Vista?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to upgrade?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, Halo3 requires Vista...
    • Yes, X requires Vista
    • Not untill I have to...

Check out this recent comparison (using both games and common applications) between XP and Vista:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-...ista/index.html

No OpenGL support whatsoever?!? :wacko:

How do I change my vote from "not until I have to" to "no"? :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"Games on Linux: MS - for all of the criticisms - continues to offer the most integrated cross-spectrum stable OS for hardware. Apple pales and Linux stutters in this regard .."

Really, I heard the Unreal Tournament series on linux servers ran smoother, unfortunately not a single other game comes to mind that I could get for it. If the game choices were there I wouldn't mind the hassle of getting Linux to accept all my hardware, lesser of two evils.

"The machine I am writing this on has been on for 93 days without a crash or a restart. It's Windows XP Pro SP2 Swedish."

Yeah, I love my electric bill too.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

If I do, at some point, I think it will only be on a single machine--assuming that would provide a function I just can't live without. DOS 6 and Win98se have earned that right, because they do certain things (okay, some games) better than my XP workhorse. But those are only used occasionally and were no sweat, since I already had the OS's and hardware lying around. If I have to do a major upgrade just to make it happy, not so much. Not worth it just for the sake of tinkering--not even for a single app. The OS itself isn't worth the cost, as the Home Premium and Basic versions offer very little more than XP--again, you've got to go Pro.

Well, I am buying my new PC in piecemeal and I am starting with the OS. So, I will be buying Windows Vista, may the Gods of Computing help me! :wacko:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Besides not being a part of Microsoft what does OpenGL have that is a advantage to games and gamers.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I won't get it until I'm forced to do it. No point before that.

I'm running XP SP1 and it never crashes.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

What does cross platform have to do with PC games? It doesn't improve graphics, does it? Make the game run faster? As for stability I have found DirectX to be just as stable as OpenGL. So far I don't see much advantage over OpenGL for the typical PC gamer.

I won't be upgrading my OS, and I'd counsel everyone to act accordingly; buy the new OS when you buy your next PC.

(Apparently it is a nightmare to setup a local network.)

Well, I am buying my new PC in piecemeal and I am starting with the OS. So, I will be buying Windows Vista, may the Gods of Computing help me! :o

You're buying the OS first? That's the craziest thing I've heard today.

What does cross platform have to do with PC games? It doesn't improve graphics, does it? Make the game run faster? As for stability I have found DirectX to be just as stable as OpenGL. So far I don't see much advantage over OpenGL for the typical PC gamer.

"Cross platform" means that PC games are not the only market; NwN was available for Linux users, for example.

OpenGL is just a different (read: incompatible) way of handling graphics. DirectX is a proprietary Microsoft Windows mechanism.

The advantage for OpenGL is that it doesn't lock the player into a single platform; if Microsoft decided to charge $50 for every game to licence DirectX you'd soon see the advantage of having a choice ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't own a full OS. I mean I got XP Home on my current computer but since it was a prebuilt I didn't have a disc. The only OS that I own on disc is Windows ME and well, that is buried somewhere in my closet. I figure the OS first because that is the backbone of the system. I need to get parts that works with the OS otherwise what would be the point?

No. I have no reason to get it right now. My WinXP Pro and WinXP Media Center Edition work just fine on my systems. When the time comes that I build another PC than I may consider it, after the bugs have been worked out of Vista.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'm probably going to get (or, if I'm feeling brave, build) a new PC in a couple of months. So I guess I'll get it then. Hopefully that'll be long enough for most of the driver support issues to be resolved. From what I've read, I honestly expect to have more difficulties adapting to the new Office UI than I will with Vista.

Not until I have to, which may be never if I hold out until Vista's successor arrives, like I did when WinME came along. I'll play the wait and see game, and keep my eyes on reviews.

Well, when WinME came out, Whistler was on the horizon. Whistler was the codename for Windows XP. I'm unaware of any other consumer operating system in development by Microsoft at the moment.

Yes, that's commonly known history. I meant to say I currently consider Vista to be an unnecessary upgrade, like I did WinME. There'll be another edition of Windows so long as Microsoft continues to exist. It's just a matter of when. I see no reason why they should stop now; they've had a regular upgrade schedule (more or less) since releasing their first DOS product back in the 1980s.

I will not touch Vista as long as my own OS(my bad, a license for personal use of an MS product) is spying on me (HDCP, DRM) and not supporting unified drivers. What i install on my computer and how i mod it is none of MS's business, so no Vista for me until there's a bypass out for that crap.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm boycotting Vista. DRM, HDCP, spyware and bloatware all rolled into one beautiful package? No thanks. I think I can survive without playing DX10 games. In fact, the forced-obsolescence that MS is pushing via DX10 is part of why I hate Vista. I might pick up an X360 though. Microsoft is free to put in all the crap they want to into their closed box, I don't care a damn. But there's no way in hell I'm letting that piece of Malware get within miles of my PC. In fact, as more and more games switch to DX10, the utility of WinXP on my machine will also be reduced to nil, so I can finally realize my dream of having a 100% clean Linux-based desktop system.

I voted "No," but I really meant "not at this time." That's not exactly the same as "not until I must." I don't trust Vista at this point. Certainly, I trust it a lot less than I did XP at release. Nevertheless, as soon as I get word that it is reasonably safe and stable and that it will work properly on my hardware, I'll probably upgrade. Undoubtedly, I will purchase the components for my next system with Vista in mind.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Not until I have to, which may be never if I hold out until Vista's successor arrives, like I did when WinME came along. I'll play the wait and see game, and keep my eyes on reviews.

Well, when WinME came out, Whistler was on the horizon. Whistler was the codename for Windows XP. I'm unaware of any other consumer operating system in development by Microsoft at the moment.

Yes, that's commonly known history. I meant to say I currently consider Vista to be an unnecessary upgrade, like I did WinME. There'll be another edition of Windows so long as Microsoft continues to exist. It's just a matter of when. I see no reason why they should stop now; they've had a regular upgrade schedule (more or less) since releasing their first DOS product back in the 1980s.

The operating system paradigm is shifting. From all I've heard, Vista is the last MS OS in the classic sense of that word. Unified OS upgrade is no longer something most users care about or want to go through.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Well, I bought it. Its the Home Premium edition. Its sitting on my desk as we speak. :p