Fallout 3 on the Xbox 360???

karka

One thing that worries me about using the Oblivion engine is getting the look of the Wasteland right. If I can walk out of the Vault and see nothing between me and the horizon but a few bleached gecko bones, I'll get chills. But if they give into the temptation to create scenic vistas where I can see the whole gameworld, I'll be sorely disappointed. The Wasteland needs that Mad-Maxish look of total emptiness.

(The real thing to avoid in using Oblivion's engine is their horrendous learn-by-doing skill & advancement system. It's counter-intuitive, not fun, and encourages all kinds of meta-gaming behavior. Oh, and the total lack of memorable characters, but that's not really an engine issue.)

If they can get the mood and tone that is Fallout right, I'll be reasonably happy. Morrowind was stronger in this area than Oblivion, but that's probably mostly because they went for a more traditional fantasy setting.

No, the real problem would be using the scaled encounters from Oblivion. That was a mistake. I don't think Fallout 3 with the Oblivion engine will be "Fallout," but it might be a great game nonetheless.

The thing for you to do, Sand, as well as some of the other faithful, is to ask yourself, "would I give the game a chance if it didn't sport the Fallout name?" I guess that's the crux of Tale's argument. If you're stuck on the fact that the game won't really represent Fallout to you, then maybe you should try to forget the name and look at it as a different game altogether. Frankly, that's how I view it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If the game comes out and resembles any of Bethesda's past games, I will pass. If it comes out and is 3rd person, sticks to SPECIAL (the basic rules, messing with the skill list is allowed, but the basic system must be intact), and has what appears to be a decent dialogue tree, I'll give it a try.

If it look like Oblivion with guns, I might pirate it. Might not feel its worth the bandwidth.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Soon we should see the first screenshots (In march probably). If it'll be **** then our only hope for real fallout successor is in  AFTERFALL :)

I hope that F3 won't suck much, 'cos I  want to see Fallout's wastelands once again.

That indeed looks promising. Too promising. All those promises, gorgeous screenshots, interesting world etc. makes that look like my dream game. :'(

But I've never heard of these guys and they seem to be from Poland. Another The Witcher mayhap? :'(

I hope for best and fear for the worst.

Anyway, I shall follow development of Afterfall closely... If this game makes up for all it promises, it'll be soooo awesome *theatrical cry of joy*

edit: And really, does the team have financial resources for all that... :)

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

My main 3 problems with Oblivion are 1) Quest arrows that spoon feed you and telling you where to go specifically instead of letting the player figure it out for themselves, 2) how the gameis far more action gamey than what  a CRPG should be, and 3) the interface is too consolish.

If those are your three main problems you don't really have much to complain about.

My main problems with Oblivion are:

1) Skill development system that encourages metagaming rather than roleplaying

2) Skill development system that makes all player characters more similar as they develop rather than less similar

3) Scaling that creates an intenal inconsistency with the gameworld: Bandits have weapons and armor they couldn't possibly have.

I would hope all those would be addressed in FO, but I have my doubts that will be the case.

Still that is not enough to make Oblivion unfun, nor would it be enough to make FO 3 unfun.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

One thing that worries me about using the Oblivion engine is getting the look of the Wasteland right.  If I can walk out of the Vault and see nothing between me and the horizon but a few bleached gecko bones, I'll get chills.  But if they give into the temptation to create scenic vistas where I can see the whole gameworld, I'll be sorely disappointed.  The Wasteland needs that Mad-Maxish look of total emptiness.

I cant say for certain, but I dont think the Oblivion engine can handle maps of real-world size. So the wasteland is likely to be a "country in a pocket" miniland like Cyrodil.

But since that wouldnt make sense in a game like Fallout, they might use the classic setup with areas on a worldmap instead

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Morrowind did wastelands superbly, so I have no doubt that F3 will feature some great enviroments.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Soon we should see the first screenshots (In march probably). If it'll be **** then our only hope for real fallout successor is in  AFTERFALL :brows:

I hope that F3 won't suck much, 'cos I  want to see Fallout's wastelands once again.

48. What operating systems will the game run on?

Windows 9x, 2000, XP, NT and Linux.

It's certainly worth keeping an eye on this development, though I agree they are large on promises ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If it didn't have the Fallout name and had its own original rules, setting, yet still be in the same Post Apocalyptic genre? Yes, I would give it a try but they are trying to pass it as a Fallout CRPG.

There are many things I will compromise on. Updated engine and graphics to allow a more dynamic camera angle is one of them. I wouldn't mind one bit if the game is real time just as long as we also have turn base. Real time would be useful when taking out rats for the thousandth when you are 30th plus level and walking around in power armor and a plasma rifle, but turn base would be best used in tough battleswhen you need to think strategically.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Real time would be useful when taking out rats for the thousandth when you are 30th plus level and walking around in power armor and a plasma rifle, but turn base would be best used in tough battleswhen you need to think strategically.

Kind of like Arcanum, but minus the double speed turn-of-the-century movie effect.

manthing2.jpg

Yeah.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Another good idea would be proper game design and balancing so that you wouldn't be facing those bloody freaking rats in the first place.

Unless you like tedious repetitive combat, I guess.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Yes. Or perhaps a morale attribute, that would prevent little rats from attacking big people, unless they were in sufficient numbers to swarm all over them and eat them before the people could react!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have to agreee with all posts above :lol:

and also seeing how Arroyo is looking after using GECK would be cool.

But it won't happen 'cos it's going to be set on east side. New York, Statue of Liberty, Planet of the Apes... etc. :lol:" :)

I don't understand myself, i know that F3 is going to be a crap & piece of ****, but still I'am pretty excited about the future anouncement. Anyway if it will become a crappy Fallout sequel it may also become decent Post Apocalyptic Shooter.

Edited by Dagon

Without reading through all that chunk I just want to add that Fallout is all about the setting, humor and the society that struggles with the given life. And I can wholeheartedly stomach a realtime combat (or lack for SPECIAL or any kind of number-increasing junk), if Bethesda just catches the spirit of Fallout. Alas, from what I've seen in Oblivion, they aren't good world creators, either. So it's really just a let's wait and see and drink some tea situation right now.

Edited by Morgoth

Like some others in this thread, I'll just say I'm gonna wait and see what Bethesda's Fallout has to offer before passing any kind of judgement on it. Although I enjoyed Fallout and Fallout 2, I was as never really a rabid fan to begin with, so we'll see.

Also want to add, can we please just not give Hades any new info on the game?

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I will find the information anyway. It cannot hide! :(

If I bother to look for it in the first place. ;)

Well, we have had SPECIAL in real time in three different games and each game Real Time SPECIAL sucked each and every time.  What makes Bethesda's Fallout any different?  Especially if they use the same engine style of Oblivion.

The more you complain, the more I hope it is morrowind with guns. ;)

Just so you'll quit complaining about it. :(

I don't like Morrowind with guns.

You know... I was watching the opening movies for fallout and fallout 2 on youtube... and a thought struck me...

I really don't care about these games anymore... not like I used to. :)

As long as F3 is fun, then I'll be happy. Even if it's morrowind with guns. :)

I will always care. REMEMBER VAN BUREN! :)

AARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! :(

;)