Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need a Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

No it didn't. Especially the ones where HD performance truly matters most of them went to the Raptor. It did, however, come close enough that the loss in performance is somewhat negligible and it makes up for it with being very quiet and having 7 times the storage capacity.

I think I must have misread most of those graphs. I could have sworn the Hitachi was getting better results when I read it earlier. :ermm:

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
LOL I need two of those in Raid 0

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts

2TB of storage. I really wish I could afford that. :ermm:

Edited by Deraldin, 22 March 2007 - 10:27 AM.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

2TB of storage. I really wish I could afford that. :thumbsup:

In one year you will be able to afford it. You just have to remember that this is Hitachi's 200GB platter version! They have the capability to do 250GB platters already and even bigger platters are on their way, so a year from now we'll probably be seeing 2TB drives in the stores. By then these babies will be affordable. Just like 500GB drives are now!

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6542 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
Does this mean 200GB drives will soon be available for, like, 20 bucks?

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
No, it probably just means that 200GB drives will be obsolete soon, as noone will buy less than 400GB drives.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6542 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
But they'll have to do something with the smaller drives that are already for sale.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts

But they'll have to do something with the smaller drives that are already for sale.

Stock will be sold off and the new, larger drives will be phased in.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9132 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Y'know....I still have no idea how to make XP recognize my entire HD. It stops at around 127GB, but there's 60 more (or something, I forget by now) on there it doesn't "see." Huuby said XP should see it, but he's no XP expert so has no idea why it's not.

Anyone know? I'm sure it's something absurdly simple...

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts
Does your controller recognise more than 127Gb? It might not be Windows that is the problem...

That I should ever utter those words! :lol:

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9132 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah, it does. I just put in a big 2nd drive and it's fine.
I don't know what it is - maybe the disc-maker lied on the box about how much there was. More likely I forgot/don't know some config. thing upon installing it; hubby doesn't forget that stuff. :lol:

tarna

tarna

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

Yeah, it does. I just put in a big 2nd drive and it's fine.
I don't know what it is - maybe the disc-maker lied on the box about how much there was. More likely I forgot/don't know some config. thing upon installing it; hubby doesn't forget that stuff. :-

If I remember correctly Lady, you have an older motherboard. Depending on it's age, it's BIOS will not recognize the larger drives but once WinXP kicks in, any secondary drive will be recognized and controlled by XP. Your primary drive is controlled however by your motherboard's BIOS. If that is the case, you can possibly 'flash' the BIOS of your board to something more modern if possible but that probably isn't worth the risk as a failed flash will permanently destroy your motherboard. Safer to upgrade when convenient. My old P3 wouldn't recognize anything past 137 Gb but would easily accept a 320 as a secondary drive. My newer computer will accept a 300 Gb ( at least ) as primary.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9132 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hmm, very interesting, thanks.
Hubby was fairly sure it should've seen the primary but I didn't ask him why. He has a computer with the same motherboard as mine so if he has it working on his (I don't know for sure, I'd have to ask) it oughta work on mine. I can see where a limitation like that might arise tho.

And yes, my mo'bo is ancient in computer terms, if not in years. Darn tech. :-

tarna

tarna

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts
Since my wording could be poor, I thought I'd add a link from those that actually have a clue...
http://www.pcguide.c...izeGB128-c.html

This could apply to what you are experiencing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users