. As far as I can see, it will require to implement the whole new extension that will load wrapped Windows drivers (like NDIS wrapper Linux kernel module).

*confused*

Cedega does work with copy protections. Just not the CSV you can compile yourself. If you get a paid subscription (and thus access to their pre-compiled version), there shouldn't be a need for a nocd crack. At least not with some of the protections (not sure it supports them all).

As I said, I have no experience with Cedega on my own, this is just what I read when I wanted to find out more. But the pages I did read cited licensing issues to be the reason for copy protection code not being in downloadable source code.

Anyway, this Vienna thing. Is it supposed to be a brand new full OS, a hefty update to Vista or a glorified service pack. I ask because the articles I have read seem to compare the seemingly imminent release date to that of of XP SP2.

Nobody knows. Microsoft hasn't said much, and now they're hedging the timetable. (See Marketwatch excerpt below.) Early news reports described Vienna as Microsoft's "next client operating system," but the product might turn out to be little more than an expansion pack.

It's all speculation at this point.

Some hypotheses are more interesting than others. ArsTechnica, for example, suggests that Vienna might be significant technology, enabling full OS virtualization and "providing a common hardware base to all operating environments running atop that virtualized hardware." According to the article, this is a huge improvement over sandbox environments found in Parallels for OS X and other products that rely on OS-virtualization. Whether this happens in a service pack or a full OS redesign -- or if it happens at all -- remains to be seen.

Microsoft Corp. on Monday said that despite recent media reports, there is no timetable set for the release of the company's next-generation operating system, commonly referred to as " Vienna. " News reports Friday quoted Ben Fathi, a Microsoft corporate vice president, as saying that Vienna, successor to the recently launched Vista, would be released "roughly two, two-and-a-half years" from now. But Kevin Kutz, Microsoft's (msft) director of Windows communication, told MarketWatch that, "We are not giving official guidance to the public yet about the next version of Windows, other than we're working on it. When we are ready, we will provide updates."
Edited by blue

I'm not sure if I understand the database correctly, but Neverwinter Nights 2 is there and KotOR isn't (yet).

Kotor:

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3154

Kotor2:

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3664

Easy to forget that the name is actually Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

:devil:

Hmmm, strangely, I have an urge to replay KotOR, now ... :("

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

And I justheard that the comming version 5 of VMware might be able to fully virtualize WinXP on any MacOS or Linux system with full system performance and minimal "weight" from running it virtualised. What that means is that youll no longer need a dual-boot setup to play games or run windows-only apps

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

You'd still need a copy of Windows with the appropriate license though.

And theres no shortage on that, so, it would be very effective.

WOO HOO! My new RAM is to arrive soon! 2 GB of DDR RAM with heatsinks.

I wonder if I will get a performance boost or not.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

And I justheard that the comming version 5 of VMware might be able to fully virtualize WinXP on any MacOS or Linux system with full system performance and minimal "weight" from running it virtualised. What that means is that youll no longer need a dual-boot setup to play games or run windows-only apps

Update:

Except games, I can't get pixel shader and all those 3D goodies supported in VMWare.

I just had my first experience with Vista. Boy does it stink. Stupid pop ups, pointless notifications every time I go into the guts of Windows to change settings. It is also very sloooooow, but I think that may be due to the fact that Dell sells new equipment incapable of running Vista properly - which in itself is a mean practice IMO.

I guess with time and fiddling I might get used to it but since it isn't my computer I am not patient enough to use Vista.

It is also very sloooooow, but I think that may be due to the fact that Dell sells new equipment incapable of running Vista properly - which in itself is a mean practice IMO.

This correlates with the following article...

Article @ Ars Technica

So what's the real cause of the delay? On the record, everyone I've talked to has depicted the issue as one of order fulfillment. Off the record, the matter is more complex. One source at a major OEM who spoke with me on condition of anonymity said that the real issue is that OEMs are still not sure which PCs are really ready to support Vista, and which PCs aren't.

I'll tell you this, it's better than ME.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Well, when you've only used ME for seven years, it's a refreshing change.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I'll tell you this, it's better than ME.
That doesn't say a lot, anything is better than ME.

I think you guys are way too harsh on yourselves. :woot:

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

You don't really notice it's bad when it's the only thing you use.