HD-DVD Hacked!

zer"0"

Black Hats: 1

DRM & Co.: 0

Place your bets, ladies and gents! Round 1 goes to the hackers. Round 2... Ding! Ding!

LOL! Just something I had to share. Details below.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070125/tc_nm/hackers_dvd_dc

AACS confirms hacks on high-definition DVD players

A consortium of movie studios and technology companies backing the encryption system for high-definition DVDs on Thursday confirmed that hackers have stolen "title keys" and used them to decrypt high-definition DVDs through flaws in DVD player software.

Both the title keys and a number of decrypted films have been posted on peer-to-peer Web sites for downloading and copying, a spokesman for the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) Licensing Authority said.

The large size of the files and the high cost of writable hi-def discs make large-scale copying of high-definition DVDs impractical, but the attacks on the new format echo the early days of illegal trafficking in music files, AACS spokesman Michael Ayers said on Thursday.

The hackers did not attack the AACS system itself, but stole the keys as they were exchanged between the DVD and the player to strip the encryption from the film.

The confirmation of the attack comes about a month after a hacker called Muslix64 described in an online posting how he defeated the encryption system by using DVD player software.

:cool:

Bot?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

weird bot  :lol:

Bot? He's got 270 posts and has been registered here longer than you have. What makes you think he's a bot? :)

On the article, I could have sworn this was reported a few weeks ago. :)

EDIT: Now that I've read the article it does make mention that someone claimed they had cracked it about a month ago.

@ Surreptishus

The security breach affects both of the high-definition DVD formats -- Sony Corp's Blu-Ray and Toshiba's HD DVD, Ayers said.

Apparently you're right. ;)

Edited by Deraldin

Can someone plz elaborate what hacking title keys actually is? I don't even understand what they are saying.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

In AACS 2 keys are used: title key and HD-DVD player model key. Encrypted disc contains data encrypted with this disc's title key, and also contains title key itself encrypted with all model keys, so only licensed HD-DVD players can play the disc.

To play a disc, a player uses its key to decrypt a title key, and a title key to decrypt content.

The hackers pulled a key from HD-DVD software in order to obtain title keys from discs and decrypt the content.

So AACS is not really hacked, but circumvented.

Oh so they are playing hd dvds on regular dvd players?

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I think i get it now.

Can someone plz elaborate what hacking title keys actually is?  I don't even understand what they are saying.

Each title (read: HD movie) has its own key, which the player decrypts using its own product key. This allows Hollywood to invalidate a HD-DVD player that has been hacked.

What the crackers have done is find a universal hack for titles, circumventing the players' decryption technology.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So thats why I saw a HD-DVD film on a torrent site the other day. Its beyond naive of the large corporations to believe that they can produce a technology that cannot be hacked. Also, most DRM's just end up causing more trouble for the legitimate user than the pirate

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't think they are that clueless. They know it can't be stopped, but they try to delay it, or at least make pirate distribution more difficult. As for DRM, HD-DVD copy protection is not nearly as invasive as DRM for downloads. DVD has content encryption system too, did it cause much trouble to legit consumers? (note: I'm not talking region coding here, which is pure evil)

It's official.

News

[security]

Friday 26th January 2007

Licence body confirms hi-def encryption has been cracked

10:49AM

A consortium of movie studios and technology companies backing the encryption system for high-definition DVDs on Thursday confirmed that hackers have stolen 'title keys' and used them to decrypt high-definition DVDs through flaws in DVD player software.

Both the title keys and a number of decrypted films have been posted on peer-to-peer websites for downloading and copying, a spokesman for the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) Licensing Authority said.

The large size of the files and the high cost of writable hi-def discs make large-scale copying of high-definition DVDs impractical, but the attacks on the new format echo the early days of illegal trafficking in music files, AACS spokesman Michael Ayers said on Thursday.

'We want to make sure we address this now. It has a potentially limited impact now but some sobering possibilities,' Ayers said.

The hackers did not attack the AACS system itself, but stole the keys as they were exchanged between the DVD and the player to strip the encryption from the film.

A large-scale failure of AACS could be a threat to the $24 billion DVD industry, which has started to cool and is counting on next-generation DVD sales to reinvigorate it.

The hackers obtained the keys from 'one or more' player applications but AACS would not identify them or say whether their AACS licensing would be revoked.

'We certainly have not ruled out any particular response and we will take whatever action is appropriate,' Ayers said.

The security breach affects both of the high-definition DVD formats - Sony's Blu-Ray and Toshiba's HD DVD, Ayers said.

The confirmation of the attack comes about a month after a hacker called Muslix64 described in an online posting how he defeated the encryption system by using DVD player software.

AACS LA founders include IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, Walt Disney and Warner Bros Studios, a unit of Time Warner.

clickie

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's official.

[sNIP]Article[/sNIP]

That's almost exactly the same article that was quoted in the first post. In fact the first 5 sentences are word for word. :mellow:

I noticed too... I think Meta is losing it. :ermm:

Let's just hope he doesn't remember he has mod powers after he totally loses it. :ermm:

He also posted about the Hitachi 1TB hard drives more than a week after I posted about them. :-"