Sports you do

Sturm

Instead of the same stuff about computing or how the world is coming to its end again, how bout we talk about what is probabally frowned upon or not done by the fellow members of the Obsidian Forum comunity, sport :shifty:

No, I'm not a stereotype computer geek, but yes I do enjoy my gaming and computing, and on the other hand I do really enjoy sport, well the sport that I do. I'm into rowing in summer, and crosscountry in winter. These two sports are different to the same old ball games, rowing to me is similar to war, it requires an extreme lot of discipline, physical finese, and your constantly fighting and putting yourself out of your comfort zone to get what you want, its always requiring for you to hurt yourself, and always fighting amongst each other to get in the best crew possible.

Anyways, enough of what I do, what do my fellow komaraden do?

Guest The Architect

Nice topic Sturm. :shifty:

Well, where to begin? :shifty: Well, I love me soccer, AFL, cricket, golf and pool (8-ball, 9-ball and snooker) as my profile shows. Back in the day, I started out playing footy as a kid. I enjoyed playing it, but I wasn

Edited by The Architect

I go to a gym three times a week. I guess that doesn't qualify as a sport though. I also run a few times per week.

Every Sunday I play beach volleyball with a gang of friends.

Whenever I get the chance, I play hockey. But we haven't even had snow until this weekend here in Sweden! Might get a little ice-time now that they've promised it'll get colder.

I play football (soccer, to you weirdos across the sea) in the summer.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Tennis and football.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oh, also I'd ski (both slalom and cross country), If I didn't live in freaking Portugal...

Heja Sverige!!

I was alright at ball sports, similar to Architect, I started off playing AFL as my first winter sport when I was about 6, and I stayed with it for a few years until the coach decided to leave and the game became rougher. At my young age I wasnt very tall, quite the opposite really so footy wasnt really my sport, so from then I moved into soccer which I really enjoyed and was fairly good but never had the best team to back me up. All the while I was playing cricket in summer which was pretty exciting because all the people I was playing with we had been together for ages and we knew each other very well.

But when highschool came I had to give it up as school sport was much more full on and I wouldnt have the time to participate in both events outside school. I did both soccer and cricket for the first term but didnt get anywhere in cricket because there where other guys who where miles better, and soccer like usual I sustained an ankle injury. So wanting to try something different a few of my friends where doing rowing so I gave that a try, still being fairly small in size I was the coxen, who is the guy at the front of the boat who steers, gives calls and motivates the crew, and I managed to get in the top crew. Once I grew I decided to start rowing because coxing was getting fairly dull. I didnt do to well as I wasnt as tall as most of the guys, and as strong as those who have been doing it for a year longer then me (and in some cases 2) now I've growen more and become stronger with the stuff we have had to do, and I would never go back to any other sport because its so much different, getting up at 5am to put the boats on the water and row in darkness untill the sun rises. The crew also treat each other differently to other sports would, everyone acts like brothers and would injure themselves for the others during a race or something, and its really tough like almost killing yourselves doing 2000m pieces against better crews, and crews from other schools, then after that having to do another. We all do training for a year untill the big thing, the Head of the River which is where every school competes to gain this title (7 schools are competing) Our school is pretty good, about 2nd all up and can get 1st. Anyways thats my full sports detail rambling :p

Never been into physical exertion myself, when I was in school (before I discovered the pleasure of smoking... cigarettes :p and drinking :( during cross country) I did do Javelin and Archery, I was pretty good at them, and I like pointy things. The High School I went to were too pushy and proud of other students sporting achievements, like sport was the most important thing on earth, which was a bit of a turn off. Also the PE teachers were complete jerks.

I do like running but not for any health/sport thing. I just like the feeling of the wind blowing through my non-existent hair. ^_^

Playing the violin is more satisfying for me than sport. :)

Tips for the young: vodka is more effective than other alcohols because you can better disguise it as water or orange juice. Don't bother hiding your smoking from teachers, be cool and smoke in the open.

Edited by Purgatorio

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

Sturm made post which wasn't spam. No, two of them? WTF? :p

Nowadays I play floorball and futsal in winter and football in summer. :(

I also run and ski. I also do "normal fitness activities" such as presses etc. :)

I don't actually enjoy sports (except for football/futsal) but I do them anyway to keep my physical state good.

edit: And unlike most of finns I can't stand for hockey. I hate it

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

You are yellow and fat, so that sports thing really doesn't seem to be working for you.

Heja Sverige!!

You are yellow and fat, so that sports thing really doesn't seem to be working for you.

:(

Sad isn't it. :)

Not to forget I'm losing my hair, have a terrible beard and drink coke all the time. And run a comic shop. :p

One of those is true though. I love coke :p

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Until this past year I haven't really been much for physical activity. I received an awesome new bike as a gift just before the school year started so I took to riding that to school in the mornings rather than hitching a ride or taking the bus. Until it got too cold to ride I was riding about 6km/day from home to school and back again along with anywhere else I decided to go.

I love skiing, or rather I love downhill skiing, but seeing as I'm the only one in the family who enjoys the activity it may not surprise you to learn that I don't get out nearly as often as I would like to. I hope to be able to pick up some skis at some point this year. My own skis combined with my soon to be acquired G2 Class Driver's License (Hurray for being able to drive without a fully licensed driver in the car!) means that I'll likely be able to get out more often by the time that next winter rolls around. :p

I wish I could ride my bike. One of the pedals broke off Thursday on the way to class and now I need to get a replacement.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

None.

It will probably help my diet if I found a sport that I like.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I've gained a bit too much weight over the last year, so I've been trying to work it off a bit by playing some basketball with co-workers after work. I lack the patience & motivation for non-competitive exercise, so this is a good option for me. They rent a gym from an elementary school once a week (it's 3/4ths length, but the hoops are regulation). Middle-aged bureaucrats are about right for my level of skill and athleticism.

I do need to go buy some more supportive sneakers, though. Sprained ankles are no fun.

Sounds like a good idea, Raven, but I don't have a place to put one of those.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I play hockey once a week in an adult league. That's an excellent workout, and now that our teamis down to 8 players, I get a ton of ice time. I recently got a $175 hockey stick for Christmas and it's made a huge difference, 6 goals in two games >_<

I've also been rock climbing in a gym since the summer. It's just awesome, it's a great way to build muscle mass without the boredom of lifting weights. I've been excited to get to the gym after work and climb with friends. That may come to an end for a bit when my wife and I have our first child in May ;-)

I've also been thinking about turning my rock climbing hobby into a bit of mountaineering. I'm thinking of trying to summit something like Mt. Shasta to see if I like it. I plan on checking out what type of guide programs they have, as I have nil experience, but I think it'd be a great accomplishment. I've been reading a book called "No Shortcuts to the Top" that has been totally manipulating me into wanting to climb a mountain. Although it is a bit disturbing that half of the people the writer climbed with seem to die.

I really dislike sports in all their forms .. watching it/doing it/hearing about it..

but alas I must confess I'm quite into martial arts.. I started when I was twelse and I now have a black belt in Taek Won Do and a brown belt in Karate.. nothing like beating the crap out of a sparring partner (all in good fun) and throwing people around! >_<

And I've taken on 14 pounds since I moved to Copenhagen (and stopped all my work out) .. maybe I should start again.. :ph34r:

Fortune favors the bald.

I just work out 3 times a week.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta