PDA opinions?

Arkan

I'm looking to get into the market for a good solid PDA with good functionality and a good price. I've come across this one from Dell:

Dell AximTM X51v

axim51v_cradle_angle_314x314.jpg

Propaganda:

-Microsoft

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I checked some reviews. Everything seems pretty positive, with very few (if any) major flaws or drawbacks.

I'd like if it had video capture ability, but with all this for 281...

Oh yeah, what kind of software can be installed on Windows Mobile?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I have the Palm LifeDrive fwiiw.

Re: Dell. They are no longer going to carry a PDA loine iirc after the current gen. Do with that as you will as you discern >_

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I have the Palm LifeDrive fwiiw.

Re: Dell. They are no longer going to carry a PDA loine iirc after the current gen. Do with that as you will as you discern :p

Meh, by the time I'm ready to get a new one another comparable, if not substantially better, model will be available, I'm sure. Such is technology.

I loathe WinCE and Windows Mobile PDAs, because battery life is crap. Well, at least to my experience.

When I'll be getting a PDA-like device, I'll get some Ultimate Convergence Device, or at least, a 3G smartphone, one from UIQ or Nokia S60. You can use them with one hand (think, standing when commuting on the train), and your pocket does not bulge from all different electronics: MP3 player, phone, PDA.

Windows CE-compatible is not my first choice for a PDA; having said that, it means you can load applications like Excel, Word and Powerpoint (all cut-down versions).

The Dell model is really good value and a cutting edge model (I don't like Dell and I wouldn't buy one, however).

Palm is the market leader (for a reason), though this means that they can be a bit pricey: they use the Symbian OS which I think is far superior; though I use it on my Sony-Ericsson mobile-PDA device (which can connect directly to Windows PCs, too).

The Blackberry is a very popular choice, too, if you primarily want mobile email (also available on most 3G and Smartphones); though there is an enormous patent battle they are enmeshed in that has caused some concern.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The Blackberry is a very popular choice, too, if you primarily want mobile email (also available on most 3G and Smartphones); though there is an enormous patent battle they are enmeshed in that has caused some concern.

I could have sworn that RIM settled that dispute. :blink: I seem to recall a major settlement payout.

Palm is the market leader (for a reason), though this means that they can be a bit pricey: they use the Symbian OS

Palm devices run Palm OS, not Symbian OS!

which I think is far superior; though I use it on my Sony-Ericsson mobile-PDA device (which can connect directly to Windows PCs, too).

Symbian is more technically superior, however it is plagued by a multitude of problems on development side. It is far cheaper to develop for WM.

What is the CE after windows?

Anyway, I purchased the Axim X51v and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I'll play around with it when I get it and let you all know how much I like/hate it.

Can you install (some) regular PC software on PDAs? I ask because my college requires a VPN client to connect wirelessly to the network. I'm also researching turning the PDA into a cheap alternative to a cell phone via VOIP (using Skype, perhaps), though I'll have to wait till I really get used to the functionality of the device before I undertake that. If I can do that, I'll be a super happy camper. That means the only thing it wouldn't do is take pictures and record video.

Edited by Arkan

So I finally got my new toy..erh...tool, today. Been playing with it for a while. The size is perfect, it's light, the screen looks great and is of ample size as to allow the stylus make for efficient keyboarding (I imagine after a bit of practices I'll be able to do it just as fast as I can write, which isn't too fast to begine with, which is why I first bought a laptop...but I digress) and good note taking class, as well as a good enough resolution to display great pictures of my scanned text book chapters.

It the WiFi connected flawlessly out of the box, which unfortuneately did not come with a software cd, so I had to download activesync. Everything is up and running and charged.

Once I get my hands on some customization software (including Skype for near-free phoning), storage cards and games, this thing will be all that I need...text books for class, notepad for notes, voice recording for notes-to-self (always wanted to make one of those, hehe), phone, entertainment, web access, study tool, planner and the world now virtually at my fingertips...versatility defined. Muahahahahah! Anyway, off to play with my new toy...damnit! I mean tool...TOOL!

Edited by Arkan

When you are done playing tell us about you experience:
  1. Skype
  2. book readers
  3. pdf viewer
  4. browser, email
  5. VPN software (if possible, I have only access via VPN on my campus)
  6. and battery life

:p

1. Skype is awesome. It's basically free phone service. Of course, I need a good wifi connection. When I have one, reception is great on both ends.

2. I just use scanned pictures for the books. It has amazing quality for such a small (compared to what I'm used to, hehe) screen. It's easy to scroll around and read or jump to points of interest.

3. Haven't looked at a PDF yet.

4. The browser is serviceable when used for checking e-mail and things like that. I'm looking into some third party software to give a larger viewing area.

5. I'm checking on the VPN software tomorrow.

6. Battery life is great, unless I accidentally leave the wireless radio on ;) . Leaving it on and taking notes in class skunked it in about 3 hours. It was a good 4 plus hours after I turned off the radio (and still used it quite frequently).

I'm really liking it, even when I haven't unlocked its full potential. Pocket SNES, here I come!

I'm really liking it, even when I haven't unlocked its full potential. Pocket SNES, here I come!

X-Com on the go! :yes:

Ok...I found this site before I received my PDA that had a ton of customization software, but now I have no idea what it was... :'(

Anybody know any good sites for stuff like this?

;)
Did you buy the Axim?