Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Itunes: Biggest piece of crap ever?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Dark Moth

Dark Moth

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1613 posts
And another thing: people have been mentioning this mini iTunes store on the new version that follows you everywhere. I've seen it on other people's iTunes, but never on mine. And I have the newest version (version 7). :aiee:

kumquatq3

kumquatq3

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3477 posts

If you're dumb enough to buy an ipod then you deserve itunes

Having a 2nd gen Ipod Nano, I'd argue it's about a damn near perfect music player.

Darth Drabek

Darth Drabek

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I prefer the ripper off of my old Samsung Y-55 to the itunes program.
And I have next to no intentions of using the music store.  That's what Laozi and Drabek are for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

I do what Wals and Plano do. If I pay money for something, I want something more to show for it than a computer file. I want to be able to burn it to a CD, as many times as I want, for my own personal enjoyment. I shouldn't have to circumvent any restrictions to do this. Music that I've paid for shouldn't be locked in my PC.

I want to be able to create my own mp3s by ripping them off my CDs, or even from friends' CDs. I don't see that as any different as taping a song I like off the radio, like everybody used to do back before the digital revolution. If I like an album well enough, I'll want to add it to my collection. So then you buy it - less disappointment that way.

I had a 128 MB Creative player for a few years. When it died on me, I bought a 512 MB Sansa that does everything I want and nothing I don't want.

I bought my parents iPod shuffles just because neither of them are tech-savvy, and they won't be buying any music online - just ripping it from CDs and putting it on their Shuffles.

Dark Moth

Dark Moth

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1613 posts

Having a 2nd gen Ipod Nano, I'd argue it's about a damn near perfect music player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What capacity? Because I'm looking to buy a 4GB nano once I have the money. Right now I have a 1st gen 2GB model. I don't think I'd ever pay $250 to get an 8GB nano, though. If I were to spend that much money on an mp3 player, I'd just make the jump from a nano to a regular iPod for almost the same price and get much more bang for my buck. :)

kumquatq3

kumquatq3

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3477 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What capacity? Because I'm looking to buy a 4GB nano once I have the money. Right now I have a 1st gen 2GB model. I don't think I'd ever pay $250 to get an 8GB nano, though. If I were to spend that much money on an mp3 player, I'd just make the jump from a nano to a regular iPod for almost the same price and get much more bang for my buck. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got the 8 GB as a gift from my sis (for $200 on sale). Because I don't much care about video playback and I wanted it partially for working out (not to meantion that nifty nike running attachment), I asked for the Nano. I know it doesn't necessarily look it unless you have both in front of you, but it's ALOT smaller and lighter than a regular Ipod. Plus the battery life is 20+ hours and it holds (according to Itunes) 4-5 days worth of music, which is very respectable.

Edited by kumquatq3, 11 January 2007 - 12:35 PM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9096 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

:)

I do what Wals and Plano do. If I pay money for something, I want something more to show for it than a computer file. I want to be able to burn it to a CD, as many times as I want, for my own personal enjoyment. I shouldn't have to circumvent any restrictions to do this. Music that I've paid for shouldn't be locked in my PC.

I want to be able to create my own mp3s by ripping them off my CDs, or even from friends' CDs. I don't see that as any different as taping a song I like off the radio, like everybody used to do back before the digital revolution. If I like an album well enough, I'll want to add it to my collection. So then you buy it - less disappointment that way.

I had a 128 MB Creative player for a few years. When it died on me, I bought a 512 MB Sansa that does everything I want and nothing I don't want.

I bought my parents iPod shuffles just because neither of them are tech-savvy, and they won't be buying any music online - just ripping it from CDs and putting it on their Shuffles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I consider the $15 fee for most subscription based music stores a reasonable price for near unlimited music. I can still buy songs with the service individually and burn them to a CD, but I don't see the point in doing that. I can put a ton of music on my computer and I believe up to two players, and they stay there as long as I have a subscription. It's like having access to a bunch of radio stations where you can skip songs and don't have to listen to commercials. If I cancel my subscription, the music disappears, but that doesn't devastate me. I can regain them at any time for another $15.

It's a lot more cost effective than buying tons of CD's, but in essence it just depends on how much music you listen to. I personally bought maybe one CD a month, but that was enough to warrant the cost of a subscription. It was the same cost for a heck of a lot more music, and I don't mind it being tied to my PC and player because that's all I use.

Krookie

Krookie

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3742 posts
I use iTunes. Probably because it's the only thing my dad/sister can figure out how to use.

