Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Itunes: Biggest piece of crap ever?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Laozi

Laozi

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2905 posts

Actually I don't care one way or another.  I just posted that because i thought it was funny.  :aiee:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What was funny?

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Did i mention DRM sucks!!!!! Digital Rights Management. The agreement where you buy music from itunes and you don't own the license to your own music thus the person is really only renting music from itunes so they can inevitably rent it again and again. Just like Hollywood wants you to buy the next big thing now, BluRay so you can buy all your movies over and over again thus they have a steady income.

Edited by WITHTEETH, 10 January 2007 - 07:03 PM.

Plano Skywalker

Plano Skywalker

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1777 posts
If I get an iPod, it will be because of the intuitive interface, not the prospect of buying music from Apple. I agree that, if buying individual songs is what you are interested in, Apple is not the thinking man's solution.

However, I like that iTunes is both a player and a ripper.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9098 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Why do you need to own your music? The only possible reason seems to be so that you can burn CD's, but with all the MP3 player stuff nowadays, CD's are on their way out as a media device. I just don't understand the fascination with owning music. As long as I have a subscription, I have access to 2 million songs. If I cancel my subscription, I lose that access. Big whoop.

I actually don't know how iTunes works, I can only speak for the MP3 sites like Rhapsody, Napster, and Urge.

Kor Qel Droma

Kor Qel Droma

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1738 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:burnoutboi
I prefer the ripper off of my old Samsung Y-55 to the itunes program.
And I have next to no intentions of using the music store. That's what Laozi and Drabek are for.

Dark Moth

Dark Moth

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1613 posts
I don't know what all the fuss here is about iPods and iTunes. I've been using both for almost a year now and haven't had any problems whatsoever. I find both hassle-free and easy to use. Then again, maybe my having a Mac has something to do with it.

Kor Qel Droma

Kor Qel Droma

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1738 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:burnoutboi

The iTunes now suckz0r, I dont like the spamm'd inbuilt iTunes store that follows you everywhere you go when browsing through your music, Apple is taking iStalking to the next level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it was as bad as you say it is wouldn't we have had a few itunes spambots on the board by now? Huh?

Edited by Kor Qel Droma, 10 January 2007 - 10:41 PM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts

Yeah, Ive got the same problem. This might be due to the CPU usage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It skips on my Conroe. I don't think it's CPU usage but a bug.

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4040 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why do you need to own your music?  The only possible reason seems to be so that you can burn CD's, but with all the MP3 player stuff nowadays, CD's are on their way out as a media device.  I just don't understand the fascination with owning music.  As long as I have a subscription, I have access to 2 million songs.  If I cancel my subscription, I lose that access.  Big whoop.

I actually don't know how iTunes works, I can only speak for the MP3 sites like Rhapsody, Napster, and Urge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really own 99% of the music I have. And I don't use itunes.

I get a lot of gifts.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
The reason why I like to use CDs is that I like to take my music to work and they don't allow MP3 players. They do have a nice stereo with a CD player in it so I often make my own custom CDs with work appropriate music on it.

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts

Did i mention DRM sucks!!!!! Digital Rights Management. The agreement where you buy music from itunes and you don't own the license to your own music thus the person is really only renting music from itunes so they can inevitably rent it again and again. Just like Hollywood wants you to buy the next big thing now, BluRay  so you can buy all your movies over and over again thus they have a steady income.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Though I don't like DRM either, what you are saying is illogical. How is restricting music distribution via DRM equates to releasing a media in a new format?

P.S.
You can circumvent Apple's DRM anyway, why does it matter?

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Did i mention DRM sucks!!!!! Digital Rights Management. The agreement where you buy music from itunes and you don't own the license to your own music thus the person is really only renting music from itunes so they can inevitably rent it again and again. Just like Hollywood wants you to buy the next big thing now, BluRay  so you can buy all your movies over and over again thus they have a steady income.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Though I don't like DRM either, what you are saying is illogical. How is restricting music distribution via DRM equates to releasing a media in a new format?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering the same thing. Blu-Ray is cool if you're a huge movie fan and own an HDTV and want the best picture and sound you can get from your movies, but even as a huge movie fan I was never going to go out and replace my whole collection. Just the ones I feel deserve the HD treatment.

And to stay on topic, DRM sucks. My sister bought the recent Yellowcard cd, and couldn't put it on her ipod because of the DRM. I spent 4 hours finding a way to rip it to mp3 so she could actually use the CD she paid money for.

And I hate iTunes. It screwed up my quicktime so now I can't play videos if I have any other application running in the background that plays sound.

Weiser_Cain

Weiser_Cain

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1633 posts
Itunes is crap, I hope I've contributed to this discussion.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

I was wondering the same thing. Blu-Ray is cool if you're a huge movie fan and own an HDTV and want the best picture and sound you can get from your movies, but even as a huge movie fan I was never going to go out and replace my whole collection. Just the ones I feel deserve the HD treatment.

Check out this cool comparison between DVD and HD:

http://www.cornbread...pare/index.html

I especially like the "Shot 4" (where the hobbits are huddled under a tree). There really is quite a difference.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The reason why I like to use CDs is that I like to take my music to work and they don't allow MP3 players.  They do have a nice stereo with a CD player in it so I often make my own custom CDs with work appropriate music on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That seems like a rather arbitrary restriction. Why no MP3 player, but CDs are A-OK?

Plano Skywalker

Plano Skywalker

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1777 posts
I generally like ripping my own mp3's based on cds that I have (used cd stores help out in this).

Maybe it is just psychological but I do like being able to play music in cd form.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts

The reason why I like to use CDs is that I like to take my music to work and they don't allow MP3 players.  They do have a nice stereo with a CD player in it so I often make my own custom CDs with work appropriate music on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That seems like a rather arbitrary restriction. Why no MP3 player, but CDs are A-OK?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its a stupid rule I agree. I guess people were using them with their headphones on and not dealing with customers appropriately. Personally I don't really see the difference between a MP3 player with a speaker mount and a Stereo.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Couldn't you just hook up the MP3 player to your stereo, and the higher ups would be none the wiser?

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Check out this cool comparison between DVD and HD:

http://www.cornbread...pare/index.html

I especially like the "Shot 4" (where the hobbits are huddled under a tree). There really is quite a difference.

There's no denying the fact that the massive resolutions supported by both HD formats provides an immense increase in image quality. I still feel that most home users do not tap into the full potential image quality that can be extracted even from modest DVD resolutions. For those not yet ready to make the switch to HD, here are some pictures showing exactly what is achievable using a HTPC and some excellent freeware. I might have posted these links sometime in the past, so please forgive me if you've seen these before. Oh, and of course, the difference here is nowhere near as dramatic as mkreku's HD shots (you can't magically generate data where there isn't any), but it's significant enough to make most people throw their DVD players out the window and invest in a HTPC. :aiee:

http://www.htpcnews....showtopic=17427

http://www.htpcnews....d=132&Itemid=54

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer
I don't hold with fething iTunes, because if I am going to pay for something i want to own it. I use a bunch of little creative labs USB based players. They double up as storage and I can use them to make recordings of meetings/interviews and so forth. When they get old/obsolete they get used as permanent storage. End ex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users