What are you playing now?

Darque

Oops.. Sorry.. I thought you mant BOS for PS2; not the actual Tatics PC game. Meh. BOS is better.

Edit:

... continued from here.

Edited by metadigital

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Surely Episode 2 was already in development.  What reason would there be to scrap it

It would require they keep their plans to shift focus a secret. Episode 2 was due around about now, and it may well have been in a near finished state, but it would be a pretty ****ty thing to do to release the next chapter when you know you aren't going to be doing any more.

Such news would likely get out anyway, which could hurt sales with people not wanting to support the product when they'll never get the other chapters, and ultimately that would make for a bad reputation.

I'm not sure. I'd still buy Episode 2 if it came out today.

Heh, so would I, but then I never claimed that no one would buy it, just that it wouldn't be enough to outweigh the negative.

I'm guessing it's time to chalk this one up to the "I guess we'll never really know" department.

EDIT: Though we can go elsewhere with this. Do you think that SiN Episode 1 was hampered by the fact that it was episodic?

Edited by alanschu

Do you think that SiN Episode 1 was hampered by the fact that it was episodic?

SiN Episode 1 doesn't really stand out from the crowd, but then neither did SiN. Same with all of Ritual's FPS.

The 9 planned episodes aren't like one game cut up into small pieces, it's more like 4 or 5 games cut up into small pieces (this is my opinion is based on the size and content of episode 1), so I think it was arrogance on their part to think they could keep it up.

Episode 1 didn't lose money, it met their conservative estimates, and my desire for a single game rather than a bunch of episodes comes from me wanting a single game with a complete story, rather than think episodes aren't good business. For all i know Ritual has what it takes to make what they planned, it's just their new owners don't want that. Hell, maybe we'll even see an episode or two that attempts to finish the story.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

I actually don't mind the idea of episodic content, and think it's a wonderful way for consumers to test waters with new gamestyles. I also agree that SiN's moderate success, and relative low profile compared to Half-Life and Unreal, are probably bigger reasons to SiN's relative lack of popularity. While I don't know for sure, I imagine that Half-Life Episode One was significantly more successful, though Valve/Half-Life has made a big enough impact in the eyes of gamers that it could be digitized fecal matter and people (myself included) would still eat it up.

It's certainly an interesting way to find ways to get incremental ROI, especially considering the costs associated with game development have reached such high levels.

Since we're talking so much about Sin: Eps, I figure this link might be enticing.

http://www.romsteady.net/blog/2007/01/what...ed-preview.html

Michael Russel, the man who runs that blog, is former head of QA at Ritual during the time that they worked on Sin: Episodes. Some of you may have read the blog before, it's become somewhat infamous over a couple of incidents. I've been following it since Sin: Episode 1. He seems to believe he was laid off in preperation for the company's sale to MumboJumbo. And it seems he has a theory on why the sale is happening. When he gets this post done, should be an interesting read.

You can also search through his blog for other interesting information relating to Sin, including some of the changes they had to make for the USK version.

And according to the GameDaily update, MumboJumbo will be strictly working on casual games. This means no Sin: Episode 2.

"The idea of acquiring Ritual was to have them strengthen our development in the casual genre and not to have them involved at all in the action style games," Cottam explained. "If there's an opportunity to have them do something on the SiN episodes, we would look at that, but that will not be the focus of the company. The combined companies will focus exclusively on casual, unless opportunities present themselves that we think are strategic from a business standpoint... Again, I wouldn't close the door on [traditional games] but that's not the primary focus."
Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Dark Crusade, as Eldar Farseer Taldeer of Ulthwe's taskforce. FINALLY.

Elated, grosly aroused and terribly terribly amused.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The only thing I've been playing is N. It's very addictive.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well, I got stuck at 24's last room, so I started doing other levels randomly.

So right now (checks game), I finished the 00 and 10 columns, and reached for each column:

24, 38, 49, 54, 69, 74, 81, 96

Heja Sverige!!

Edit: Well crud, seems it doesn't work that way. :shifty:

Looks like you own this one Volo :x

Edit 2: There we go...

Whew, I'm glad this happened, I needed to learn to do this. :)

-----

Oh, yeah, and I'm currently playing NEXUS WAR :)

A fun, free, text based MMO.

Edited by Darque

A fun, free, text based MMO.

Aren't those MUDs?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I have no idea what a MUD is.

Online multi user dungeons that are text based. They tend to be hack and slash. There are RP style games as well, but they are often called MUXes or MUSHes.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So right now (checks game), I finished the 00 and 10 columns, and reached for each column:

39 and 55 now.

Heja Sverige!!

39 and 55 now.

*checks his own install hoping it hasn't deleted his progress again*

I'm pretty sure it's lost 3 or 4 episodes worth this time. I could have sworn I had completed up to 36. Although that's still not as bad as losing everything from 12 up to 63. :thumbsup:

Thanks to you I've started up again. Which on was 49? Did it have that really annoying one that was basically a three square tall tunnel swarming with mines and homing zap drones? It was either 49 or 59 and it had me stumped for months. I really don't look forward to having to beat that one again. :aiee:

Edited by Deraldin