Best Prices for Windows XP?

Dark Moth

I was debating whether or not to get XP for my Macintosh since Vista was coming out so soon, but now I'm not sure if I want to do that. I'm now seriously considering just getting Windows XP and maybe upgrading to Vista later if necessary. Unfortunately, $200 is a bit steep for someone like me. :)

So my only question is if anyone out there has any recommendations on where to buy Windows XP for the best prices. I'm looking for a good, reliable source that can also offer it fairly cheap. Keep in mind, I'm looking for only the Full Home Edition (no upgrades) and need Service Pack 2 for it to be able to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Dark Moth

OEM is always cheaper. Or you could buy it second hand (google or eBay).

The Home edition is an inferior product, by the way.

But it's cheaper. :p

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions people. I think I know where I want to order it now, but I have one last question. Is there any disadvantage or difference in buying an OEM as compared to a normal retail version? That's what I'll end up buying since they're all so cheap.

If you buy an OEM Windows product, you are legally bound to install it on one one and only one computer (MS's definition of what a "computer" is changes all the time) and you must place the supplied sticker on the front side of the computer case. There are no functional differences between it and the retail (OLP) version. Technically, you are breaking the law if you obtain an OEM version without a new computer (it used to be legal to get it with any piece of hardware - such as a mouse - but this is no longer the case), so I am not sure why you are buying it in the first place.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

IIRC there is a slight difference in the Dell OEM version, in that it makes you reformat first, instead of giving the option of choosing another directory. I have seen that kind of tweaking by some computer manufacturers. Regardless, it's wise to tread a little lightly with OEM. It's not unheard of to purchase a copy whose reg code will not validate because it's already been used somewhere else; by the time it gets through several discount vendors to eBay, the trail is snarled and so is sorting the problem out in thirty days or less.

Upgrades are cheaper, too, though you are probably looking at the Windows XP Upgrade (not for Original Equipment Manufacturers, obviously, as they are installing the OS on a new machine).

It's an identical product.

Microsoft is quite sensitive about re-installing Windows on another PC; this also has repercussions if you change your motherboard (for example), as Windows XP thinks you have installed it on a new PC and will have issues when you try to activate it online.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I bought OEM on the advice of my learned colleague over there *indicates steaming antipodean* It seems to work fine.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Upgrades are cheaper, too, though you are probably looking at the Windows XP Upgrade (not for Original Equipment Manufacturers, obviously, as they are installing the OS on a new machine).

It's an identical product.

Microsoft is quite sensitive about re-installing Windows on another PC; this also has repercussions if you change your motherboard (for example), as Windows XP thinks you have installed it on a new PC and will have issues when you try to activate it online.

There are ways around this, though I'm not advocating such actions :)" :)

Shouldn't XP see a great reduction in price after Vista is officially dropped?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Shouldn't XP see a great reduction in price after Vista is officially dropped?

You know, I don't believe we will. XP is still Microsoft's bread and butter, and from all indications, Vista may start off slower than they might hope. They've already announced that support for XP Home will be continued for another three years, just like they're doing for their business customers. XP lives, and that shows it has value to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I have one last question: would you recommend either XP Home or XP Pro? XP Pro costs more, but according to Meta it's an inferior product. I'm mostly going to be using Windows for games, and not much else, so does it really matter? :lol:

Opinions?

You got it the wrong way around Mothperson

The Home edition is an inferior product, by the way.

From what I've heard and read, I definitely agree with meta, however I've never actually used XP Home.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

If you are going to get a new OS you might as well get Vista if your machine can handle it. I got Vista Home premium for $239.99 before tax and so far it has worked out pretty well. Only hang up I had is that Microsoft packaged the wrong Product key with my software and I had to manually activate it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

If you are going to get a new OS you might as well get Vista if your machine can handle it. I got Vista Home premium for $239.99 before tax and so far it has worked out pretty well. Only hang up I had is that Microsoft packaged the wrong Product key with my software and I had to manually activate it.

How well are some of your newer games running, Hades?

manthing2.jpg

I had to lower the settings of NWN2 just a tad. From 1400x1050 x0 AA to 1024x768 x4AA, from high shadows to medium, and turn off water effects, but beyond that NWN2 is working fine. I haven't tried out Oblivion yet but by the end of the month I will be testing out Jade Empire on the system. I am hoping that a CPU upgrade will help out NWN2, which my video card was bottlenecked anyway. Vista Home Premium wasn't made for a lowly Sempron or Celeron CPUs in mind, but so far no significant complaints.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I have one last question: would you recommend either XP Home or XP Pro? XP Pro costs more, but according to Meta it's an inferior product. I'm mostly going to be using Windows for games, and not much else, so does it really matter? :thumbsup:

Opinions?

I agree that XP Home is inferior product. I can't recall exact bits, but I can remember it was highly irritating.

Hades is advocating Vista I see. I too would not want to be the only one spending $240 on nothing. :)

Edited by Diamond

Do not get Vista!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: