Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need a Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

Almost put match to fuse to the Presario over that one ( still looking forward to it! Soon. Very soon.  :shifty: ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
NOT a Klingon proverb.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

Almost put match to fuse to the Presario over that one ( still looking forward to it! Soon. Very soon.  :shifty: ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
NOT a Klingon proverb.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know about that. Seems like Tarna is planning on serving it quite hot. ;)

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Well, more a re-heating, I should think. :D

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9096 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I've had a bit off oddness that I'm assuming is the hardrive of late. I have an 80 gb. SATA drive that's about 6 years old. It came in a Compaq boutique type PC, but I transferred it into my new rig. a few years back when I built it. I reformatted the drive back then as well.

Lately it's making a clicking noise and slowing down tremendously. It's not very common, and it doesn't seem to have a specific pattern. I've recently defragmented the hard drive, and I ran chkdsk last night. It didn't seem to come up with any errors. But last night when it locked up, I restarted it and then it kept asking for a boot disk. I had to power down completely to get the OS back up.

Anyways, I don't have a problem buying a new one, but I want to make sure that I'm diagnosing the problem correctly. I'm also not looking forward to installing my old copy of XP and having to go through the whole SP installation hassle. Is there an easier way to do that, like making a CD with SP2 on it or something?

Oh yeah, ever since I flashed my BIOS a year ago, my computer won't enter hibernation mode. I get some compliance error. I assumed that was a motherboard issue, but I wonder if it's a hard drive issue as well.

Edited by Hurlshot, 23 January 2007 - 11:20 AM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 9096 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
This is a quickie:

Would it be a problem to plug in my new hard drive with the old one, and transfer all the files from one to the other? Will that mess up XP in any way?

tarna

tarna

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts
Ouch! Sounds like the drive bearing is going out. If that's the case, it'll only get worse. One way of diagnosing if it is truely bearing drag would be to read the current draw on the yellow wire of your power plug for the hard-drive. That is the 12 volt supply that spins the drive motor. You should be able to get a very cheap ammeter from Radio Shack or a car parts store ( about $20 USD ). Make sure it will read DC current! Compare what your meter shows to what the drive is rated at @12 volts. My Seagate drive is rated 0.34 amperes @ 12 VDC. Your drive should have it's voltage/amperage ( or current ) ratings printed on the label with the model/serial numbers. If your meter will not read a value less than 1 reliably, coil the yellow wire a few times and read it again. Each additional wire being read will add that same value. It's called a 'multiplier coil' BTW. 3 wraps = 3X actual current. 7 wraps = 7X actual...you get the drill. Take your reading and divide it by the number of wraps and that will give you your actual current draw. Sometimes you have to do this to get a usable reading if your meter will not read discrete signals.

Anyway, the jist of this is that if your drive is reading at or above the rated current for the 12 volts section, your drive motor is on it's way out. Transfer the info ASAP.

Does it do it at startup or only after it has been running a while and has had a chance to heat up?

If it's heating up and causing the motor drag then I have another suggestion. The drive is still toast but I have a way for you to get the info off the drive before it completely locks up on you.

Would it be a problem to plug in my new hard drive with the old one, and transfer all the files from one to the other? Will that mess up XP in any way?

I don't think you can transfer Windows or any other application from drive to drive like that. Maybe someone here knows something about drive cloning. I think drive cloning has to be done on a seperate computer though with the 'source' drive and the 'receiving' drive plugged into it. Never done it myself though so I'm just talking out my ass here. :shifty:

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 9096 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I went and bought a new drive for security, and I plugged it in. It actually came with software that allowed me to transfer all the information off the old drive onto the new drive and designate it as the master. Once the info was copied, I changed the boot order in my BIOS and formatted the old drive. Now I have a backup drive that's a bit unreliable, but I can always pull it out if need be.

Surreptishus

Surreptishus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1347 posts

I went and bought a new drive for security, and I plugged it in.  It actually came with software that allowed me to transfer all the information off the old drive onto the new drive and designate it as the master.  Once the info was copied, I changed the boot order in my BIOS and formatted the old drive.  Now I have a backup drive that's a bit unreliable, but I can always pull it out if need be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What drive is this?

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 9096 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It was a Western Digital 160 gb. SATA drive. My old one was a Western Digital 80 gb., but it wasn't SATA - or at least it wasn't connected to the SATA ports on my motherboard. That's probably because I didn't hook it up correctly way back when I built the computer. It seems to have made quite a performance difference.

tarna

tarna

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

I went and bought a new drive for security, and I plugged it in.  It actually came with software that allowed me to transfer all the information off the old drive onto the new drive and designate it as the master.  Once the info was copied, I changed the boot order in my BIOS and formatted the old drive.  Now I have a backup drive that's a bit unreliable, but I can always pull it out if need be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I forgot about that. Western Digital comes with "Data Lifeguard Tools". I'd used it to wipe drives ( writes zeros to all sectors ) but had not used any of the other features.

