Should marijuana be legal?

thepixiesrock

smoking at all, not JUST the drug, but this had a more greater and deadlier effect

Its time to start going to class, jorian

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

So you basically just took the pictures out, thanks!

Super-condensed version:

Cannabinoids are used by the brain to fight stress (cortisol); unlearn bad memories, relax muscles, and encourage eating.

Long term effects might include damamge to memories.

;)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Let's end this debate before Jorian decides to tell us pot is responsible for the ice age that killed the dinosaurs.

Let's not legalize, ok? Let's keep the weedy, you know, seedy.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

observing behavior doesn't mean you know the effects

Observation is a foundation of science. Cause and effect is frequently determined by observing subjects in a controlled environment.

EDIT:

But with not smelling it it still goes up to the sky what pollutes the world, and influences the increasing of the many different weird 'natural' cathastrophes what happen now, and will happen later.

The burning of cigarettes and marijuana is most likely insignificant, and as a result inconsequential to the concerns about global air pollution and the greenhouse effect.

The effect that 10,000,000 tons of air pollutants being released in the air is measurably the same as 10,000,000.0000000000001 tons of air pollutants being released in the air.

Edited by alanschu

Observation is a foundation of science. Cause and effect is frequently determined by observing subjects in a controlled environment.

true enough, but I doubt that applies here

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

true enough, but I doubt that applies here

What do you mean? Seeing how people act before and after taking a substance is a decent start. You're results won't be 100% scientific, since it can't take into account placebo effect, and the resulting "roleplay" elements. For example, studies have shown that giving people flavoured water and telling them that it is alcohol may result in them acting drunk. But science has to start somewhere. When you start expanding your population base and try to control for outside variables, your results will become more conclusive, but that doesn't mean that without doing so initial results are worthless. This is how hypotheses are formed.

Yeah, but scientist are qualified to make observations in those circumstances

Edited by Laozi

What do you mean?  Seeing how people act before and after taking a substance is a decent start.  You're results won't be 100% scientific, since it can't take into account placebo effect, and the resulting "roleplay" elements.  For example, studies have shown that giving people flavoured water and telling them that it is alcohol may result in them acting drunk. 

A girl in my psyc class in college actually DID that. She had a keg of Buckler NA beer, poured listerene in a Seagrams bottle and mixed it with coke in front of her guests and had a party. She said it was really amazing how many people acted drunk when they could not have been. It was less than half the people there but more than a few.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

As a card carrying Libertarian Party member I'm going to say yes it should be both legal and taxed. It is potentially harmful but so is alcohol, and tobaccco and moutain climbing and running with scissors, you get the idea. The government is not your mother nor should it try to assume that role by passing laws that protect you from harmful things in life. In the USA at least, the purpose of the state is not to look out for you or take care of you. You need to do that yourself.

Now at the same time, if the company you work for wants to hold you accountable for that activity by drug testing, that is perfectly fine too. Freedom is a two way street. You are free to do it and they are free to fire you for it. But it should not be illegal.

Besides, as a friend of mine once said, "no one ever got stoned and killed their wife."

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A girl in my psyc class in college actually DID that. She had a keg of Buckler NA beer, poured listerene in a Seagrams bottle and mixed it with coke in front of her guests and had a party. She said it was really amazing how many people acted drunk when they could not have been. It was less than half the people there but more than a few.

Doesnt Listerine have alcohol as a base ingredient? Much like you can get hammered on a bottle of Nyquil due to its very high percentage of alcohol.

EDIT: Wiki says Listerine contains 26.9% alcohol. Thats equivalent to Schnapps.

Edited by Gfted1

Doesnt Listerine have alcohol as a base ingredient? Much like you can get hammered on a bottle of Nyquil due to its very high percentage of alcohol.

