Should marijuana be legal?

thepixiesrock

For example, some kid smokes quite a bit, his reaction time is lessened and he decides to hop into a car to get some grub.  Someone makes a sudden stop and he doesn't react like he normally does.  Next thing you know he collides into the car launching it into the cross walk murdering a young wife with her 3 young children and 5 others shes baby sitting and her 4 cute little puppy dogs shes watching.
And prohibition prevents that how?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

We are talking about drugs not transportation. To drive you have to become qualified and show that you are a safe and responsible driver. A car only becomes dangerous when you, oh i don't know take a mind altering substance and endanger yourself and others. I actually somewhat agree with legalizing marijuana as long as it goes to the people who need it. If they allowed the people who need it to own it while picking up some tax on it, but enforce it heavily so that people who abuse it are seriously reprimanded I'd be fine. Sure it would allow people to get ahold of marijuana easier but once they start to see friends who get reamed by the system maybe they will make it just a one time thing and leave it alone.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

We are talking about drugs not transportation.  To drive you have to become qualified and show that you are a safe and responsible driver.  A car only becomes dangerous when you, oh i don't know take a mind altering substance and endanger yourself and others.  I actually somewhat agree with legalizing marijuana as long as it goes to the people who need it.  If they allowed the people who need it to own it while picking up some tax on it, but enforce it heavily so that people who abuse it are seriously reprimanded I'd be fine.  Sure it would allow people to get ahold of marijuana easier but once they start to see friends who get reamed by the system maybe they will make it just a one time thing and leave it alone.

Freedom imposes responsability. You are free to drink all you like but the moment you get behind the wheel, bubba will be waiting. Same thing with pot. If it were legal you would be required to use it responasbly. If not bubba is waiting.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

so what you're saying is that if a substance consumed can be combined with an action can lead to death, it should be illegal?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

like eating alot of turkey, getting sleepy and then driving should be illegal

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I think it really just comes down to the fact that it's a drug. It's not like marijuana is good for you if you're a habitual user. I know quite a few people who smoke marijuana some on a regular basis, some not. From what i've observed it certainly doesn't help you in any meaningful way.

This is going to spawn a bunch of "Oh it relaxes you and oh glacoma lolz" No one with glacoma uses marijuana, just teenagers and the few young adults who are trying to hold on to being cool or some bull**** like that. People use it because it might liven there night up (or the opposite..), to relax or w/e and thats fine with me, i could really care less but it ruins peoples lives. I know people 2 people who dropped out of school, one doesn't work, the other has some low paying ben and jerry's job, another failed half of his classes in college, another is trying to get into school, and my other friend is in the same situation. Sure you can say thats just a coincidence that I befriend a bunch of retards but they all have something in common and thats they all come from good families, all had something going for them and all smoked weed and now most of them are just losers.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

But seriously guys sodomizing is no laughing matter and neither is drug abuse.  If anything marijuana should be even more tightly controlled and enforced.  I'm not saying felony but if you're trafficking or selling you definitely need to get chilled out.

Edit: And thats why alcohol has restrictions on it.  have to be over 21, ect and it's really entirely up to the person to be responsible for their actions.  Yeah that works both ways, I entirely agree that alcohol is 10 fold more dangerous than marijiana but that doesn't make it any more legitimate.  It's still a potentially dangerous substance.

You don't see the irony in your post?

The USA tried prohibition with alcohol and gave it up as a failed experiment.

I'm just looking for the World Drug Report which states the endemic nature of marijuana use, so prohibition is obviously not working there, either.

It it were legalised then the government could prevent the most vulnerable from (legally) taking it, with the full force of society, like alcohol (admittedly not perfect but it I would expect it works better[citation needed] for alcohol as compared to the attempts to prevent marijuana via keeping it illegal).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

@theslug: I'm guessing you feel both alcohol and tobacco should be illegal?

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think it really just comes down to the fact that it's a drug.  It's not like marijuana is good for you if you're a habitual user.  I know quite a few people who smoke marijuana some on a regular basis, some not.  From what i've observed it certainly doesn't help you in any meaningful way. 

