Wii Outsold PS3 In Japan By More Than 2:1

yeah it's not like the Wii even tries to compete with the PS3 and 360's hardware capabilities. They're really completely different game systems; I don't even know if you can say one is better than the other, although you could probably argue PS3 over 360 or vice versa.

And I think Nintendo does lose money with every Wii, but I think that's standard procedure. It's why there are so many accessories like controller sleeves, disk books, carrying cases, games, guides, so many different controllers, SD cards, etc etc etc. What a company loses on its console it makes back tenfold on accessories.

So does MS on the xbox 360.... :crazy:

Nintendo is aiming to win the 'console war' just like the other two are. Right now it's winning against Sony (likely temp, imo) while losing to MS.

I have a funny feeling a year or so now most non gamers who are having 'fun' with the 'Wii' will likely gotten bored... or sick and tired of brekaing their windows, tv screens, or even their necks....

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Nintendo Co. Ltd. sold 604,200 of its new Wii video game consoles in the United States in December, beating Sony Corp., which sold 490,700 units of its new PlayStation 3, according to retail market research firm NPD.

Microsoft Corp. sold 1.1 million Xbox 360 video game consoles to consumers in December."

MS for the win. :lol:

You forgot to mention that the DS sold 1.6 million and the PS2 1.4 million in December in the US as well, according to the NDP.

The DS too, with its pointless second screen and hilarious touchscreen controls (using a stylus to draw stuff on the screen, for games? ROFLTUNASANDWICH), is also a gimmick, only made for non-gamers.

The DS is also the fastest-selling console worldwide ever. Even the mighty PS2 didn't grow this fast at the same point in its life.

If you look at the top 30 games sold this week in Japan, 26 of them are on Nintendo systems. If you look at the top 15, they're all Nintendo.

However, as Volo says, catering to a new market while still providing 'hardcore' games, at the cost of having weaker specs, does not print money. Even if you're selling really well in all regions.

Not to mention that among the top selling DS games are completely traditional games like New Super Mario Brothers and Pokemon. Just because a system allows for new control schemes doesn't mean you can't make traditional games.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

"Nintendo Co. Ltd. sold 604,200 of its new Wii video game consoles in the United States in December, beating Sony Corp., which sold 490,700 units of its new PlayStation 3, according to retail market research firm NPD.

Microsoft Corp. sold 1.1 million Xbox 360 video game consoles to consumers in December."

MS for the win. :lol:

Had Nintendo come through with their promise of 4 million Wii's by the end of December they would have smoked the 360.

Obsidian, what are your thought on making a game for the Wii?

that's not for here... there is a thread in the devs corner around that though

As to the 360 vs wii vs ps3, I must ask which december are we counting for the Box and, the fact that the wii wasn't getting out of factories fast enough (selling an entire shipment of wiis in 30- minutes AND having a line to get the wii for two or three days before hand for two months strait proves this).

the 360 has little to show for it's year long exsistance, it JUST got Gears, and the only other thing that's exclusive and is considered a "must have" is dead rising. otherwise everything else is generally considered somthing that might be interesting but isn't a killer app, or complete crap, or is a port from another console.

Oblivion was on the 360 but it also could be played with better support and other goodies on the PC.

As of now, I'm guessing that ULTIMATLY the ps3 will outsell the 360 by virtue of the fact that in order to get the japanese market Microsoft would have to practically hand them each an Xbox and a copy of the game of their choice.

If sony was nicer to their consumer they might have gotten a bit more sales (the system breaking down will generally result in sony telling you it was your fault it broke, the Blu-ray thing, and the fact that SUPPOSEDLY they would try to write games to the consoles so that the game couldn't be used on another ps3 (note: this is hearsay)) and generally I've seen some of my coworkers at gamestop try and discourage people from buying the PS3 right now because of it's technical mishaps and problems.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

not surprised.

the playstation too will be weaded out and go the way sega did.

down to making games only, and still losing buisness, im not planing on buying another console

Sony will still give it another shot in about 5 or 6 years when the next generation of consoles comes again. SCEA is publishing, not actually designing and making games (to my knowledge) and the fact that Sony is so big that it can afford to take a loss on the PS3 to see if their gambit works means that when another generation comes to pass they'll still be in the running (they just swapped spots with nintendo for this generational transition)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So does MS on the xbox 360

I thought the XBOX 360 was a loss leader?

Volourn is having f

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

We does everyone get this sort of information? I mean, I'm curious enough to want to know, but I thought most companies hid those kinds of details.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"You forgot to mention that the DS sold 1.6 million and the PS2 1.4 million in December in the US as well, according to the NDP."

I thoguht this was a discssion about the next gen systems. My sorries.

"thought the XBOX 360 was a loss leader?"

Not anymore. It was announced a few months ago that MS is now making $70-$80 on each xbox 360 that is sold.

I'll try to find a link for it. You do a search too, if you can.

"However, they do make a loss on each console sold by itself. Only Nintendo makes money from the console itself."

No.

"We does everyone get this sort of information? I mean, I'm curious enough to want to know, but I thought most companies hid those kinds of details."

It's called the internets. :blink:

Edited by Volourn

I love the internets, but I don't always trust them. For example, I also thought that Microsoft announced that the 360 was no longer a loss leader.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163838.html

A more recent article. It's talking more about a possible future price drop; not profit. But, in the article it refers to MS earning $50 profit on each xbox 360. So, my price was off by a bit ($20-$30).

Still...

Game over, MAN, game over.

Not anymore. It was announced a few months ago that MS is now making $70-$80 on each xbox 360 that is sold.

It's finally cheap enough to assemble and sell at a profit? that was new. One can wonder how long it takes for Sony to turn it PS3 into profit/console.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's not a thought. It's true. I know MS haters don't want to hear it; but it's true.

Hahahahaha

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Obsidian, what are your thought on making a game for the Wii?

I think many of us here would love to do a Wii game, most of my design group either has or badly wants one.

But game dev is a business, and it depends on what the publishers want to pay for and what Obsidian as a company needs to do both for itself as a business and for positioning itself as a healthy company.

That said, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, just not happening right at this moment.

Why no Nintendo Wii development

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I wonder when that came about Volourn.

Back in November, they were taking a loss of $126, as per Gamespot as well.

I did find a blog that said $76, but that comes before the Gamespot article.

Business Week, a mere 1 day prior to Gamespot's November article, said it was only losing $71 per unit, but that's not including the other items that get packaged, and they confirmed the $126 loss that Gamespot did.

I imagine the new process for the processor will cut costs (by increasing yields), so that would help. Though that's quite a recent phenomenon too.

According to the November article, the cost doesn't include labour.

Edited by alanschu

Id just like to add to the debate that neither Sony or Microsoft are making a loss with their current consoles, nor have they done with their previous ones. Its just a bunch creative mathematics and PR, if they made a loss selling consoles, they wouldnt do it.

Regarding the whole "hardware worth 400 selling for only 200"; if you buy one unit of ChipX it will cost $5, if you make a deal to purchase 10 million units of ChipX, you will be able to buy them for $0.05 per unit instead. And so on.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Its just a bunch creative mathematics and PR, if they made a loss selling consoles, they wouldnt do it.

Apparently you are unfamiliar with the term loss leader.

Gillette was very happy to give away his razor handles (in other words, sell it at a loss), because he'd make the money back through selling razor blades.

Microsoft and Sony are very happy to sell you a console at a loss, if it means making millions selling the games.