I don't mind it so much.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
I don't listen to music.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Did i mention DRM sucks!!!!! Digital Rights Management. The agreement where you buy music from itunes and you don't own the license to your own music thus the person is really only renting music from itunes so they can inevitably rent it again and again. Just like Hollywood wants you to buy the next big thing now, BluRay  so you can buy all your movies over and over again thus they have a steady income.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Though I don't like DRM either, what you are saying is illogical. How is restricting music distribution via DRM equates to releasing a media in a new format?

P.S.
You can circumvent Apple's DRM anyway, why does it matter?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Illogical?
If DRM Sucks and BluRay and iTunes have DRM, then BluRay and iTunes Suck.

Why does it matter? I think DRM violates my rights as a consumer, and so I choose not to support it.

Edited by WITHTEETH, 11 January 2007 - 04:40 PM.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
That's not a fault of DRM, it is a poor implementation by greedy producers. :(

Kor Qel Droma

Kor Qel Droma

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1738 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:burnoutboi
I cracked 1500 songs in my itunes tonight. I'm just getting started.

Dark Moth

Dark Moth

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1613 posts

I got the 8 GB as a gift from my sis (for $200 on sale). Because I don't much care about video playback and I wanted it partially for working out (not to mention that nifty nike running attachment), I asked for the Nano. I know it doesn't necessarily look it unless you have both in front of you, but it's ALOT smaller and lighter than a regular Ipod. Plus the battery life is 20+ hours and it holds (according to Itunes) 4-5 days worth of music, which is very respectable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good deal. If it did cost $200, I definitely would buy the 8 GB model. I guess the only real reservation I have against getting that model is that at $250, you could get a regular iPod for about the same price and get a lot more songs (2000 for the 8GB Nano vs. 7,500 for a 30 GB iPod), plus video playback (and games, though I personally don't care about that). Then again, it is a lot bigger, and the battery life is actually considerably less than that of the Nano. So I guess it depends on what you want out of it. :crazy:

Anyhoo, iPod + iTunes is teh roXorZ.

Edited by Dark Moth, 11 January 2007 - 10:53 PM.

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts

Why does it matter? I think DRM violates my rights as a consumer, and so I choose not to support it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So don't support it. Circumvent it. :rolleyes:

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Let's not let the casual public reader to Obsidian's commercial website think that anyone here would condone anything even remotely shady: I'm sure you were talking about buying music via the traditional methods, CD, DVD, etc. :)

kumquatq3

kumquatq3

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3477 posts

Let's not let the casual public reader to Obsidian's commercial website think that anyone here would condone anything even remotely shady

You heard him boys, pack up the sheep. :)

roshan

roshan

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts

And another thing: people have been mentioning this mini iTunes store on the new version that follows you everywhere.  I've seen it on other people's iTunes, but never on mine.  And I have the newest version (version 7).  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably because you installed it over the old version after turning off the store.

I saw it on my friends itunes and spent about 5 minutes trying to take it off but couldnt figure out how. I gave up, after all, its her problem not mine.

I wonder what makes them think that shoving their goods in customers faces is going to make their customers give them more money? If anything they would probably just get pissed off. The store was obtrusive enough in the previous version.

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts

I wonder what makes them think that shoving their goods in customers faces is going to make their customers give them more money? If anything they would probably just get pissed off. The store was obtrusive enough in the previous version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently the majority of people don't think so, as iTunes sales more than quadrupled.

Edited by Diamond, 13 January 2007 - 09:20 AM.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Most people are prepared to pay for convenience, especially in this modern "time-poor" culture we have.

If iTunes works, and it isn't obnoxiously expensive, then the people will use it (after all, it's an innovation, and better than what they were using before).

It's all about marketing: finding the right spot and price for a product. :blink:

Dark Moth

Dark Moth

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1613 posts

Probably because you installed it over the old version after turning off the store.

I saw it on my friends itunes and spent about 5 minutes trying to take it off but couldnt figure out how. I gave up, after all, its her problem not mine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I just realized that.

By the way, it's very easy to turn off. In the menu bar at the top, click on View > Hide Ministore

:)

Edited by Dark Moth, 13 January 2007 - 01:18 PM.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I wonder what makes them think that shoving their goods in customers faces is going to make their customers give them more money? If anything they would probably just get pissed off. The store was obtrusive enough in the previous version

Just like TV commercials are nothing more than annoying inconveniences as well, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users