Fallout 3 on the Xbox 360???

karka

The only Fallout-y game I still install and play sometimes (when the mood hits me) is Wasteland. I don't do that for the Fallout's. No idea why.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The biggest problem I have with Bethesda is that they aren't very talented in writing good stories and compelling characters. I can't really picture them writing a dark, post apocalyptic story that isn't PG-13. Heck, I can't even imagine them writing an ending such as the first Fallout had, especially where you

kill the Overseer in a suitable gory manner.

They must have been missing during ToEE.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I think one has to at least wait until some of the features and mechanics have been released by the devs. If we get official info that FO 3 is not going to have any dialogue, no world map, no SPECIAL, and will have linear missions, then we can get into the doomsaying. But until there is official word there's no point on wasting time being all gloom and doom about what may be bad in FO3.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I wonder how they're planning on handling companions, if they plan on doing them at all. If they do go with a first-person game (as seems likely), and it's full real-time action, they're placing themselves in the same realm as the modern FPS, which means, I think, that they're going to be expected to implement some honestly decent AI. Like, you know, taking cover and actually working as a team and such. I don't know that Bethesda has any experience with such complicated AI.

I'd like to see them get the whole Radiant AI system in shape so that it can actually be made to do something interesting too.

Also, for the sake of dogmeat, they need to hire some writers gorrammit. As I understand it, two of their best writers left before the werewolf expansion pack for Morrowind (one of whom was responsible for all of the crazy, cryptic, occult-type stuff in Morrowind that I think worked very well) and they seem to have never been replaced. You could REALLY feel the absence of any literary-minded designers in Oblivion.

I wonder how they're planning on handling companions, if they plan on doing them at all.  If they do go with a first-person game (as seems likely), and it's full real-time action, they're placing themselves in the same realm as the modern FPS, which means, I think, that they're going to be expected to implement some honestly decent AI.  Like, you know, taking cover and actually working as a team and such.  I don't know that Bethesda has any experience with such complicated AI.

As long as the pathfinding for your AI companions is good then it's fine. Anything beyond that and you get into the worse they are the more fallout-like it will be.

Whats that over there? Oh it's a bunch of super mutants! I'm going to go punch him! *gets a rocket in the face*

OR

Don't worry! I'll take care of that rat for you! *full bursts with the minigun at a rat on the other side of the player. Player does a horrible death and the rat lives.*

:-"

Just read an interesting update on STALKER ... seems it is on track and it sounds very Falloutish.

I read a great article in Games for Windows (CGW) about an interviewer that went with the lead developer to Chernoble. They had a tour guide with a gieger counter, and when it started beeping wildly, they had to turn back. That's not really a tour I'm dying to take.

Yeah, they recently mentioned STALKER on Eurogamer too:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=71887

Check out the latest video for it too. It still looks good. Or decent.

Edit: Here's the trailer: http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=1775&s=l

Edit 2: Even newer trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=...ype=mov&pl=game

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

After playing some more Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, I have a measure of faith in Bethesda's ability to do the atmosphere right.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Bethesda didn't make CoC. They simply published it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Hopefully the AI will suck. :)

It wouldn't be fallout if your NPC allies didn't go out of their way to bust a cap in your ass.  ;)

Ah yes Marcus with the mini gun firing from behind you. :ermm:

I don't know why but I always enjoyed giving Marcus a certain injection from syringe I got in NCR.

Bethesda didn't make CoC.  They simply published it.

I thought that at first, but then I thought I read that Headfirst was the one who published. But, now looking at the Gamespy info, apparently you're right.

And apparently Headfirst is working on a sequal.

Edited by Tale

Of course I am right. I am always right except in times I'm not.

And apparently Headfirst is working on a sequal.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting. There was a cancelled PS2 CoC game, and something called Destiny's End which was a third person game set in modern day, but that's not been heard from in years.

I'm not even sure Headfirst even exists anymore.

It's Destiny's End that I'm talking about. Sounds like a sequal from their website. No new news posts since October 27th of 2005. ;)

So, yeah... doesn't seem like they exist anymore.

What, studio that made Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth has met its end? NO! ;)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)