Vista?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to upgrade?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, Halo3 requires Vista...
    • Yes, X requires Vista
    • Not untill I have to...

$240 my friend? No no no. Go to newegg.com and you can get Home premium for $119. I'm not an all out Vista fan, but hey it is the new OS and you gotta get it to use DX 10. So while I dont plan on upgrading right away, I'm sure I will in the near future.

OEM, yes. But you can only install it on one machine. That implies no major upgrades.

OEM, yes. But you can only install it on one machine. That implies no major upgrades.

No new motherboard at least.

OEM software is also tied to the motherboard it is first installed on. Unlike the retail versions of Windows which can be transferred to a new computer, OEM versions are not transferable. What about upgrading hardware? Microsoft says that anything is fair game, except the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard in a computer results in a "new personal computer," which the company considers to be synonymous with a transfer. It's not permitted with an OEM edition of Windows.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html

Microsoft's definition of what results in a "new personal computer" is variable and has changed at least three times since I started selling MS products. Last year, they were considering a combination of "motherboard + processor + hard drive" to be a computer, but I think it got shot down.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

I remember I've read somewhere a point system that outlines the cost of various hardware upgrades in points (with motherboard costing the most, of course). After reaching a certain limit, your system becomes "new" in respect to licensing. Now only if I remembered the link... so don't take my word for it, yet.

I remember I've read somewhere a point system that outlines the cost of various hardware upgrades in points (with motherboard costing the most, of course). After reaching a certain limit, your system becomes "new" in respect to licensing. Now only if I remembered the link... so don't take my word for it, yet.

I think it's buried somewhere on Microsoft's site. But yes, a point system was employed at least as far as XP went (but as Sammael said, there are no hard and fast rules with Microsoft). Once you hit the cumulative total, the point system supposed you had a new machine. But the point system itself was flawed, in that it put a larger value on some easily changeable components than it should have--in other words, theoretically, just changing out the motherboard 'shouldn't' trigger it. It wasn't very smart. I don't think it was capable of telling the difference between newer and older versions of certain chipsets, either; if the manufacturer was the same, it generated the same machine code regardless, and a full Acronis restore would sometimes take right off even if all the heavy hitters had been exchanged. (Not recommended, but an interesting experiment, all the same.)

I don't think it was capable of telling the difference between newer and older versions of certain chipsets, either; if the manufacturer was the same, it generated the same machine code regardless, and a full Acronis restore would sometimes take right off even if all the heavy hitters had been exchanged. (Not recommended, but an interesting experiment, all the same.)

Hmmm, I remember a Microsoft employee claiming that it is based on hardware serial number (which should make replacing of faulty components add up to your points though). But it was related to Vista.

Without additional software? No.

With Cedega? Yes.

Tell me about this Cedega ...

Upgrading to Vista? You might want to wait another 2 years (or 5, provided Microsoft's track record with Vista) and get a newer OS! :shifty:

It is taking place just as I knew it would. :*

So what will be the coolest new feature in Vienna?

According to Fathi, that's still being worked out. "We're going to look at a fundamental piece of enabling technology. Maybe its hypervisors, I don't know what it is," he said. "Maybe it's a new user interface paradigm for consumers."

"It's too early for me to talk about it," he added. "But over the next few months I think you're going to start hearing more and more."

If this means that Microsoft hasn't got a target for the project (i.e. major feature/s) then I am not very confident that they can produce something of any worth.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Tell me about this Cedega ...

Cedega , TransGaming's flagship Linux portability product, allows Windows games to run on Linux seamlessly and transparently, right out of the box. With Cedega installed on your computer running Linux, you can simply insert your favorite Windows game CD, install and then play that game just as you would on a Windows system.

its basically an advanced version of wine

->

Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X and Unix. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows sources to Unix and a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows binaries to run on x86-based Unixes.

Edited by Darth Tratious

as for me, let's put it this way, I am now running XP for the first time on my home system (the system is new as well)

and I am running the latest incarnation of it: XP Media Center.

I work in the IT field and so I deal with software at all stages of development but, at home, I am generally in no hurry to

upgrade. I like to wait for a really tweaked product.

Well, take Media Center, add in Vista bits, make it more stable, and you would have Vista Home Premium.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Also price.

it works for the most part i heard some games may take hours to install

Renewing Subscription (Per month, minimum 3 month purchase; 5 USD per month)

The renewing subscription option gives you uninterrupted subscription services and access to every release. As a renewing subscriber, you also qualify to reach Emerald TransGamer status which provides greater rewards, membership privileges, and discounts once you've been subscribed for a consecutive 18 months.

Extra Votes**: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 (5 USD each per month)

Non-renewing subscription (12 months; 55 USD annually; one month free)

With this option you will have to keep coming back and you will miss out on special discounts, higher status membership, and other great rewards.

Cedega price:

If you're getting the compiled version from Transgaming, you need to be a subscriber of their Cedega service. That costs $5 per month and includes (limited) support, access to forum and of course any and all updates they release.

It's also possible to download the source from them for free and compile it yourself. Doing it this way will leave out some functionality though. Specifically, Cedega won't be able to handle copy protection (that part of the code is licensed from the copy protection companies) so most games will require a nocd crack to function.

Note that Cedega is not released under GPL, so the source code being available can change at any time. Also note that while the base may be Wine, the two are now developed completely separately since Wine switched over to the GPL license.

A list of games that have been tested with Cedega and any issues with them can be found here:

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

(I have not used it myself, but this thread peaked my curiosity as well so I did some research)

Cedega price:

If you're getting the compiled version from Transgaming, you need to be a subscriber of their Cedega service. That costs $5 per month and includes (limited) support, access to forum and of course any and all updates they release.

It's also possible to download the source from them for free and compile it yourself. Doing it this way will leave out some functionality though. Specifically, Cedega won't be able to handle copy protection (that part of the code is licensed from the copy protection companies) so most games will require a nocd crack to function.

Note that Cedega is not released under GPL, so the source code being available can change at any time. Also note that while the base may be Wine, the two are now developed completely separately since Wine switched over to the GPL license.

A list of games that have been tested with Cedega and any issues with them can be found here:

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

(I have not used it myself, but this thread peaked my curiosity as well so I did some research)

I'm not sure if I understand the database correctly, but Neverwinter Nights 2 is there and KotOR isn't (yet).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Specifically, Cedega won't be able to handle copy protection (that part of the code is licensed from the copy protection companies) so most games will require a nocd crack to function.

I think the bigger issue here is that all copy protection schemes use kernel level code, which is not what Wine (or Cedega) does. As far as I can see, it will require to implement the whole new extension that will load wrapped Windows drivers (like NDIS wrapper Linux kernel module).

I stil can't find where to change like, brightness and stuff. ME was so easy to use. : (

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.