American Foreign Legion

Eddo36

Should there be an AFL?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an AFL?

• Yes
    • No

And what better organization to discipline them than the USMC.

Ok, wrong again. One of the reason discipline is so high in the Corps is is Esprit-de-Corps, pride in service, patriotisim, Marine Corps tradition, professional excellence, and love of country is drilled into every recruit from the moment they get off the bus at recruit training until they take off their uniform for the last time. it doesn't always stick with everyone (obviously), but most Marines take that with them even after they are out.

The Foreign Legion has no loyalty to country so half of that is out the window. I'd also point out the Legion is nothing today compared to what it was in the past because disclipline is not as rigid as it is in the Marines today. We worked with a French unit that had Leigonares attached in 1992 during Cobra Gold in Thailand and in 1991 in Subic Bay after Pinatabo erupted. There was nothing special about them. In the past they were a force to be feared but discipline was enforced by brutal punishments. Flogging was common for the smallest infraction. Firing squads for larger offences. The motto of the Legion was "March or Die" because stragglers were often shot. Do you honsetly think the US will allow this kind of discipline? The French do not anymore. That is why the Legion is what it is today, and not what it used to be.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Off topic foot note: I'm pretty sure LG is South Korean.

You are right. I stand corrected.

http://www.lge.com/ir/Corporate_Governance.jsp

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

instead what we have is iraq, they politly asked us to leave but we haven't and so they decended into a civil war.

a) they have not "politely asked us to leave." check your facts. b) they have not descended into civil war, either. at least not yet. and our presence is not necessarily the reason for a lot of the problem. insurgency from iran, however, may be.

The only difference between out empire and the brits or French is that we don't have the consistant leadership that wants one to that degree, and we operate our pet countries with one degree of seperation (you think that we are ever going to let the iraqis go alone until they vote in a pro us government?)

obviously you do not understand the definition of an empire. are they actually teaching in schools anymore?

taks

comrade taks... just because.

but most Marines take that with them even after they are out.

once a marine, always a marine. my brother has been out since 1994, and he's still a marine.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

instead what we have is iraq, they politly asked us to leave but we haven't and so they decended into a civil war.

a) they have not "politely asked us to leave." check your facts. b) they have not descended into civil war, either. at least not yet. and our presence is not necessarily the reason for a lot of the problem. insurgency from iran, however, may be.

except that we upset the only thing that was keeping any sort of civil war in check and were incapable of placing somthing in the subsiquent power vacum in time to keep the rebellious groups in check.
The only difference between out empire and the brits or French is that we don't have the consistant leadership that wants one to that degree, and we operate our pet countries with one degree of seperation (you think that we are ever going to let the iraqis go alone until they vote in a pro us government?)

obviously you do not understand the definition of an empire. are they actually teaching in schools anymore?

taks

Really? An empire requires that sombody have enough time, money, and drive to make it. otherwise it generally just falls apart. America can't have the traditional model of an empire because we don't have any "undiscovered country" to claim as our own and place all our malcontents and unwanted citizens. Instead we have to claim another country and make sure that the selected government we put in place is little more than a puppet with us pulling the strings. Only problem is that where we are trying to put our little empire is exactly where it's not wanted, and so anytime we try to "encourage democracy" we get a group selected that absolutly HATES us so we generally try to find reasons to stick around and try to make it a puppet.

At least until a regime change.

Anyway get off your high horse taks.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Really? An empire requires that sombody have enough time, money, and drive to make it. otherwise it generally just falls apart. America can't have the traditional model of an empire because we don't have any "undiscovered country" to claim as our own and place all our malcontents and unwanted citizens. Instead we have to claim another country and make sure that the selected government we put in place is little more than a puppet with us pulling the strings. Only problem is that where we are trying to put our little empire is exactly where it's not wanted, and so anytime we try to "encourage democracy" we get a group selected that absolutly HATES us so we generally try to find reasons to stick around and try to make it a puppet.

At least until a regime change.

Anyway get off your high horse taks.

Not sure about what definition of "democracy" you are using, but mine says that the people decide who to vote for and that usually results in those leaders doing stuff FOR the voters, so they keep their jobs.

I'm assuming your comment is referring to Iraq, specifically. In case you didn't notice there were 8 million Iraqis (and zero Americans) that voted for the current executive.

democracy

n noun (plural democracies) a form of government in which the people have a voice in the exercise of power, typically through elected representatives. ⇒a state governed in such a way. ⇒control of a group by the majority of its members.

ORIGIN

C16: from French d

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

first, don't we already have this to some degree? there are people serving now who are not U.S. citizens and judges still offer enlistment over incarceration for some crimes.

but, it we are talking about a seperate corps, then I don't think the political will exists in this country for a place hardened criminals can go to "normalize" their life.

it would have to be along the lines of what the French FL currently is (in terms of who can join).

as to its function, I think it would have to be more along the lines of the Marines than the Army, because of loyalty issues.

but, under the right conditions, I think it could work...basically a variation of Bush's Guest Worker program.

Good stuff.

Firstly, imperialism. I'd concede the uS hasn't gone in much for old skool imperialism. But, as 213374U points out you chaps rather missed the boat. You only got into the swing of things in time for empires to be passe. And, I might add, conributed every ounce of your strength to knobbling those that WERE around, more or less out of spite (in my opinion).

However, I don't think it is completely unfair to describe most of America as an Empire. Hell, when you guys seceded (over a one penny tax on tea - WHICH YOU DON'T EVEN DRINK :angry:) I rather think you occupied a small slice of the eastern seaboard. I think France, Mexico, and the Native Americans might take exception to the notion that you didn't trample anyone in pursuit of land. That's ignoring the occupation of the Phillipines, which I really can't believe was entirely peaceful - although I can't say any different.

Secondly, while there are less differences between the Marines and Army of 2000 than in 1800, like colonialism the more things change the more things stay the same. The differences are not so much in equipment but in culture and operational focus. The Marines and Airborne are elite light infantry intended to be sent into the storm first. That means they have to be above all psychologically ready to commit to assaulting the enemy without masses of preparation. That means their officers have to mentally agile, and noncoms have to be determined. The Army can circle aroudn things, have a crack with artillery, let the airforce have a go. The Marines have to bloody well turn up at the appointed hour and make it happen.

And I say that with the greatest respect for the Army. It's a smarter way of fighting. It just happens that sometimes there's no time or flexibility available in the operational context to fight smart.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.