Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CRT or LCD Monitor

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10648 posts

plenty of stuff that makes more sense to work with in "portrait" rather than "landscape" orientation really :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well for that, you can flip the screen sideways for an uber portrait view, I don't know how many widescreen LCDs support it, but my Dell one does :brows:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a bit awkward with my current laptop... ;)

But I am coincidentally looking for a new monitor myself (because I gave the old one away when moving from New Zealand to Australia), so I'm quite curious about other peoples recommendations :)

I was actually looking for a new TV as well and decided that plasma screens were preferable (for me) over LCD's because I'm not happy with the colour management in the latter.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
I was referring to desktop LCDs. >_<

As for color issues, my widescreen LCD was pretty pale, but many modern video cards provide options for color compensation, such as contrast and digital vibrance (nvidia setting, ati has similar setting called "radiance"). Setting digital vibrance to medium and pulling contrast to 110% got me satisfactory color.

The only problem is the lack of true blacks, which kinda sucks when trying to play games in the dark. But it should be resolved with the next LCD generation.

Edited by Bokishi, 14 January 2007 - 05:09 PM.

Sammael

Sammael

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I currently own a Samsung 1100 DF (a pseudo-flat 21" CRT) and I have it on 1600x1200. That resolution is way too much for a 19" CRT monitor - you are probably losing eyesight as we speak.

I've had my 21" for roughly three years, and I had to take it in for calibration (the picture was getting blurry) about three months ago. Back when I bought it, TFTs were overpriced junk. However, the technology has moved forward since then, so I am now going to buy a 19" TFT - namely, Samsung's 971p. It'll still be more expensive than what I paid for the CRT, and its default resolution is 1280x1024, but damn, the picture is SHARP, colors are great, and eyestrain will be reduced. And it will take up four times less desk space than the CRT, which has become a concern of mine lately.

Edited by Sammael, 14 January 2007 - 11:59 PM.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Ok, uhm, I have a Samsung CRT at home (19", forgot the model) and I work with three different Samsung TFT's (all 19"): SyncMaster 913TM (which sucks, don't buy it, colours are bleak and ugly and I can never get black to actually look like black.. only some crappy gray), SyncMaster 940B (which is ok, but still not even close to the CRT I have at home) and a SyncMaster 193P+ which is the best of the bunch and still it isn't close to my CRT at home when it comes to colours, contrast and picture smoothness.

Maybe I just don't like TFT's?

Sammael

Sammael

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Samsung 193P was released in early 2004. TFT monitors have come a long way since then.

Wistrik

Wistrik

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 560 posts
I'm using a Samsung Syncmaster 215TW 21" LCD that got pretty good reviews last year. It was priced between $400 and $500, but as always it depends on where you buy it. At work I use its 17" cousin, which likewise has a good picture, but feels very tiny in comparison.

Samsung's 215TW Product Info

When I first got it, I experienced a lot of shearing in 3D games, but an updated monitor driver from Microsoft fixed 99% of the problem. It was a good reminder that monitor drivers are almost as important as video drivers nowadays.

I get great contrast, true black even in a dark room, and awesome colors. It also rotates for portrait view, which is great for PDFs and other page-oriented documents. Games look great so long as I can play them at 1024x768 or better resolution. I almost need to wear sunglasses if I have Bloom enabled in NWN2, but on my monitor the game looks better without Bloom (helps performance slightly as well.) I have the same issue with Half-Life 2: Episode 2 with HDR enabled. In a way it's kinda cool, I get blinded by bright lights just as in real life. Of course, the monitor lets you turn the contrast down a notch if it's too much, but I usually just turn off HDR/Bloom since the games are plenty bright to begin with, at least on my LCD.

Word and Excel love the extra real estate, as do my programming tools. I can compare documents side by side (or flip the screen and compare top and bottom), while keeping the documents at a very readable zoom level.

NVidia's video drivers can automatically preserve the aspect ratio for games that don't support wide-screen resolutions. Thus if I play at 1280x1024 or 1024x768 I get black vertical bands on each side of the screen image. This keeps the images in such a game from looking stretched out. With 3D games that's less of a problem. Samsung provides software that preserves the aspect ratio of such games in case your video drivers don't offer that option.

I recommend reading several tech reviews before you decide to spend your money. I did, and I don't regret my purchase. It's an 'obsolete' 60hz monitor, but the quality is high enough that I won't need to upgrade for another year or more.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

Samsung 193P was released in early 2004. TFT monitors have come a long way since then.

