bioengineering

Walsingham

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6261427.stm

Chickens have become 'biofactories'. Surely this makes a mockery of claims against gengineering, and the bleating of animal rights extremists when we see stuff like this being done? These drugs may arrive too late for our my generation, but there is that hope. I mean, hell, I sponsored one of those oxfam goats for the third world. Imagine if it gave people not just milk, but anti-HIV and anti-malarial medicine!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That would so kickarse.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

This is the beginning of the end for mankind, and the harbinger of the Ultra-mega Chicken

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I, for one, wholeheartedly welcome our new Chicken overlords. It's about time someone wiped humanity from the table, except me, and took proper control of the world. While also giving me a nice cushy job that pays well and has little actual work required.

ALL HAIL THE CHICKENS!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

wiped humanity from the table, except me

CHICKENS!

So you like to get fluffy?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

You know, pointing the obvious is still considered stupid here, which is why your zing fails.

Anyway, I found the news amazing, not actually benevolent in appearance, but amazing.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

:rolleyes:

Very nice, unintentionally poignant, Revan_Returns.

kirottu said:

"The idea of producing the proteins involved in treatments of flocks of laying hens means they can produce in bulk, they can produce cheaply and indeed the raw material for this production system is quite literally chicken feed."

Simplistic to say for chicken feed, with all the Bio-Security it's really quite expensive.

Roslin has bred some 500 modified birds. Their existence is the result of more than 15 years' work by the lead scientist on the project, Dr Helen Sang.

"Bred" meaning: selective breeding, not genetically engineered god playing. It's just a genetic trait so the fundies can go [insert pun] themselves. :- Perhaps humanity should evolve, but if it makes it easier and cheaper, then I see nothing wrong with it. Will this be another religious debate? Or a thread for witless retort? :rolleyes:

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

I look forward to purchasing free-range aspirin. :-

The genetic engineering and general scientific interference takes place at the embryo stage before the chicken is a living being, so I don't think there's much for animal welfare activists to be concerned about.

This is really good news, albeit for the future rather than for the present, but I think it's another reason why developing countries are right to devote part of their wealth to hi-tech industries and research; just as India was able to manufacture generic anti-retroviral drugs, so the developing world will be able to access this technology and circumvent the Western patent-holders, and more power to them. :rolleyes:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I, for one, wholeheartedly welcome our new Chicken overlords. 

Class. :rolleyes:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Interesting article.

Some of the birds have been engineered to lay eggs that contain miR24, a type of antibody with potential for treating malignant melanoma, a form of skin cancer. Others produce human interferon b-1a, which can be used to stop viruses replicating in cells.

As an aside, I wonder if something like this would stunt human evolution. IIRC, arent viral interations critical in causing our DNA to adapt and evolve?

Evolution is probably more largely influenced by phenotype than genotype. Both contribute, but phenotype is more distinct.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Interesting article.

Some of the birds have been engineered to lay eggs that contain miR24, a type of antibody with potential for treating malignant melanoma, a form of skin cancer. Others produce human interferon b-1a, which can be used to stop viruses replicating in cells.

As an aside, I wonder if something like this would stunt human evolution. IIRC, arent viral interations critical in causing our DNA to adapt and evolve?

Hard to say for sure; certainly there is evidence of viral DNA that has been assimilated into the human genome.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well the human hive is certainly working to metamorph into something else.

Evidently chickens will have an important role to play!

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

human hive = ewwww...

Has anyone else read the book by Frank Herbert on that point? Scary.

-Elwood Blues

Nope. Is it humanity becoming more like a hive or ant nest, the metaphor being that the whole organisationism is more than the sum of its parts, and strictly regulates how many of each type of component (or role) that the members occupy to keep it optimally operational?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Oh. And I've come up with an even better idea. A chicken that lays exploding eggs.

-Elwood Blues