EDIT: Wiki says Listerine contains 26.9% alcohol. Thats equivalent to Schnapps.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the same though. Like, we learned it in school, that it's not the same. I mean, sure, it's school, but still.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

While we're at it we should legalize black tar heroine. There is a reason why marijuana is illegal because its a drug. It's a mind altering and a potentially dangerous substance, maybe not to the user but to someone around them. For example, some kid smokes quite a bit, his reaction time is lessened and he decides to hop into a car to get some grub. Someone makes a sudden stop and he doesn't react like he normally does. Next thing you know he collides into the car launching it into the cross walk murdering a young wife with her 3 young children and 5 others shes baby sitting and her 4 cute little puppy dogs shes watching. The road is just soaked in the blood of the innocent, it's complete and utter devastation. People rush over to see the carnage. Women are crying, men are holding there wives and children close shocked and filled with grief. You stumble out of the car confused and scared. A squadron of police cars pull up and the next thing you know is you're in jail serving 10 consecutive life sentences, and on top of that big bubba works like clock work. Every morning at dawn you wake up clawing the cell door as your raped and sodomized until you pass out from massive blood loss. ;)

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I think Laozi was discounting anecdotal evidence from some people in this thread.. which is fair enough.

Though at the same time, Laozi was discounting comments from someone under the assumption that if they haven't tried it, it's not possible to accurately report on it.

Yeah, it wasn't possible for the contributors of this thread to accurately form educated opinions on the effects of marijuana through simple observations

While we're at it we should legalize black tar heroine.  There is a reason why marijuana is illegal because its a drug.  It's a mind altering and a potentially dangerous substance, maybe not to the user but to someone around them.  For example, some kid smokes quite a bit, his reaction time is lessened and he decides to hop into a car to get some grub.  Someone makes a sudden stop and he doesn't react like he normally does.  Next thing you know he collides into the car launching it into the cross walk murdering a young wife with her 3 young children and 5 others shes baby sitting and her 4 cute little puppy dogs shes watching.  The road is just soaked in the blood of the innocent, it's complete and utter devastation.  People rush over to see the carnage.  Women are crying, men are holding there wives and children close shocked and filled with grief.  You stumble out of the car confused and scared.  A squadron of police cars pull up and the next thing you know is you're in jail serving 10 consecutive life sentences, and on top of that big bubba works like clock work.  Every morning at dawn you wake up clawing the cell door as your raped and sodomized until you pass out from massive blood loss.  :cat:

The same thing would have happened if he got drunk and went to get some grub.

Thomas Sowell

But seriously guys sodomizing is no laughing matter and neither is drug abuse. If anything marijuana should be even more tightly controlled and enforced. I'm not saying felony but if you're trafficking or selling you definitely need to get chilled out.

Edit: And thats why alcohol has restrictions on it. have to be over 21, ect and it's really entirely up to the person to be responsible for their actions. Yeah that works both ways, I entirely agree that alcohol is 10 fold more dangerous than marijiana but that doesn't make it any more legitimate. It's still a potentially dangerous substance.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

While we're at it we should legalize black tar heroine.  There is a reason why marijuana is illegal because its a drug.  It's a mind altering and a potentially dangerous substance, maybe not to the user but to someone around them.  For example, some kid smokes quite a bit, his reaction time is lessened and he decides to hop into a car to get some grub.  Someone makes a sudden stop and he doesn't react like he normally does.  Next thing you know he collides into the car launching it into the cross walk murdering a young wife with her 3 young children and 5 others shes baby sitting and her 4 cute little puppy dogs shes watching.  The road is just soaked in the blood of the innocent, it's complete and utter devastation.  People rush over to see the carnage.  Women are crying, men are holding there wives and children close shocked and filled with grief.  You stumble out of the car confused and scared.  A squadron of police cars pull up and the next thing you know is you're in jail serving 10 consecutive life sentences, and on top of that big bubba works like clock work.  Every morning at dawn you wake up clawing the cell door as your raped and sodomized until you pass out from massive blood loss.  :cat:

Why not just outlaw driving then?

Edited by Laozi