The 940B was bought in April 2006. It's not even a year old and it's still inferior to the 193P+. How long do you think they've come?

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts

Half-Life 2: Episode 2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What? When was that out?
...Or it is just a typo?

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What? When was that out?
...Or it is just a typo?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Typo. :(

Wistrik

Wistrik

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 560 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What? When was that out?
...Or it is just a typo?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Typo. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, typo, sorry about that. It was 1am when I posted so I was a bit loopy. :(

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

... SyncMaster 913TM (which sucks, don't buy it, colours are bleak and ugly and I can never get black to actually look like black.. only some crappy gray ...

Ha! Ha! What did I tell ya about TN panels? :(

... a SyncMaster 193P+ which is the best of the bunch and still it isn't close to my CRT at home when it comes to colours, contrast and picture smoothness.

That would be a PVA panel IIRC. And yeah, TN, PVA, S-PVA or TW-S-IPS, nothing can beat a CRT.

Maybe I just don't like TFT's?

I hear you, man. Sadly, I feel the sheer practicality of flat panels in terms of footprint provides such an overwhelming advantage that the loss in image quality is worth it.

Sammael

Sammael

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The 940B was bought in April 2006. It's not even a year old and it's still inferior to the 193P+. How long do you think they've come?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no comparison between B series and P series Samsung monitors.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
keep in mind when buying an LCD, there are several hangups that can cause performance issues.

first, the native resolution of most larger LCDs is either 1280x1024 or 1600x1200. you'll get your best picture when running in a native resolution mode, which taxes your GPU considerably more than lower resolutions offered by CRTs.

second, many native resolutions are NOT 4:3 aspect ratio (e.g. 1024x768 or 1280x960) which is an issue with many games. many games are designed to only support 4:3 aspects. this will be particularly the case for widescreen LCDs.

if you have a powerful graphics solution, then you shouldn't have a worry. based on what i've seen, however, with NWN2, non-4:3 aspect ratios tend to perform poorly even with newer graphics cards.

just a note...

taks

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
Many modern games take advantage of widescreen, future games are going to have to have widescreen support in order to be a certified "Games for Windows" game.

NWN2 is CPU bound, I saw no difference in performance going from a 7800 to an 8800, however putting the conroe in gave the game a real boost.

Edited by Bokishi, 15 January 2007 - 01:21 PM.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

NWN2 is CPU bound, I saw no difference in performance going from a 7800 to an 8800, however putting the conroe in gave the game a real boost.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i was referring specifically to many complaints that were often tied to widescreens, with 1600x1050 resolution, for example. with such a high, non-4:3, resolution, the game becomes GPU bound. contrast that with my system, which is rather low-end, running on a CRT with 1024x768, with no performance problems (i did have to turn of v-sync, however).

but yes, games are moving to wide-screen support, which will make that a moot point soon enough. i have a 213T (samsung) at home just waiting for a high-end GPU and games that will take advantage of it! :)

taks

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
The big issue I have with LCDs is the preferred resolution. There are still many games out there that I enjoy playing that come with fixed resolutions (typically 1024x768), and I would prefer to not deal with the degradation in image quality as the LCD attempts to simulate the resolution.

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts
yup. native resolution brings with it many problems.

as i noted, i recently acquired two LCDs. one is the 213T from samsung (21"), and the other is some sort of 20" dell. with a 6800, i'd screw myself a new orifice if i switched from my 19" CRT (dell, too).

oh well... dead monitors sitting in my man-cave with no apparent home.

taks

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
Our showcase computer at Uni has a 30" widescreen monitor. Its so awesome I think Ill steal it someday if I cant stop myself. You can have three applications running next to eachother with a wee bit to spare for MSN etc. on the side.

problem is that you cant play games on it. you have to set everything down to be able to run it in 2560x1600 and then all the flaws and jaggies really show because its so damn big.

Sammael

Sammael

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
My Samsung 971P should be arriving tomorrow. I'll post my impressions of it.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

Our showcase computer at Uni has a 30" widescreen monitor. Its so awesome I think Ill steal it someday if I cant stop myself. You can have three applications running next to eachother with a wee bit to spare for MSN etc. on the side.

problem is that you cant play games on it. you have to set everything down to be able to run it in 2560x1600 and then all the flaws and jaggies really show because its so damn big.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With your shiny new processor you can run the games in their own windows (rather than full screen); just start saving for that ATi R600 GPU in CrossFire ..!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users