Did you make the boot disc to transfer the drives or were you able to do in Windows?

I wonder if it will work with other brands of drives...

tarna

tarna

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

...but it wasn't SATA - or at least it wasn't connected to the SATA ports on my motherboard.  That's probably because I didn't hook it up correctly way back when I built the computer.  It seems to have made quite a performance difference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D You probably had a IDE ( otherwise now known as PATA (parallel ATA as opposed to serial ATA )) drive. You had the one with a wide, grey ribbon cable. You had it hooked up right or it wouldn't have worked at all. SATA is much better so you noticed an immediate performance improvement. SATA 2 is supposed to be even better but since my motherboard wouldn't run at those speeds ( I don't think. Now I'm gonna have to check. ), I had to back my new drive's speed down to a SATA 1.
Something that also might have been a factor is that I've been told that as a drive becomes full of junk, programs, et cet, performance suffers since your computer uses part of the hard drive as it's virtual memory. If your drive is packed full of stuff, it's virtual memory becomes less and less ( it has less of a 'scribble sheet' to keep track of it's computations ) and therefore bogs down.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 9096 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Wow, Tarna explained exactly what I did, but in much better terms. I'm going to appoint you as my technical representative for now on :p

And yes, I was able to do the entire transfer in windows, without a boot disk. The only oddity was that I had to validate XP and Office once again due to the hardware change, but that didn't require any special codes or anything.

tarna

tarna

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 311 posts

Wow, Tarna explained exactly what I did, but in much better terms.  I'm going to appoint you as my technical representative for now on :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only because I have a POS internet rig and I fiddle with it more than you had too to keep it running ;) .

I am 'so' looking forward to replacing the last item ( motherboard et al ) and applying my own special blend of thermite and aerosoled propane to give it a decent burial. :p Been thinking that ammonium tri-iodide and a bullet might be fun. Tannerite is looking good too. I really hate this drag-ass motherboard and it's 256 Mb RAM limitations. The processor fan squeals at me on a regular basis. Puting it out of it's misery would only be a courtesy. ;)

Throwing it in the bottom of a public outhouse and defecating it myself would probably much more appropriate but not nearly as satisfying as sending it in the fast bus to Heaven. o:)

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

It seems to have made quite a performance difference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the most impressive upgrades is always the harddrive: these guys improve at or beyond the Moore's Law curve, so a year makes a HUGE difference.

The complexity for minimum component costs has increased at a rate of roughly a factor of two per year ... Certainly over the short term this rate can be expected to continue, if not to increase.

Something that also might have been a factor is that I've been told that as a drive becomes full of junk, programs, et cet, performance suffers since your computer uses part of the hard drive as it's virtual memory. If your drive is packed full of stuff, it's virtual memory becomes less and less ( it has less of a 'scribble sheet' to keep track of it's computations ) and therefore bogs down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I finally moved all my games off my C:\ drive, as I noticed that it had just over 1GB of free space (and I couldn't play Half-Life 2 after about thirty seconds due to a ferocious virtual memory thrash of the HD); even though it's all the same physical harddrive, the 10GB+ buffer should allow me to avoid this sort of inconvenience in the future. :o

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Hitachi have just announced the 1TB drive: Deskstar 7K1000 (3" unit using perpendicular technology, where the bits stand up, rather than lying flat), for under US$400 (EIDE and SATA-2).

They have a PVR model that is "bedroom quiet", the 1TB CinemaStar 7K1000.

Another clickie

Posted Image

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts
Anandtech has tested the new 1TB drive from Hitachi. I think this quote sums it up pretty well:

"Overall, we think Hitachi's Deskstar 7K1000 is the best 7200rpm drive we have tested to date."

Source: http://www.anandtech...aspx?i=2949&p=1

This (together with the fact that Hitachi constantly wins hardware tests in most Swedish publications too) is the reason why I only buy Hitachi.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
*twitch twitch* :thumbsup:

I want one...

HELL! I WANT 4! :ermm:

*twitch twitch* :ermm:

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9112 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I need one of those now, because lately I've been saving in tif's, and my relatively small HD is disappearing rapidly. :D

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts

Anandtech has tested the new 1TB drive from Hitachi. I think this quote sums it up pretty well:

"Overall, we think Hitachi's Deskstar 7K1000 is the best 7200rpm drive we have tested to date."

This (together with the fact that Hitachi constantly wins hardware tests in most Swedish publications too) is the reason why I only buy Hitachi.

It beat the 10k 150GB Raptor in most of those tests. :sweat:

Spider

Spider

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2172 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It beat the 10k 150GB Raptor in most of those tests. :ermm:

No it didn't. Especially the ones where HD performance truly matters most of them went to the Raptor. It did, however, come close enough that the loss in performance is somewhat negligible and it makes up for it with being very quiet and having 7 times the storage capacity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users