Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CRT or LCD Monitor

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
I don't take forever to make decisions. Sometimes, however, the decision is to wait. I almost purchased a 21" CRT today. The voices advocating CRTs won the day. However, I opted against it for a couple of reasons. First, the idea that we're on the edge of a new standard restrained the purchase. Second, my monitor works. Why spend the $500 on a monitor that isn't truly necessary at this time?

So, I'll just keep this little 19" monitor I have right now. ...At least until after the England trip this March. I'll reassess the need after that.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
$500 on a CRT? Hot damn!

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
It's actually $500 after taxes and shipping. The price tag is $473.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824116121

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Hmm well the max res is pretty groovy.

Sammael

Sammael

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

My Samsung 971P should be arriving tomorrow. I'll post my impressions of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grrrr... apparently, my supplier's shipment didn't include any black or midnight blue monitors, so I'll have to wait until next week for them to get a new shipment.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Okay, I've finally taken the plunge and bought my monitor. It's this one here:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824116121

It has mad resolution, great pitch size, and weighs less than 60 pounds. I'm happy. I guess I'm a luddite, but I just prefer my CRTs. Maybe, in the next generation of LCDs, I'll be willing to go to the newer technology.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Looks good. If you don't have a space/weight/power limitation, I can't see why people wouldn't consider a CRT. That's pretty cheap, and a good spec. Tell us what you think when it's plugged in. :*

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9132 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
CRT's still rule.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I will send before and after picture so you can get an idea of how much more space it takes than my current 19" monitor. I definitely look forward to it. I'm usually gone from home between 12-16 hours daily, but my wife can probably muscle it inside the house.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5012 posts

Looks good. If you don't have a space/weight/power limitation, I can't see why people wouldn't consider a CRT. That's pretty cheap, and a good spec. Tell us what you think when it's plugged in. :thumbsup:

I could never go back to CRT after having a LCD .. I might have the space for the bigger screens, but it's just so much more pleasing when you can move it around without having to call a couple of friends :teehee: (I mean - 60 pounds!!).

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
CRT's give me a headache, I cant even watch regular TV anymore.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
:teehee: What have you done to Kaftan, you evil doppleganger?

CRTs do draw a lot of power, and they excrete a lot of waste heat and electromagnetic radiation (primarily directly behind the screen, projected in a straight line) so make sure you don't have anyone permanently situated behind the monitor ... unless it's your nephew. Maybe a bit of radiation therapy might do him some good. :thumbsup:

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
I have one LCD and one CRT screen in my household, so I have the luxury of being able to compare them side by side. There's NO WAY I would trade my old Samsung CRT (admittedly an expensive model mainly used for photo editing by the guy I got it from) for the quite expensive LCD my girlfriend currently has (and I paid for.. argh).

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9132 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
There's some stuff that I'd like about LCD's - less glare for one, weight another - but at least for certain types of work, CRT's still have the best color, contrast, etc etc.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The reason I went with the CRT is that I don't really have a problem with glare at this point. I haven't had a problem with glare since I've lived here.

Frankly, I would probably have dropped more cash for a larger CRT, but I wasn't willing to spend over a thousand dollars for this:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824002139

but it's inferior to the monitor I actually purchased in every way that matters to me except for screen size. Even then, having all that surface and being confined to 1600 x 1200 would be a waste.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9132 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I haven't had a problem with glare since I've lived here.

Where you live affects screen-glare? I'd be curious for clarification/more info on that?

I'm not typically bothered by CRT glare; I do keep my contrast/gamma fairly dark etc., a personal preference unrelated to glare - so perhaps that's partly the reason. But long gaming/photo editing sessions can make the eyeballs start to feel drier than a desert, sometimes. :teehee:

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Oh, I'm sorry Lady. I was just showing my ignorance. I thought glare was reflected light on the screen. I take from your comments it must be the amount of glare that the screen outputs.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
ouch, snark away there ole pal! :sorcerer: i'm sure it was all in good jest... hehe.

anyway, whomever dreamed up the idea of putting a curved mirror in the middle of a room with a variety of lights coming from all directions should be shot. the advent of flat screens helped a bit, but not until some wiseacre figured out that LCD/plasma/related screens all had to have a matte finish in order to work properly did the rest of the rubes decide to follow suit with their CRTs. my tv is a pain, and i'm considering junking it (mentioned in cant's tv thread) in favor of a rear-projection simply for the glare-proof screen alone.

taks

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Wait. Wait! I honestly thought it was my mistake. I wasn't being snarky at all. I mean, I'd read about glare, but sometimes these terms get mixed up. I figured it had to be reflected light. I'm serious, I wasn't being snarky.

...Unless you meant Lady. In that case, all I forgive her. Really, I'm just confused now. If someone could explain what they mean by glare, I'd appreciate it.

What I thought it meant was reflected light. I intentionally have my monitor set up so it doesn't have a significant light source directly behind it. When I post pics later, you'll see what I mean. The room is well lit, but the biggest light sources are to the sides rather than behind.

theslug

theslug

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 403 posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure glare is when light, from say a window with open blinds or a flood light, is hitting the screen causing it to go all insano.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users