CRT or LCD Monitor

Cantousent

My 19" CRT monitor, only a year old, btw, is too small. I run my computer at 1600x1200 and I'm starting to wonder about the effects on my vision. So, I'd like to get something larger and I thought I'd ask you good folks about it.

Should I go LCD or CRT? I'm inclined to CRT because I think they're technically superior, but I'm not sure about that. Without delving into the sort of nonsense that plagues next gen console discussions, could you guys give me some advice?

Remember, I don't dwell on these things forever, so I'll likely act on sound advice pretty quickly.

I'd rather not spend over $500.

I don't give a damn about easy of travel. If the CRT is better in all other areas then size, weight, and bulk are a non-issue.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Because I am a resolution whore. I will not lower my resolution. I like the large, empty spaces on my screen. anything that results in lower resolution is not an option. Frankly, if I weren't so cheap, I'd get the largest sized monitor available. Like other folks, I'm on a limited budget and I don't much like the idea of spending more on the monitor than anything inside the case.

I have, however, considered the widescreen LCD. Why is that a better choice?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Cant if you can wait, I would recommend LCD - if you cannot, I still would ... I made the transition this last year and it is wonderful. From energy savings, space saving and picture - all have impressed me.

Check this out, especially if you can wait ...

the inquirer

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I've been really happy with my LCD and I've had it for 3 years now.. the only problem I've encountered so far is that the colours can be a bit pale compared to a CRT .. but that's it.. and that's circumvented by fiddling a bit with contrast and colour in the monitor settings - if you want too of course - I don't mind, but then again I'm colourblind..

Fortune favors the bald.

I'll probably keep my ear to the ground, then. My 19" monitor looks damned good, so it's not like I have to go out and buy one today. If the best thing to do is wait, it's not like I have to upgrade a system in order to play games. I'm looking for a bigger monitor while using my larger ones.

I checked out those links, meta, and I was wondering how the currency exchange would effect my purchase. I liked the idea of a 22" monitor, but I'm curious as to why a 20" monitor is so much more expensive.

Obsidian Plays

My current LCD has rather pale, washed out colours too, sometimes, but there were other LCD monitors in the shop that were much better in this regard (and correspondingly more expensive) - I just wanted the largest screen I could get for my money.

I remember gaming magazines saying in the past that LCD monitors aren't fast enough for graphically-demanding games, but I've never noticed it to be a problem with NWN2 or Oblivion. Maybe the technology has improved enough for this not to be much of an issue any more.

It's been so long since I've done any gaming on a CRT monitor, I can't say what they're like these days.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Cant if you can wait, I would recommend LCD - if you cannot, I still would ... I made the transition this last year and it is wonderful. From energy savings, space saving and picture - all have impressed me.

the inquirer

Cool! I knew resolutions were standardizing on 1080p, but I wasn't so au fait with the concomitant gains in technology.

I'll probably keep my ear to the ground, then.  My 19" monitor looks damned good, so it's not like I have to go out and buy one today.  If the best thing to do is wait, it's not like I have to upgrade a system in order to play games.  I'm looking for a bigger monitor while using my larger ones.

I checked out those links, meta, and I was wondering how the currency exchange would effect my purchase.  I liked the idea of a 22" monitor, but I'm curious as to why a 20" monitor is so much more expensive.

Brand name, quality, etc: just like cars, you can get a good standard brand or a entry-level premium brand for a lower price point.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

For my next computer I am getting a widescreen LCD. Something I can hookup both my computer and HDTV turner to. Currently running with a 20" LCD which isn't bad.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

the inquirer

Sweet, my next LCD will be 120Hz, that should eliminate ghosting :(

It's actually been bothering me for a while ... televisions have had 50Hz and 100Hz models for years, which have their own shortcomings. I think the faster ones cause eyestrain for a different reason, but it is not as bad as the lower frequency.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've got two issues with LCD's... they have crappy colours (compared to CRT's in a similar price range) and they seem to be mostly available in widescreen format now, which suck when you need it for work purposes, not only for watching dvds/divx movies :brows:

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You know, I've seen some remarkable pictures on LCDs. The problem, as I understood it, was how fast the crystals changed during gameplay. Kind of what Steve said. If that's not a problem, I'll go LCD but I'll invest in one with a good picture.

By the way, friend, your sig is total comedy. :Cant's chuckling icon:

Obsidian Plays

I've got two issues with LCD's... they have crappy colours (compared to CRT's in a similar price range) and they seem to be mostly available in widescreen format now, which suck when you need it for work purposes, not only for watching dvds/divx movies :brows:

Umm, which work software? Programs like Word and Excel benefit from the extra real-estate.

Edited by Bokishi

Umm, which work software? Programs like Word and Excel benefit from the extra real-estate.

Hmm... Visual Studio, Microsoft Business Solutions, Various imaging software, various 3D applications, Web design (where you also feel the lack of intensive colours/colour correctness), plenty of stuff that makes more sense to work with in "portrait" rather than "landscape" orientation really :)

@ "Cantousent": By all means, go for the best picture quality. Preferably, you could see a reseller where they have them lined up for comparison. A word of caution though if you do that. Sometimes, they deliberately manipulate image quality in order to sell a certain make a model (actually, that was a warning from my little brother who works for reseller).

You don't have to buy from that reseller, just do some window shopping and then buy the one you like where you get it the cheapest ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

plenty of stuff that makes more sense to work with in "portrait" rather than "landscape" orientation really :)

Well for that, you can flip the screen sideways for an uber portrait view, I don't know how many widescreen LCDs support it, but my Dell one does :brows:

It's a bit awkward with my current laptop... ;)

But I am coincidentally looking for a new monitor myself (because I gave the old one away when moving from New Zealand to Australia), so I'm quite curious about other peoples recommendations :)

I was actually looking for a new TV as well and decided that plasma screens were preferable (for me) over LCD's because I'm not happy with the colour management in the latter.

I was referring to desktop LCDs. >_<

As for color issues, my widescreen LCD was pretty pale, but many modern video cards provide options for color compensation, such as contrast and digital vibrance (nvidia setting, ati has similar setting called "radiance"). Setting digital vibrance to medium and pulling contrast to 110% got me satisfactory color.

The only problem is the lack of true blacks, which kinda sucks when trying to play games in the dark. But it should be resolved with the next LCD generation.

Edited by Bokishi

I currently own a Samsung 1100 DF (a pseudo-flat 21" CRT) and I have it on 1600x1200. That resolution is way too much for a 19" CRT monitor - you are probably losing eyesight as we speak.

I've had my 21" for roughly three years, and I had to take it in for calibration (the picture was getting blurry) about three months ago. Back when I bought it, TFTs were overpriced junk. However, the technology has moved forward since then, so I am now going to buy a 19" TFT - namely, Samsung's 971p. It'll still be more expensive than what I paid for the CRT, and its default resolution is 1280x1024, but damn, the picture is SHARP, colors are great, and eyestrain will be reduced. And it will take up four times less desk space than the CRT, which has become a concern of mine lately.

Edited by Sammael

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Ok, uhm, I have a Samsung CRT at home (19", forgot the model) and I work with three different Samsung TFT's (all 19"): SyncMaster 913TM (which sucks, don't buy it, colours are bleak and ugly and I can never get black to actually look like black.. only some crappy gray), SyncMaster 940B (which is ok, but still not even close to the CRT I have at home) and a SyncMaster 193P+ which is the best of the bunch and still it isn't close to my CRT at home when it comes to colours, contrast and picture smoothness.

Maybe I just don't like TFT's?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Samsung 193P was released in early 2004. TFT monitors have come a long way since then.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.