PC cable organization

Bokishi

^Same here.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Does it impact dust level inside the case in any way?

Doesn't do much for the pup's nose and whiskers, I'll tell ye true. :'( My tower has to sit on the floor.

So yeah, I pay attention to cables and air flow, but it's not fancy. I got geeky about component heat/energy efficiency this time around ... the 'holistic' approach, LOL. I wanted to see what happened if I didn't make the heat in the first place. (And what happened is the CPU fan speed shutdown gave me heart attacks--solely because it wasn't getting warm enough to shift the fan into 2nd gear in time). The wide open room probably has a lot to do with that. It's still a pain to have to take the side off every time I want to change or dust something out. And filters or no, dust is always a battle.

Some cases are designed for a specific kind of airflow and opening up the sides on it only worsens the flow. My case (Antec P180) is such a case. If I open up the sides on it, the temperature of my CPU actually increases. Also, the Antec P180 comes equipped with machine washable dust filters that keeps the worst dust away. They've been very good so far as the inside of my case is still almost completely dust free after almost a year of usage.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I used to have the side of my case off, but then a bunch of spiders started living inside it. The case has been kept on since then to keep the bugs out. I have a standard beige computer case that has zero case fans so I don't have to worry about airflow problems as there isn't any airflow in the first place. As a consequence the huge nest of wires doesn't impact anything. Even if I wanted to route the wires around out of the way, the guy who put it together did such a crappy job that I would have to take everything apart before I could get any semblance of order.

It's pertinent to point out the constituents of "dust" at this point, as some people would be prone to more of it than others (say pet owners, for example).

Dust in homes, offices, and other human environments is mainly generated by the inhabitants, and mainly from their skin cells that slough off. About 70 percent of the dust content is made up of dead human skin cells.[citation needed] Some atmospheric dust from the outdoors is also present. On average, approximately 6 mg/m2/day[1] of house dust is formed in private households, depending primarily on the amount of time spent at home. "Dust bunnies" are little clumps of fluff that form when sufficient dust accumulates.

Insects and other small fauna found in houses have their own subtle interactions with dust that may have adverse impact on the health of its regular occupants. Thus, in many climates it is wise to keep a modicum of airflow going through a house, by keeping doors and windows open or at least slightly ajar. Once outside, dust particles are borne away by the breeze or disintegrated by sunlight. In colder climates, it is essential to manage dust and airflow, since the climate encourages occupants to seal even the smallest air gaps, and thus eliminate any possibility of fresh air entering.

House dust mites are on all surfaces and even suspended in air. Dust mites feed on minute particles of organic matter, the main constituent of house dust. They excrete enzymes to digest dust particles; these enzymes and their feces, in turn, become part of house dust and can provoke allergic reactions in humans. Dust mites flourish in the fibers of bedding, furniture, and carpets.

The particles that make up house dust can easily become airborne, so care must be exercised when removing dust, as the activity intended to sanitize or remove dust may make it airborne. One way to repel dust is with some kind of electrical charge, but house dust can be removed by as many as 10 methods, such as: wiping, swiping, or sweeping by hand, or with a dust cloth, sponge, duster, or broom, or by suction by a vacuum cleaner or air filter. The device being used traps the dust; however, some may become airborne and come to settle in the cleaner's lungs, thus making the activity somewhat hazardous.

If you keep the pressure higher inside the case (and the case closed!) then that will also help to reduce the dust settling inside.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Beyond making sure wires aren't going to be chewed up by fans or melted by resting against something hot - neither of which is ever a major risk imo, I pay no attention to it. I don't think I have enough wires in my pc to worry about, in the first place. I'm always much more annoyed by trying to keep wires on the outside/around the desk etc. out of the way - not only from the pc but the scanner, printer, cameras, etc.

Airflow hasn't been an issue in my main computer.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I only have laptops at the moment, so my cables are all printed circuits on IC boards. :D

The cables that snake out of my docking station are all tidied away, though, so that I can keep everything clean. I remember way back when I first started work, whilst still at school, as a PC repairman and I confounded a user by diagnosing his keyboard problem as a voltage jump across the PC's cables (including the keyboard cable); I simply separated them and the problem was solved. :D (Stupid unshielded cables.)

When I buy my next PC, which will be a gaming rig, I will pay particular attention to air flow, and that means keeping the cables tidy (though one must be mindful of coiling any unshielded cables ... ).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The cables that snake out of my docking station are all tidied away, though, so that I can keep everything clean. I remember way back when I first started work, whilst still at school, as a PC repairman and I confounded a user by diagnosing his keyboard problem as a voltage jump across the PC's cables (including the keyboard cable); I simply separated them and the problem was solved. :D (Stupid unshielded cables.)

PC repairmen everywhere hate you. You could have sold them a new keyboard, power supply, and had them reinstall Windows -- teaches them a lesson for calling you out, and makes a tidy profit on labor and hardware ... all without straining a brain cell.* Since the cables were moved in the process, it's fixed!! Wottsamattau? You didn't get the flier?

(*this message has been provided for you courtesy of

Dell

, and does not reflect the views of this station.)