Perhaps you should read the thread [<{POST_SNAPBACK}>] before making swingeing statements.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sure you can say thats just a coincidence that I befriend a bunch of retards but they all have something in common and thats they all come from good families, all had something going for them and all smoked weed and now most of them are just losers.

I don't think its coincidence at all

Ok this is why I try to stay away from debating because i always back myself into a corner. No I don't think either should be illegal because for the most part if they are used in moderation and in a responsible manner they are fine. As for tobacco I think banning it from airports, restaurants (not bars that serve food), etc is fine though since it risks other people's health.

For you people who want to legalize marijuana. You are a manager and you need to hire someone for the most important project of your lifetime. Both canidates have the same qualifications but one smokes weed and the other doesn't. Who would you pick? You're a father, do you want your kids smoking weed on a regular basis?

Ok this is why I try to stay away from debating because i always back myself into a corner.  No I don't think either should be illegal because for the most part if they are used in moderation and in a responsible manner they are fine.  As for tobacco I think banning it from airports, restaurants (not bars that serve food), etc is fine though since it risks other people's health. 

For you people who want to legalize marijuana.  You are a manager and you need to hire someone for the most important project of your lifetime.  Both canidates have the same qualifications but one smokes weed and the other doesn't.  Who would you pick?  You're a father, do you want your kids smoking weed on a regular basis?

If you use marijuana in moderation and in a responsible manner there shouldn't be a problem either.

Also, if I was a manager and had to choose between two people with the same qualifications except that one drinks alcohol and the other one doesn't, I'd probably choose the one that doesn't drink.

If that's how you feel about drugs there really isn't any option for you except outlawing all drugs.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

For you people who want to legalize marijuana.  You are a manager and you need to hire someone for the most important project of your lifetime.  Both canidates have the same qualifications but one smokes weed and the other doesn't.  Who would you pick?  You're a father, do you want your kids smoking weed on a regular basis?

Are you actually reading the posts on ths thread? I brought that up on the last page. You are completely right there. If pot were legal and the HR director decided he did not wand pot heads in his company he certainly does not have to hire them. And if he wants to screen with drug tests, that is fine too. Freedom is a two way street. If you decide to do something you are accepting all of the benefits and consequences. But the government is not your mother and it should not be empowered to give you to bubba for simply doing something it deems "unhealthy" in the privacy of your own home.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ok this is why I try to stay away from debating because i always back myself into a corner.

Good plan. Heaven forbid you replace your cherished opinions with something that has more correlation with fact.

If it were legalised you could ask in the interview "Do you smoke marijuana" and furthermore there would be a cheap test available for you to confirm it.

Really, read the thread.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

All my closest friends smoke marijuana, and all have been sucessful in their professional lives to various degrees. My friend Jesse while doing research at Penn St. (which is somewhat rare for an undergrad) solved some theorem that's been around since the 70's and has a full ride almost anywhere he wants to do his graduate work. I wouldn't say marijuana helped him, but it certainly didn't hurt him, its his choice and he shouldn't have to be fearful to make his choice.

I've hired people who I knew smoked pot and it didn't bother me because its no indictment on character. People who don't care to do a good job won't regardless of their choices in life outside of work.

As for my kids, I'll let them make their own choices, honestly I hope that they would only start smoking after highschool because its easy to go overboard at that time like I did. After recieving the traditional school propaganda about drugs and then experimenting with pot on my own I began to distrust eeryting I was told regarding "drugs". A more open and honest dialogue probaly could have prevented alot of mistakes I made, but I don't really have any regrets, just embarrasing stories. I'd like for my kids to avoid the same pitfalls

I'll just stop now.

Tell us a story!  o:)

This thread, (ahem) is about marijuana, not about (ahem) my personal experiences on other drugs

.......the muffin game? X_X

I don't mind one bit if marijuana becomes legal. There are a number of medicinal uses for marijuana and it is no more mind altering than hard liquor. Just as long as people use the drug in moderation and be smart about it, like they should with alcohol, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"