Favorite Toys

astr0creep

- Commander Keen

- Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure (!)

I had these two, or rather I had Commander Keen and the Shareware version of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures. Not that it mattered as I couldn't beat the boss at the end of level ten. It dropped you in a big pit with the slippery walls so your suction cup hands didn't work as well and the boss was this giant ball with spikes on the bottom that tried to crush you. I could usually get maybe only one or two hits in on him before I got killed. :rolleyes:

Once upon a time there were the kids with Spectrums, and the kids with C64's, who fought among themselves over who had the best system. And then there were the kids with Amstrads who were looked on with disdain by everyone else. :rolleyes:

Then the Amiga entered the scene and settled the score up until the mid-90's. The biggest frustration of my childhood was that I never had an Amiga, which meant more than not being able to play the *vastly* superior games on that system; practically any other kid at school socialized around Amiga-talk, and an 64'er quite literally, was 'looked on with disdain'.

Perhaps there should be a seperate "Favorite Computer Games while Growing Up" thread?

pronounced: Throatwobbler Mangrove

Once upon a time there were the kids with Spectrums, and the kids with C64's, who fought among themselves over who had the best system. And then there were the kids with Amstrads who were looked on with disdain by everyone else. :rolleyes:

because it was clearly the superior system. DUH!

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

As far as video game stuff, we had the home Pong system. Nothing but Pong.

Then an Atari 2600 with various games (Entombed was a good favorite, but we had a lot. Including the first Swordquest. Never could beat it. But Adventure was the biggy. Loved beating that one).

Then the C64 with Spy vs Spy and Phantasie and Bruce Lee and Archon and M.U.L.E.

Then the NES with Low G Man and 8 Eyes.

And then I was no longer a kid. Bought myself a Genesis when I was in college. I feel old now... =]

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

And other assorted Apogee games. They're all dead / freeware games now, ahem.

Oh man there's some great ones on that list. Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold was a fantastic Wolfenstein clone, set in the future. And Terminal Velocity, man I didn't even remember that as an Apogee game. That was reason enough to have a joystick for your PC!

The Genesis was my first console. I remember playing a lot of Sonic, Street Fighter, Road Rash and NHL Hockey.

there were also the lesser known games, like "Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude." My grandma bought that one for me, presumably because of the nonthreatening-looking fellow with the skateboard and frisbee on the cover. Still, the island-hopping ways of Greendog were highly entertaining - Thanks grandma!

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I remember hugging the walls in Blake Stone while constantly pressing the open door key, to find all the secret rooms.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

- Commander Keen

I had these two, or rather I had Commander Keen and the Shareware version of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures. Not that it mattered as I couldn't beat the boss at the end of level ten. It dropped you in a big pit with the slippery walls so your suction cup hands didn't work as well and the boss was this giant ball with spikes on the bottom that tried to crush you. I could usually get maybe only one or two hits in on him before I got killed. :)

You weren't supposed to defeat that boss. Him killing you was their way of saying "if you don't like it give us money."

I remember decoding the funky hidden alphabet in Commander Keen. so I could see what all those random messages said.

Trust me, it wasn't worth the time.

- Commander Keen

I had these two, or rather I had Commander Keen and the Shareware version of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures. Not that it mattered as I couldn't beat the boss at the end of level ten. It dropped you in a big pit with the slippery walls so your suction cup hands didn't work as well and the boss was this giant ball with spikes on the bottom that tried to crush you. I could usually get maybe only one or two hits in on him before I got killed. :)

You weren't supposed to defeat that boss. Him killing you was their way of saying "if you don't like it give us money."

I remember decoding the funky hidden alphabet in Commander Keen. so I could see what all those random messages said.

Trust me, it wasn't worth the time.

Those jerks! How could they do that to me!? I was only 4 at the time. I didn't have any money to give them. :'(

I never bothered to translate the secret messages myself. I looked them up on the internet years later though. :)

Is that the small European songbird of the thrush family with a red breast and brown back and wings [Erithacus rubecula], (also American robin) a large North American thrush with an orange-red breast. [Turdus migratorius], or any of the numerous similar or related birds, e.g. Pekin robin?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

weeble3.jpg

Weebles! :blink:)

*sings* Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!

And lego, of course, although I mostly used the lego to make things for the weebles to sit in.

I also remember the loneliness of owning a C64 in the Amiga era. And I kept very very quiet about my BBC-B. That was the kind of computer that schools had. :">

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I also remember the loneliness of owning a C64 in the Amiga era.  And I kept very very quiet about my BBC-B.  That was the kind of computer that schools had. :">

The Beeb was the best 8 bit computer ever. Unfortunately it never got the software support it deserved (I had one too for a while) :'(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I also remember the loneliness of owning a C64 in the Amiga era.  And I kept very very quiet about my BBC-B.  That was the kind of computer that schools had. :">

At least you didn't own a Vic-20.

They were universally hated by everyone.

Of course, I had an Apple //e. :blink:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

At least you didn't own a Vic-20.

I fell in love with one of the girls in my class when she told me she had a Vic-20. I was like 13 at the time and it was probably the only time in my life I had my priorities straight. Now I enjoy boobs more. Bah!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

bubble bobble

I have bubble bobble somewhere. A modern PC remake, that is - never played the original.

My favourite game for the C64 was probably the adventure game Eureka! Even though I never completed any of the five segments, they were really well done. I also have good memories of The Hobbit. Thanks to these games, I will always be an adventure junkie. :D

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Funny... the game (The Hobbit) was the reason why I read the book. I just couldn't figure out how to solve some of the puzzles and in the end, I decided "A what the heck!" and read the book. I completed the game and became a Tolkien fan at the time. Off to tbhe library to see what that guy else had written.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein