Best Prices for Windows XP?

Dark Moth

Mac user? Bleh.

Who in their right mind uses a Mac? :thumbsup:

Then probably XP would be best because it is tried and true with working with Boot Camp. I don't know anyone who has gotten Boot Camp working with Vista.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I am not advising to get Vista because it is the latest software. I am advising him to get Vista because if you are going to spend the money to get a new OS anyway you might as well get what is current that way you don't have to worry about upgrading later. If I wasn't seeking to get a upgraded system I wouldn't have bothered getting Vista but so far I am happy with it. The only quirk it has so far is when I have Firefox running the screen bounces.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I am not advising to get Vista because it is the latest software. I am advising him to get Vista because if you are going to spend the money to get a new OS anyway you might as well get what is current that way you don't have to worry about upgrading later. If I wasn't seeking to get a upgraded system I wouldn't have bothered getting Vista but so far I am happy with it. The only quirk it has so far is when I have Firefox running the screen bounces.

You are assuming that Vista is a required upgrade. Why is that?

Required? Well, if you want to use DirectX 10 games and software in their full splendor it will be required. Is it required at this very moment in time? No, but does it make sense to spend a $100 or so on XP then having to spend another $200 or so on Vista later? Think it as a preemptive strike.

As for DRM I have no plans on doing any piracy along those lines so I doubt that will even effect me.

Edited by Sand

Do you really need to buy anything? There are other ways to get things for free... :thumbsup:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Required? Well, if you want to use DirectX 10 games and software in their full splendor it will be required. Is it required at this very moment in time? No, but does it make sense to spend a $100 or so on XP then having to spend another $200 or so on Vista later? Think it as a preemptive strike.

When

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I have never been hit with any copy protection problems with Microsoft and Vista, so far, is no different. I am only against copy protection that hampers legitimate use. So far I haven't came across any that hampers my over all use of Vista.

I have never been hit with any copy protection problems with Microsoft

Because up to XP there was none?

and Vista, so far, is no different. I am only against copy protection that hampers legitimate use. So far I haven't came across any that hampers my over all use of Vista.

... ummm

I hate copy protection.
Copy protection is your friend! It keeps the pirates from stealing the informations and keeps the cost of your entertainment down!
No, it ****s up normal use for people.

Yes, and there has been many cases that copy protection messes things up for legitimate users, like Starforce and SecuROM. However if copy protection doesn't hamper legitimate use then I am all for it. It is the only reasonable recourse to solve the situation of software piracy. If Microsoft developed a copy protection scheme that does not hamper legitimate use but stops piracy then I am all for it.

I am also giddy for I just tested Fallout 1 and 2 on Vista and they work! HAHAHAHAHA!

It is the only reasonable recourse to solve the situation of software piracy. If Microsoft developed a copy protection scheme that does not hamper legitimate use but stops piracy then I am all for it.

The deal is not about software piracy...

You have no idea what you've bought, do you? :shifty:

I don't watch movies/DVDs on my PC so how does this effect me?

Well, to put what you said to the test I just put in my copy of Lord of the Rings in and well, it looks fine. Everything is still crisp and clear and the play back is very smooth. I think you are just being an alarmist for no reason.

Why would I have a HD-DVD version of LotR when I don't have a HD-DVD on my computer?

You are making it sound like all video output is going to looking like fuzzy dice which is obviously not true. I don't think there will be a need for HD DVD players in computers for a very very very long time. Just take how long it took for DVD players to become the norm.

Edited by Sand

I did say it? I never said a thing. You implied it. But it is a fact that new HD formats will replace DVD and not in a very very long time.

Anyway, then by your logic you shouldn't have bought Vista, or you think DirectX10 will obsolete DX9 games overnight?

No, but I upgraded so that I wouldn't have to later on.

Oh, I plan on getting a HD DVD burner but after I get the motherboard, CPU, a 1 TB harddrive, new RAM, new case, keyboard and mouse.

Edited by Sand

Please stop derailing my thread. If you have anything useful to say about XP, please say so. Otherwise, talk about Vista in the other topic. And no, I have no intention of getting Vista at this point. I don't have the money, nor do I think it would run very well on my iMac. I'll probably upgrade later on, but not at this point.

I apologize. If I was going to get XP I would get the Media Edition or XP Pro. They are just as stable as XP Home and added versitility. Then again if you are just getting something basic then XP Home is the route to go. Newegg has them all pretty cheap on the OEM front. Retail is still up there however.

This is the one I suggest: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16832116171

You even get a coupon in case you do want to upgrade to Vista later on. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sand

Well, the only real thing I plan on using XP for is games. Which would be better in that aspect? Everything else, my Mac OS can probably handle on its own. Let's face it, Mac won't enjoy nearly the game availability that Windows has for a looooooooooooong time, if ever. I'm going to install XP separately using Bootcamp. And in case it was missed in my first post, I need a single-disk package with Service Pack 2.

If there's no difference between Home and Pro in that regard, I'll probably end up getting Home since it's cheaper. I believe I've heard Pro can be better in that regard, but I am unsure. If Pro ends up being the better choice though, I'll probably end up with that.

Edited by Dark Moth